Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Returning an FMM Tourist Card
mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2016 at 08:09 AM

It sounds like you don't have to return the FMM (7 or 180 day) but there is an official at the Mexicali border telling/hassling people that they do need to turn it in and is using computer records to track you.

What do we tell or show that guy to prove that we dont really have to turn them in?

The main reason I ask is that last thanksgiving we went down to Gonzaga. For the first time in my life I stopped and got tyres free 7 FMM. The official told us that we had to turn them in. I ignored him and figured he just was not up to date on his own Mexican law. I never turned it in.

When I go down again this year I don't want to get hassled if somebody actually checks the computer records.

On a side note, I bought a 180 FMM a couple of months ago at the TIJ airport. No mention of me not turning the previous 7 day FMM.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-7-2016 at 08:25 AM

you've answered your own question. round file them.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2016 at 08:52 AM

I don't know if this has been mentioned already but you can get your FMM online:

https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html

If somebody has already done this or tries it, let us know how it works.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-7-2016 at 08:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
you've answered your own question. round file them.

THIS.

How does the Mexicali guy know if you MAILED it in or even turned it in on your way out on the last trip? If they "lost" it, it isn't your fault. Always say you DID turn it in. Now, are they going to turn away tourists wanting to spend money in Mexico over this paper chase argument?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-7-2016 at 09:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
I don't know if this has been mentioned already but you can get your FMM online:

https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html

If somebody has already done this or tries it, let us know how it works.

A thought...
Just as in the case of buying a prepaid FMM before your trip at the Travel Club, you still must stop at the border INM office to activate the card... so since you are stopping there anyway, what advantage is there to getting the paper before your trip? Maybe a few minutes at best, yes?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

23S52N
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2016 at 09:21 AM

This is my last entry into this thread with the thought that it contains three pages of pure conjecture and opinion by those posting. I have seen no one refer to an official INM document or page to back up what they say. I have searched the VISA sections in the INM website and see nothing more than a simple and straightforward approach to who needs what for how long and in what circumstances. No property ownership is mentioned other than referring to those who require a VISA to enter mexico, and those countries are clearly listed, Canada and the USA don't require one.

Regardless of property ownership: Visitors from Canada and USA staying less than 180 days get an FMM
Those wishing to stay longer than 180 days and less than 4 years get Temporary resident Visa.

I stated that Mexican Immigration law prevented me from getting a Temp Resident visa solely because i stay less than 180 days.

I posted a link earlier on this thread so that you can download a copy of a letter from the cross border law firm that dealt with Rodulfo Figueroa, Head of INM for Baja Norte, who not only states returning the FMM when leaving from Baja Norte is unnecessary, but also gives a phone number for any questioning border agent to contact if they think to the contrary. I have a copy of the letter in my glovebox.

In the end, everyone will do what they want, or have been doing......saludos
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2016 at 07:27 PM

How does the Mexicali guy know if you MAILED it in or even turned it in on your way out on the last trip? [/rquote]

As I posted, I was in and out of Mexicali West 3 weeks ago, Imm guy INSISTED I return the 7 day fmm. Did not ask him how to return it is I'm going out of say TJ. I returned it, he stamped the
back of the fmm, and stamped my passport. A couple weeks back on fb, a
guy going in Mexicali West was DENIED a 7 day fmm, had to
get the 180 day fmm, because the Imm Computer showed he had not returned a previous 7 day issued at the same crossing.
Seems very unusual. I had a 7 day fmm from TJ not returned,
they made no mention of it. NO one on this board, Gringo or
otherwise can state with certainty, what an individual Mex Imm
officer will say at a given crossing, except perhaps at TJ. I
don't believe they have to be returned, but the Mexicali
West office has other ideas. Since that is one of the crossings
I use, I will comply, with what appears to be misinformation
on their part, but who is to argue with them?

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2016 at 07:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 23S52N  
This is my last entry into this thread with the thought that it contains three pages of pure conjecture and opinion by those posting. I have seen no one refer to an official INM document or page to back up what they say. I have searched the VISA sections in the INM website and see nothing more than a simple and straightforward approach to who needs what for how long and in what circumstances. No property ownership is mentioned other than referring to those who require a VISA to enter mexico, and those countries are clearly listed, Canada and the USA don't require one.

Regardless of property ownership: Visitors from Canada and USA staying less than 180 days get an FMM
Those wishing to stay longer than 180 days and less than 4 years get Temporary resident Visa.

I stated that Mexican Immigration law prevented me from getting a Temp Resident visa solely because i stay less than 180 days.

I posted a link earlier on this thread so that you can download a copy of a letter from the cross border law firm that dealt with Rodulfo Figueroa, Head of INM for Baja Norte, who not only states returning the FMM when leaving from Baja Norte is unnecessary, but also gives a phone number for any questioning border agent to contact if they think to the contrary. I have a copy of the letter in my glovebox.

well i'll certainly miss your input on this hot button topic! :yes:

[Edited on 5-8-2016 by willardguy]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-7-2016 at 08:46 PM

My last couple expired fmms I have handed over to immigration when getting new Fmm. They accepted them without comment. I suspect they filed them in file 13, but perhaps they put them in file 11, eh?
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2016 at 06:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 23S52N  

There is nothing in Mexican Immigration law which states you are not allowed to hold temporary residency (or permanent) if you stay for less than 180 days at a time.

What they ARE cracking down on at some borders are those who come in on a tourist visa, cross back over the border before their 180 days expires, then do an immediate turn-around for another 180 day tourist visa. These folks are actually living in Mexico, but either don't want the hassle of applying for a temporary or permanent visa, or they can't meet the financial requirements. Some of these people have in fact been refused re-entry on an immediate turn-around.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2016 at 06:23 PM

Canadians and Americans coming to Mexico as a tourist get an FMM marked TOURIST, good for 180 days or less.
As someone who held temporary residency for 9 years and now permanent residency for 3, I can assure you that when flying in, EVERYONE must fill out an FMM, unless they are a Mexican citizen.
Again, an FMM is NOT synonymous with tourist visa. It is a migratory document.
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2016 at 09:46 PM

Here's my personal experience from this weekend taking a group of MC riders through Tecate. On getting the 7-day FMM the official stated they needed to be returned. Upon returning to Tecate today, we decided to stop at the immigration office and return the FMM. The official scanned and stamped each passport and FMM with an exit stamp. Passport was returned and FMM collected.

So my opinion is that they are trying to keep track of any 7-day FMMs issued since they are free. Fail to return the FMM and you run the risk of being charged for a 180 day FMM on your next visit. Like governments everywhere, they want their money. YMMV
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2016 at 12:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

What they ARE cracking down on at some borders are those who come in on a tourist visa, cross back over the border before their 180 days expires, then do an immediate turn-around for another 180 day tourist visa. These folks are actually living in Mexico

Doesn't seem to be their priority.

What I observe is that they are cracking on returns of 7-day FMM, because it is free.

They now issue FMM to everybody (to all pedestrians, anyway), but people could say "7 days" and stay few months for free if INM didn't insist on returning this free FMM.

About 180 day FMM they don't care much because they've got your money already.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2016 at 01:33 PM

FWIW:

Here's an April 23rd TJ newspaper article saying the 180 day FMM can be used for multiple entries, which, of course, means it does not need to be turned in when you leave Mexico. Also, it only mentions San Ysidro. The information results from a meeting of the San Ysidro Chamber of Commerce president with immigration officials in Mexico City.

http://www.oem.com.mx/elsoldetijuana/notas/n4143185.htm

Backs up info from other sources previously posted here.

Good development for Americans who cross on a daily/regular basis.

[Edited on 5-10-2016 by SFandH]
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 5-11-2016 at 12:08 PM

Time to chip in. I entered through Algodones in March, three of us on motos. As we crossed, the border guard took us to the side to question us on our trip. He then showed us into the office to purchase an FMM with pesos since the exchange rate was so good. We had our 11 day trip and exited through Mexicali. We asked about returning the FMM's and were asked why we would want to bother with that so they have not been returned. Mine is in the file. This has been standard operating procedure for me and the FMM for the past 8 years. I have flown through Mexico City en route to/from Peru and had to fill out forms that were simply collected by the stewardess. Hot button issue, really?

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2016 at 05:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sweetwater  

Hot button issue, really?

I think the issue is the rules are changing, especially at San Ysidro since the building of the new border crossing facilities.

There certainly is a difference between land crossings and airports. Airplane passengers all get FMMs and turn them in.

Right now the rules, or at least the enforcement of the rules, are different at the San Ysidro land crossing, the busiest, for drivers and pedestrians.

The old practice that there is a border zone where FMMs are not required appears to have ended.

It's in a state of flux.

[Edited on 5-12-2016 by SFandH]
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.