BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: The United States Occupation of Baja California 1846-1848 (July Baja Bound Article)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-22-2016 at 03:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
David,
An interesting historical note....

Seems like the invasion by us nortenos is continuing...:biggrin:

Would that be all those Canadians coming south, eh?

[Edited on 7-23-2016 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 7-22-2016 at 08:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  
This is what I am thinking about this: The United States not only were taking away much land from Mexico by war and force. Like California, Nevada, New Mexico and Texas. They also occupied illegally Hawaii. And others parts of the world.
This is how the world sees the past talking about the United States of America: First there came those bad boys from Europe. Gangsters. Criminals and such. No matter if from England, Germany Ireland etc.(No one who had a good job or a good business in Europe, left) Then those bad boys killed the Indians to get more land. When most of the Indians were dead, there was nothing to kill anymore. So the bad boys killed the buffalos close to distinction. Millions of buffalos just for the fun of killing! As that was done and nothing to kill anymore, they killed each other. North against South.
Today there is nothing to kill inside the US territory, the US (Politicians) are looking at other states where they can kill somebody. For sure Saddam Hussein was not an Angel. But he had his country under control. With the Iraq war and killing tens of thousands civilians, they created ISIS. Now they are pretending to fight ISIS, killing them, the terrorist are fighting back. 9/11 and Paris and Nice and London and others like Belgium are evidence to what I am saying.
Who can be proud of that?
And name me one Mexican who is honestly saying: I love the United States People. (other than he is making business and looking after $$$)

O.K., I am awaiting a chitstorm now for posting the truth.

Back to the topic. We should be happy that Baja is Mexican territory. With the US owning this land it would be not as interesting, lovable and eager to explore - for all of us.

I like your view!

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2016 at 09:02 PM

So, David, you write: "Tensions between the United States and Mexico grew when the U.S. annexed the Republic of Texas on March 1, 1845, a territory Mexico still considered its own."

Why would those testy Mexicans consider their territory, their territory? Why wouldn't they just allow it to be taken away by illegal settlers on their land? How dare they insist it was their land. Similarities to current events between 2 other countries are purely coincidental.

That is not kind towards a country that has accepted you with open arms for many years.

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2016 at 09:08 PM

This is a history article and not an op-ed piece. I love Mexico.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2016 at 09:11 PM

"...a territory Mexico still considered its own." is opinion

Harald Pietschmann
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-22-2016 at 09:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

The United States Occupation of Baja California 1846-1848 (A Baja Bound Article)

My article in the July edition of Baja Bound

[Edited on 7-17-2016 by David K]

I suppose in 1846 there were maybe 100 people in all of Baja. Probably 99 of them were unaware of the USA occupation force arriving and then leaving, eh?

Contrast this to 2016 and there are a bazillion people in baja and all bazillion are aware that the Donald plans to invade the TJ to take money from orphans and widows so he can build a wall.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-22-2016 at 09:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
David,
An interesting historical note....
Seems like the invasion by us nortenos is continuing...:biggrin:

Would that be all those Canadians coming south, eh?

[Edited on 7-23-2016 by David K]

David,
Well.....lots of Canadians enjoy Baja ... but I was also including US citizens in my comment about people from north of Mexico coming and , in some ways, "taking over" with their cultural norms/preferences.

A previous poster mentioned that it would be nice if Cabo could be more like Waikiki....I wonder if that poster has seen the masses of homeless living on Oahu's west coast....scary scene of cultural decay...Cabo is better in my opinion (and I avoid it).

Don't believe everything you think....
daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 7-22-2016 at 11:17 PM

Interesting article DK. The Mexican-American war had many facets that played out over those years. Leading up to it, the Texas Mexican territory was allowing new settlement and most of these were from the east, whereas farther west in the region of New Mexico, eastern settlers were not permitted to stay. Those Mexican folks paid a heavy price for those rules, once the US Army arrived.

My Great Grandfather had two older brothers who volunteered to join the war effort, sailing to Santa Cruz. One died in Mexico City, leaving a wife and three children. There is a large American Cemetary in Mexico City, where many thousands of US soldiers lie, who mostly fell victim of disease.

It was a war that was totally one- sided, that Mexico never had a chance. Many prominent Americans cut their teeth during the war, from Ulysses S Grant to Jefferson Davis. Some believed that it was a springboard to the Civil War. It provided a rapidly growing nation clear sailing to spread across the breadth of North America. You know, from the halls of Montezuma... they squeezed hard enough to take over in the North America where the Spaniards had come first to bring European values.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2016 at 07:38 AM

Thank you daveB for that story!

Goat, you would be really amazed if you got the facts right about things (100 people in Baja California in 1846, seriously?)

Harald, yes Mexico did consider all the vast lands originally claimed by Spain as its own. That was not my opinion, but maybe was Mexico's opinion? Even to recent years, the people of Baja California have felt unrepresented and ignored by politicians in Mexico City. A paved road didn't exist from north to south until 1973! Even today, there is a group called Republica de Baja California seeking independence from Mexico City government!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-23-2016 at 07:54 AM

Goat, you would be really amazed if you got the facts right about things (100 people in Baja California in 1846, seriously?)

Dk,
So tell us what you think the population was in 1846.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2016 at 07:59 AM

Harald, yes Mexico did consider all the vast lands originally claimed by Spain as its own. That was not my opinion, but maybe was Mexico's opinion? Even to recent years, the people of Baja California have felt unrepresented and ignored by politicians in Mexico City. A paved road didn't exist from north to south until 1973! Even today, there is a group called Republica de Baja California seeking independence from Mexico City government!

why would there be a "still" in the sentence?
>a territory Mexico still considered its own<

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2016 at 08:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Dk,
So tell us what you think the population was in 1846.

Dozens and dozens of towns each with hundreds of people, then those not in towns... literally thousands.

Doing a quick check of some of the books...

1850: 7,500 in just the south (Baja Sur) [Sketches of Two Oceans, 1866]
1852: 12,000 [A History of Lower California,1960, p.409]
1867: 26,000 for the entire peninsula [Lower California Frontier, 1870]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2016 at 08:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

why would there be a "still" in the sentence?
>a territory Mexico still considered its own<

"Still" means "has not changed" (since Mexico declared its independence).

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.