Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Winter 2016 - 3 weeks to La Ventana and Back
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2017 at 10:58 PM

After several nights at El Capitan, taking in the delicious micheladas, mediocre fish tacos (seriously, someone tell me where to get a good fish taco in this town), lovely views, and failing at body work negotiations, we decided it was time to start meandering north.

I've taken to using Laguna Diablo as a crossing point between highway 3 and highway 5. I've never stopped at Jose's, but I've been meaning to for a while now.

Here's Laguna Diablo in black & white infrared film, shot using my dad's old Canon F1 from the 70s:

Road to Laguna Diablo by Wide-Angle Wandering, on Flickr

Ocotillo Cactus near Laguna Diablo by Wide-Angle Wandering, on Flickr

Traveling the Americas via my old land cruiser
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2017 at 11:27 PM

We headed up north/west on Highway 3 until we got to the turnoff at Heroes de la Independencia. The dirt road took us up north, over the mountains, and down into the pine forests leading up to the national park.

We stopped to buy supplies just outside the park. Our first stop, to pick up some fresh cheese, was foiled because the owner wouldn't let them sell less than 1kg of cheese at a go. Being more cheese than we could wrangle, we tried to negotiate for a smaller wedge, but with no success.

We continued up the road and stopped again to buy beer. This time, sold by the can. The nearly deaf and blind old man that sold us the beer was far more flexible.

It didn't really matter though. By the time we set up camp, we were well stocked with all my favorite things.

Favorite Things by Wide-Angle Wandering, on Flickr

WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2017 at 11:19 PM

Since I'm leaving on the Baja 2017 trip in just a few days, I'm going to go ahead and wrap this up.

I love Laguna Hanson / Parque Constitucion Nacional. On this trip, I was thrilled to see water for the first time.

I was shooting a mix of infrared B&W and color slide film.

Tree Among Boulders 3 by Wide-Angle Wandering, on Flickr

Tree Among Boulders by Wide-Angle Wandering, on Flickr

Infrared Tree by Wide-Angle Wandering, on Flickr

Boulders at Laguna Hanson by Wide-Angle Wandering, on Flickr

WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2017 at 11:28 PM

That evening we had a brilliant pastel sky.

Laguna Hanson Infrared Shoot by Wide-Angle Wandering, on Flickr

Birds Over Laguna Hanson by Wide-Angle Wandering, on Flickr

Laguna Hanson at Sunset by Wide-Angle Wandering, on Flickr

WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2017 at 11:36 PM

The next morning I photographed the reflections in the still water over the lake, until I accepted the sad realization that it was time to go home. What lies over that next hill? What will this sky look like tomorrow? When will that cactus bloom? I may never know. 'cuz I gotta go home. It's a tough life I tell ya.

Laguna Hanson Fire Watchtower by Wide-Angle Wandering, on Flickr

Reflections on Laguna Hanson. by Wide-Angle Wandering, on Flickr

WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2017 at 11:43 PM

On the way out of the park, we took the dirt road towards Ojos Negros to pick up some gift cheese from the Cava de Queso.

I saw several signs for the Katap Kuatey. Has anyone been up there? I'm intrigued, but we didn't have time to explore.

Signs for Rancho Casa Verde and Kutap Kuatey by Wide-Angle Wandering, on Flickr

After the cheese resuppy mission was complete, we drove up to the Guadalupe Valley to try and taste some wine and find a place to stay for the night.

That didn't exactly go as expected. But I'll post that tidbit later this weekend.

[Edited on 2017-2-11 by WideAngleWandering]

WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2017 at 06:48 PM

Does anyone know what one finds down the road with the Kutap Kuatey marker?

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-17-2017 at 06:57 PM

Nice photos! And awesome places too.:coolup:

I get a lucky snap shot sometimes... :bounce: but your stuff is very cool.:cool:

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-17-2017 at 07:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by WideAngleWandering  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
I am so disappointed that you didn't say hi.....and share a beverage with us on the porch

This is the downside to group travel. Cat-herding and decision by committee. Next time for sure!

Quote:
David K:
It is a place for people who need NOTHING in the form of amenities other than what Nature provides.

It was perfect! I just wish I could have talked my companions into spending a couple nights there. This is my #1 camping destination near SF from now on. It's delightfully perfectly empty with just enough risk of getting stuck to make it interesting.

Perfection!

The "endless summer of my dreams beach"!

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2017 at 09:05 PM

We stopped off @ Marcelo's Cava de Queso to pick up some souvenir cheese (Including one that was 3 years old when I bought it. I still have it. It's still amazing.), and then continued on to the Guadalupe Valley.

We were hunting for a good bottle of wine to bring back north, and a place to stay the night.

Sadly, we were sorta foiled on both fronts, but still had a good time.

We didn't really make a plan. I posted a few times on Talk Baja and had a small list of places to check out. Unfortunately, we pulled into the heart of wine country at 4 o'clock, and most places had already shut down for the evening. We ended up at some winery near La Cetto's. I don't remember the name. I do remember that the wine was pretty awful. There were lots of weird adjuncts and sweetened wines. Pizza was good.

While we were there, however, we met a couple traveling in an old VW bus (http://www.myvantastic.com). They'd run into the same situation we had. They were looking for a place to camp, so I suggested we go down the road further and try to find Don Federico's place with the hot springs.

We arrived just after dark. A middle-aged guy came out and told us the camping fees. I don't remember exactly, but I want to say it was 120 pesos a day, or 240 pesos to stay overnight (2 days). I don't quite understand why this is a thing in baja. Especially in the north. It's confusing. But anyhow, my new friends were talking with the guy in Spanish. I heard them say they only had 200 pesos left as they were crossing the border the next morning. I was about to reach into my wallet to spot them the 40 pesos, when the guy suddenly got very rude, and told them that if they didn't want to pay the price, we could all just leave.

I was really surprised. But rather than pay the fee when we were just going to leave in the morning, we headed back out and boondocked in an arroyo just outside the ranch.

I don't know what that guy's problem was. I'm not opposed to going back, but with enough time to use the hot springs and the foreknowledge that the people living in that house are a little touchy.

The next morning, I found myself incredibly jealous of the van dwellers. They were able to get up, go about their morning, and make coffee all while I was taking down my tent. That jealousy quickly faded though, as they started picking their way along the dirt road at 15mph, while I was resisting the urge to haul some ass.

WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2017 at 09:19 PM
The Last Stretch

Sadly, the time came to cross back. I prefer to do this at Tecate. It's mostly inertia.

In Tecate, I had two goals. First, to employ a little T&T to delay the border crossing as long as possible. There's a little spot along the road north of the plaza, about a block east, with great Tacos and a 7-11 nearby that sells Tecate.

Second, to get a car wash. I find that this simple step eases my border crossings considerably. It seems that CBP really doesn't like a muddy truck.

Tecate Car Wash by Wide-Angle Wandering, on Flickr

Thanks for following along. If you want to see the full photo set, head on over to Flickr:

Baja 2016

Baja 2015

Baja 2014

Baja 2013

Baja 2012

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2017 at 11:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by WideAngleWandering  

But anyhow, my new friends were talking with the guy in Spanish. I heard them say they only had 200 pesos left as they were crossing the border the next morning. I was about to reach into my wallet to spot them the 40 pesos, when the guy suddenly got very rude, and told them that if they didn't want to pay the price, we could all just leave.

I don't know what that guy's problem was. I'm not opposed to going back, but with enough time to use the hot springs and the foreknowledge that the people living in that house are a little touchy.

My take on this without being there. Your new friends might have come across as negotiating the price and the old guy felt insulted. Maybe that didn't happen but whatever the dialogue that took place pi$$ed the guy off.

You're taking this way to personally. You don't know what was said if you don't know Spanish. The guy gets the benefit of the doubt. All this over $20 for the night with hot springs?

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
mickeykreg
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2017 at 04:09 PM

Where in Tecate is that carwash? That one looks like my style without the machine and fancy stuff. Like you I figure it's a good idea before crossing.

WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2017 at 09:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

You're taking this way to personally. You don't know what was said if you don't know Spanish.

I understood the whole thing, hablo the español and all. I dunno what the guy's problem was, but he seriously wigged out over nothing. But like I said, wouldn't stop me from trying again sometime.

Quote:
mickeykreg:
Where in Tecate is that carwash? That one looks like my style without the machine and fancy stuff. Like you I figure it's a good idea before crossing.

It's on the main road as you come in from Ensenada and head towards the plaza. It's maybe 1/2-1 mile before the plaza, on the right. When I get back to my truck in a couple weeks, I can grab the GPS coordinates for you.

ElCap
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2017 at 10:05 PM

Great report and photos, as always. And awesome Baja Landcruiser rig - is that a turbo diesel? I used to have an '86 FJ60 that saw lots of Baja time, but sold it a few years back. Now I'm in a 4wd Tacoma, guess I'm getting old . . .
Meany
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2017 at 07:32 AM

What a Great trip. Love your B&W shots. Thanks
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2017 at 02:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ElCap  
Great report and photos, as always. And awesome Baja Landcruiser rig - is that a turbo diesel? I used to have an '86 FJ60 that saw lots of Baja time, but sold it a few years back. Now I'm in a 4wd Tacoma, guess I'm getting old . . .

It is indeed. A high-roof 60 turbo diesel. It doesn't win any races, but it loves a good baja road.

Once I get the film processed, I'll start the report for our 2017 trip. Just got back. It was the best yet. Lots of trail time on dirt roads and climbing arroyos.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.