Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Brexit causes Peso drop to 19.5187 to the dollar
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-25-2016 at 07:34 AM

Dennis, put into that perspective, makes one think a bit differently...I worked many jobs for a dollar an hour when I was growing up, and 150 pesos/hour is about or above what the US min wage is/was...Very good point!

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2016 at 07:47 AM

Yeah....it was a different time, Chuckie, but the point is still there. You start climbing a ladder from the bottom. I had my dollar an hour jobs too. [ I sure hope this doesn't morph into a "share the wealth" discussion]

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-25-2016 at 08:46 AM

I worked after school, and on Saturdays for $1.25 per hour, minimum wage. I graduated in 1964, the last year that US coins were made of 90% silver.

At today's spot price for silver, the melt value of a 1964 quarter is $3.21, which bumps my old minimum wage to over $16 per hour!

edit; Just a reminder of what 'real money' is.

[Edited on 6-25-2016 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-25-2016 at 09:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Yeah....it was a different time, Chuckie, but the point is still there. You start climbing a ladder from the bottom. I had my dollar an hour jobs too. [ I sure hope this doesn't morph into a "share the wealth" discussion]

The economy is not big enough for all to climb the ladder. Many people are destined to spend their working life on the bottom rung. If we all climbed to the upper rungs, the ladder would collapse. Your house keeper, for example, may spend her life on lower rung. A liveable minimum wage is the right thing given the reality of inequalities in our society.
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2016 at 09:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

The economy is not big enough for all to climb the ladder. Many people are destined to spend their working life on the bottom rung. If we all climbed to the upper rungs, the ladder would collapse. Your house keeper, for example, may spend her life on lower rung. A liveable minimum wage is the right thing given the reality of inequalities in our society.

So while I don't disagree with this statement, the problem becomes how to define "livable". Is that some basic food on the table and shelter? Or does it include steak dinners? Maybe a new smartphone? 60" flatscreen? Or the ability to buy a car and take a 3 week vacation?

Is a $15/hr wage livable? Or a $5/day wage? In some parts of the world $5/day would be way above livable.

So maybe the term "livable" needs to be taken in the context of the local economy and customs. What's livable in Africa may not be the same as China. Or India. Or Mexico. Or pick your country. Trying to extrapolate a North American sense of value or entitlement on the rest of the world's economies is unrealistic. And not economically sustainable on a global basis. Just some food for thought. YMMV.

As someone who lives in Baja and likes to travel I'll enjoy the strong dollar while I can. As someone invested in the market, I'll keep my market decisions separate from my travel plans even if they may have an effect on one another.

[Edited on 6-25-2016 by mjs]
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 6-25-2016 at 10:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mjs  
the problem becomes how to define "livable". Is that some basic food on the table and shelter? Or does it include steak dinners? Maybe a new smartphone? 60" flatscreen? Or the ability to buy a car and take a 3 week vacation?

Also back then, the basic was all there was. You couldn't buy a smart phone or an iphone or a 60" flat screen or pay for cable or dish or buy a computer or a laptop or a tablet, you couln't even order pizza over the phone and so many other things simply because they didn't exist. So yes, you could afford to buy a car and take a family vacation. Just sayin

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-25-2016 at 11:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I worked after school, and on Saturdays for $1.25 per hour, minimum wage. I graduated in 1964, the last year that US coins were made of 90% silver.

At today's spot price for silver, the melt value of a 1964 quarter is $3.21, which bumps my old minimum wage to over $16 per hour!

edit; Just a reminder of what 'real money' is.

[Edited on 6-25-2016 by AKgringo]

Not much change to 1976 when I earned $1.90 part time student min wage making pizzas at Straw Hat. The big bucks came when I made $5/hr in construction on weekends.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2016 at 11:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Just a reminder of what 'real money' is.

Fantasy wealth.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2016 at 11:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

If all were wealthy, conversely all would be poor.
We have an economic class structure. Venezuela and North Korea don't. Follow your dream....not mine.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-25-2016 at 01:09 PM

Right on Dennis...AND I maybe didn't lust after an IPAD or such..It was a Leather Jacket like the Fonz, and a Pump shotgun...People have always had wants and aspirations...AND I went out and got more work...GIT ER DUN....

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-25-2016 at 01:40 PM

I like the ladder analogy! I did not climb as high as I could have, or should have, but I am pretty solid where I am and can help steady it for others. I am pretty much done climbing, but I will be OK, as long as there is still a ladder!

I have members of my close, and extended family that are doing alright on their way up the ladder. A few others need to turn around and get back on it, and a couple that might as well just get out of the way because the choices they have made entitles them to just the scraps tossed down from those who have made the climb.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 6-25-2016 at 01:48 PM

Spot on AKgringo
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2016 at 01:53 PM

Ditto!

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-25-2016 at 02:04 PM

Be careful who you step on when climbing up the ladder of success... you may need their help on the way back down..

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

wiltonh
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2016 at 02:11 PM

My first job away from home was mowing lawns at one dollar per hour. I wanted a car so when I was 14, I saved up $300 and purchased a 1928 Model A Ford. In Washington you had to be 16 to have your name on the title so my mother put her name on it. We purchased the car from the original owner.

I have now owned that car longer than the original owner. It is still sitting in my garage and over the last few months, I have purchased a new battery and will have it back on the road shortly.

It is an experience that I wish, I could give to my grandson.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.