Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Wild Baja -- Part Five Las Animas Bay
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 03:45 PM
Wild Baja -- Part Five Las Animas Bay

When I awoke this morning I checked out the sand that I had flattened out to see if I had any visitors in the night. Sure enough there appear to be mouse and rabbit tracks and along one side 2 sets of coyote tracks less than two feet from the jeep. Will they ever leave me alone?

Today's plan was to walk up the west side of the bay until I had enough which turned out to be a 7 mile hike for the day.

Only thing noteworthy, besides the 2 houses being built and the abandoned panga about 2 miles up, was at my turn around point.

I scrambled up a bluff to catch a breeze and admire the view before I headed back. While I sat and snacked I watched a small pod of dolphins chase some fish into the shallows.

It was interesting being able to see what was going on under the water as I looked down on them. Another cool wildlife scene being played out before me.

I then watched some large fish do the same thing, amazing!

When I made it back to camp I kicked back for the rest of the day thinking about what I was going to do tomorrow.

I have in my copy of The Baja Almanac some GPS coordinates of places I wanted to see back on a trip in 2002 but only made it to a few of them so here was my chance to check them out.

It was getting late so I made some dinner and called it a night. One thing great about camping like this is one has a tendency to go to sleep soon after dark and awaken around sunrise.

Up before the sun, making breakfast, coffee and my bed for an early start. My plan was to go to The El Toro copper mine north of La Gringa.

With the Jeep packed I was off.

Out to the main road with a couple of stops for photos and I am soon on the main dirt road to BOLA. A few miles from the Las Animas turnoff I see an interesting looking dirt road heading south.

Backing up to it, I am off on a tangent. What a cool tangent it turned out to be. Soon I come to a 'grave' right on the road. I hope it was just a shrine but either way the road actually grazed it.

Then it was back to an interesting wash where I parked and walked up a little ways. Turned out to be a good choice, there are four rock dams here, some old rock wall corrals and what appears to be the homesite.

After exploring it for an hour or so it was back to the main dirt road and on to BOLA.

I passed Las Flores without stopping and rolled into BOLA low on FWF (Fuel, Water, and Food). After filling up all three it was out to La Gringa and on to El Toro.

Las Animas to Dams to El Toro to Mine to Yubay.jpg - 149kBAnimas cactus BW.JPG - 245kBDam Dam.JPG - 217kBDam Desert BW.JPG - 211kBDam Melons.JPG - 236kBDam Rockwall.JPG - 215kBAnimas Bottle.JPG - 216kB
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 04:27 PM

Once past La Gringa the fun would begin, I only had coordinates, no directions on how to get to the mine.

This might take some time. Turns out I only made 1 wrong turn along the way.

Bad part was the road kept getting worse and worse. I was by myself, in a 15 year old Jeep with 270,200 miles on it, on a road that was rarely traveled and no one had any idea where I was except 'in Baja'.

Now I needed four wheel drive, then I needed four low, then I needed to do a little road building, WHOA!!!

I need to look this over. I was at the base of a loose, narrow, rocky, rutted hill and I decided to get out and walk up it.

On the way up I tossed some boulders in some of the bigger holes and reached the top where to my amazement there where two ATV's heading my way.

Of course I was parked right in the middle of the road further down the hill with no way around.

With a quick wave to my fellow adventures I turned around and trotted down to the Jeep and backed it up and off the road so they would be able to pass.

I wonder what they thought when they looked up saw me wave and then suddenly disappear down the hill?

It wasn't long before they where close to where I was pulled off the road and the person on the 3-wheeler got caught in a rut and it rolled over on to its side as he stepped off. I ran up to help get it back down and hold it down while he powered out of the ditch.

Turns out it was Larry (I think) and Lisa out returning from a trip to the same mine I was trying to get to. About the first thing I said was I do not know who is crazier for being out here. Me, under my circumstances, or them riding ATV with sandals and flip flops.

I asked about the road up ahead, Larry said it gets worse and they did not make it to the mine. Guess it was out for me then.

Larry lives in BOLA and Lisa was down visiting from Santa Barbara. Neat folks out exploring like that! They head back to BOLA and I toy with the idea of going for it but eventually chicken out and I too head back.

It is only 3pm, to early to camp, so now what? I know, lets go look at some other little seen wildlife out in the desert!

Off to El Desengano, another place I always wanted to check out.

Turns out my first choice of roads to El Desengano is fenced and bulldozed closed so on up the road to the next turnoff.

I turn off the paved road and head north. There is a cool pile of giant boulders there making a small hill and off I go to climb it.

Checking out all the patterns sculpted into the rocks I make my way to the top when what do I see!

Not a deer.

Not a Badger.

Most certainly not a dolphin slapping his tail!

But a fox, a foxy fox just staring at me!

I am able to snapped a blurry, distant picture before she whirls and disappears from sight.

Wow, wow, triple wow!

What a trip so far!

Las Animas to Dams to El Toro to Mine to Yubay.jpg - 149kB Fox Cactus BW.JPG - 159kB Fox hill BW.JPG - 216kB Fox.JPG - 79kB

Do you see the fox in this last picture? Just her head above the rock.

PART ONE
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=83137

PART TWO
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=83138

PART THREE
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=83141

PART FOUR
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=83142

[Edited on 5-21-2016 by Fatboy]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 05:32 PM

Very cool! Sorry you didn't make it to the first copper mine... I just wrote about it in last month's Baja Bound newsletter, here's the Nomad post with the link:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=82927

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 06:52 PM

cool foxy fox!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 07:42 PM

GREAT FOTOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

those gourds are a trip.... they grow on the west coast as well. i wonder if they're edible?

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 07:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  

those gourds are a trip.... they grow on the west coast as well. i wonder if they're edible?

I was told no by a few locals.

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 08:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

I was told no by a few locals.

I heard that coyotes eat them for moisture?

BAJABLANCA --- I wish she would have posed longer so I could have gotten a better picture.

DavidK --- When did you go to El Toro? Larry said the road washed out the last or or so.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 08:13 PM

I would think that any recipe that works well with birch bark, or pinecones or such would be ok. Those things look like a round cucumber, but are rock hard!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2016 at 07:14 AM

Thanks for the trip report. After studying your fox photo, do you think it could be a Mexican gray wolf? Ears look more like it than a fox.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2016 at 07:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Thanks for the trip report. After studying your fox photo, do you think it could be a Mexican gray wolf? Ears look more like it than a fox.

Do not believe so, the size and the tail when she turned and trotted a way looked like a fox to me.

Nice bushy tail on her.

Never can tell for sure sometimes....

honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2016 at 12:22 PM

the road you headed south on after leaving Las Animas is the beginning of What is called the "green door trail" . It continues south then east and meets the graded road again between San Rafael and San Francisquito turn off.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.