Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Punta Cabras
LaPlayaENC

[*] posted on 5-23-2016 at 03:32 PM
Punta Cabras

Hi all

New member here. Looking for info on Punta Cabras. Will it be crowded for Memorial Day weekend and is it pretty chill there? I haven't been down in 20 yrs.

Thx
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2016 at 04:05 PM

It's a pretty chill spot and spread out so you can find your own nook. But it does get crowded on weekends and holidays. I will be driving by there in 7 days.

BajaNaranja
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2016 at 04:38 PM

I have seen it incredibly filled in on a summer weekend, with locals and gringos both, to the point that finding a spot was tricky in that easy-to-access northern beach stretch. Memorial will be busy there, for sure, and the Baja 500 is the following weekend, so... gird thy loins and be prepared to meet some new friends!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-23-2016 at 04:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNaranja  
I have seen it incredibly filled in on a summer weekend, with locals and gringos both, to the point that finding a spot was tricky in that easy-to-access northern beach stretch. Memorial will be busy there, for sure, and the Baja 500 is the following weekend, so... gird thy loins and be prepared to meet some new friends!

The Baja 500 is not running anywhere near the Pacific Coast, south of Ensenada this year.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2016 at 06:07 PM

Swim/surf/dive ?? Water is cold here in the spring. 3/2 wetsuit minimum thickness. Lots of fog as well. marine upwelling effect
soylent_green
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2016 at 08:19 AM

rustic camping at "Long Beach"
probably won't be too crowded- the most crowded I've ever seen it is maybe a half a dozen small groups. Most local crowds usually just stick to the ocean just north of Erendira.

Bring in your supplies - erendira markets are about 7 miles south from "Long Beach".

Another option too is to stay at coyote cals hostel 5 miles south of the beach. call ahead to confirm space - you usually would be fine unless a big group of offroaders booked it out. At least stop for a beer.
http://www.coyotecals.com

[Edited on 5-24-2016 by soylent_green]
BajaNaranja
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2016 at 09:17 AM

LaPlayaENC, do report back and let us know how your trip was. Buena suerte!
Mateo-Feo
Nomad

Mood: MuchoTakeitEasy

[*] posted on 5-25-2016 at 02:32 PM

We camp there quite a bit and everything said above is true. The only thing to watch out for is leaving your belongings out at night. Especially wetsuits. We have had things walk away at night there on multiple occasions(only once for me but had a few friends say the same thing). Best guess is it's the guys who show up trying to sell you firewood when you first get there. Kinda seems like they are checking out your gear. No big deal, just a reminder. We should have packed up anyway but our suits were wet. Fishing for us there on Yaks has been outstanding. Surf... eh
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2016 at 02:51 PM

Used to go there a lot as a kid and it always seemed like there was a good 10+ groups of campers. I have gone back about 1-2x a year over the past 15 years and have yet to camp with another person within a half mile from me. Usually it is just me, maybe 1 guy down at the north end. Surf has not been good there in a really long time in my opinion, but fairly fun for camping.

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2016 at 02:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LaPlayaENC  
Hi all

New member here. Looking for info on Punta Cabras. Will it be crowded for Memorial Day weekend and is it pretty chill there? I haven't been down in 20 yrs.

Thx

I'll probably be camping here if you're down for the weekend. I'm in a gray Tundra. If you're around stop by and say "hi".

LaPlayaENC

[*] posted on 5-31-2016 at 11:21 AM
Punta Cabras

Thanks for all the info everyone. We had a great time and will definitely be back. We met some great people; especially Tony Figaroa who gave us some great info and invited us to stop by his place the next time we're down.

The only hiccup of the weekend was that I left our propane tank under our van instead of putting it back up on the roof rack. It got P-nched overnight. Gentle reminder....:rolleyes:
BajaNaranja
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2016 at 03:57 PM

Bummer about the propane tank... glad you had a great trip. Love the big sandy beach there, and the cove on the south end.

Did you come back to the US via San Ysidro yesterday? Man, I haven't seen traffic like that (all over TJ) in ages... Took 40 min to get into SENTRI, but only about 25 min from there. Regular lanes must have been several hours...!
Bajavanadu
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2016 at 08:06 AM

Wow, I've never had anything get stolen at cabras? Were you camped above long beach on the cliffs or at punta cabras proper?

[Edited on 6-1-2016 by Bajavanadu]
LaPlayaENC

[*] posted on 6-1-2016 at 07:13 PM

We were parked on one of the bluffs between Ejido Endiria and Cabras. My fiance thought she saw lights and when I went out to check, I saw vehicle driving down the road towards EE. It was 0330 and didn't give it too much thought until I went to fire up the stove for coffee
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
6-5-2016 at 10:02 AM

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.