Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Vaquita report on 60 Minutes
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-25-2016 at 08:00 PM

We saw a Vaquita today while out fishing in BCS, not the first one we have seen.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2016 at 08:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
We saw a Vaquita today while out fishing in BCS, not the first one we have seen.

maybe these lipsticked little rascals have seen the writing on the wall and are pulling up stakes and heading south?
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2016 at 08:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

maybe these lipsticked little rascals have seen the writing on the wall and are pulling up stakes and heading south?

May be, wouldn't be the first time a specie moved to a better environment to avoid extinction...

bezzell
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2016 at 08:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by seasider  
Hopefully in future, both will take the time to back up statements,thoughts and philosophy with links and provide links when asked which at this time, neither one thinks is important in order to get the point across.

While I understand 100% what you're saying, this has gotta be a joke!?
Baja Nomad history has proven time and again what a colossal waste of time that is. Even peer-reviewed science !!

If you're interested ... it's all there at your fingertips.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2016 at 09:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
I understand that it's a "feel good" thing to many people to "save" cute animals, but it's also a part of the natural world and Darwinian evolution.

I'm not sure Chuck would approve of your reference to him,
with your logic, Scammon and the rest of the whalers
were just folllowing NATURAL
selection, natural being the key word. your use of that phrase
is incorrect. Seems a contradiction
for folks to appreciate Baja, and not be on board with
any and all conservation efforts, shameful in my opinion
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2016 at 11:18 AM

no :(
Frigatebird
Nomad

Mood: Soaring

[*] posted on 5-26-2016 at 12:27 PM

Quote:

...I doubt he would approve of us humans trying to save the vaquita, or any other species...

Even trying to save the ones who should know they may eventually be next in line?

Avatar courtesy of Herb :tumble:
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 5-26-2016 at 02:56 PM

Pics?

I've never seen one.

How do you know it was a Vaquita? In the water, I'd think they'd be difficult to distinguish from other porpoises unless you are close? Did you see the eye patch?

Are you saying you've seen them in BCS before, or just seen them before?

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2016 at 02:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

May be, wouldn't be the first time a specie moved to a better environment to avoid extinction...

I wonder if BCS really is a better environment. There is no ban on net fishing, and the Navy and Sea Shepherd guys are up north.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2016 at 03:00 PM

I was out on a tour boat last year when all of a sudden we were in a big school of porpoises or something like that. I asked the skipper and I'm sure he said "vaquita,lots here". While he was talking there was a bump and we all looked around and could see he had just hit a vaquita and it was laying dead at the surface. I told skip to head back but he didn't want to.
Finally I told him to get the boat back cause I was paying by the hour. We searched for awhile but the vaquita must have sunk. A shame really, cause I wanted to get it stuffed and put it up on the wall. Anyway, I don't know why those scientists figure there is less than one hundred and only around San Felipe. There probly thousands of em out there. You just got to know where to look.;)

Where was your boat tour?

I really hope the guy didn't kill a Vaquita.

I would like to think there are thousands, but suspect that is not the case.
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2016 at 03:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
I doubt he would approve of us humans trying to save the vaquita, or any other species. It would undermine the basic principle of his theory:survival of the fittest.

Ugh. Kill everything man! :mad:
Darwin was observation.. not activism.
Science
Your comment was offensive if not sarcastic
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2016 at 04:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  

Pics?

I've never seen one.

How do you know it was a Vaquita? In the water, I'd think they'd be difficult to distinguish from other porpoises unless you are close? Did you see the eye patch?

Are you saying you've seen them in BCS before, or just seen them before?

I've seen 3 in the last 5 years, all in BCS. They aren't difficult to distinguish if you know what they look like, my Mexican captain and I both know what they look like and how they act in the water. They are more boat shy than other porpoise species so getting close for a picture isn't easy or necessary for me. The one I saw yesterday was near the northern border of Cabo Pulmo Marine Park.

[Edited on 5-26-2016 by dtbushpilot]

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2016 at 06:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  

I was out on a tour boat last year when all of a sudden we were in a big school of porpoises or something like that. I asked the skipper and I'm sure he said "vaquita,lots here". While he was talking there was a bump and we all looked around and could see he had just hit a vaquita and it was laying dead at the surface. I told skip to head back but he didn't want to.
Finally I told him to get the boat back cause I was paying by the hour. We searched for awhile but the vaquita must have sunk. A shame really, cause I wanted to get it stuffed and put it up on the wall. Anyway, I don't know why those scientists figure there is less than one hundred and only around San Felipe. There probly thousands of em out there. You just got to know where to look.;)

Where was your boat tour?

I really hope the guy didn't kill a Vaquita.

I would like to think there are thousands, but suspect that is not the case.

Sorry guys. I thought Dt was joking so that is why I posted what I did. There is nothing I can find that there has ever been a confirmed sighting of a vaquita in BCS or even as far south as LA Bay.

What proof would you require for "confirmation"? If I were to get a quick out of focus pix with my cell phone would it really matter? I'm probably mistaken, not the first time...

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.