Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Road from San Javier to La Purisima via Comondus
ADCELAND
Junior Nomad

Mood: in love with Baja

[*] posted on 7-28-2016 at 11:07 AM
Road from San Javier to La Purisima via Comondus

Next week, we want to take the road from San Javier to the Comondus and then on to La Purisima in one day...we have checked mileage, the Baja atlas, Google Earth, comments on this website, etc., but would like more current info., if anyone has it, especially since Odile. We have 4x4 SUVs and are very experienced off roaders, and with GPS. Easy, hard, or impossible?

"WD-40, vice grips and some duct tape.
Any man who is worth his salt, can do half of the house chores with just those three things"

Walt Kowalski - Gran Torino
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2016 at 12:49 PM

I did a search and only found one post since Odile. The person saying it's passable is reliable.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=83468#pid1040...

I was last on it in April 2014. I would have to believe that since Odile was in the fall of 2014 that the road has been cleared. I found the roughest part was going north from San Javier to Comondu. Mainly because there was a long up hill that was rocky.

In April we did the road from Mulege to San Isidro called the Guejademi Trail and it was in good condition. If you are interested in doing it too after La Purisima I can provide you with the trail notes.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-28-2016 at 01:13 PM

Mission locations pointed out with blue arrows.
The road from Ejido Francisco Villa to Comondú is now paved (concrete) since this map was made.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

CJ
Nomad

Mood: It's cool with me

[*] posted on 7-29-2016 at 07:52 AM

We've done the ride San Javier, Comondo, San Isidro four times in the last year with RZR's. The road is in good shape, you should have an easy drive. There area few spots where you will have to slow down and negotiate a few washed out areas other than that "Buen viaje"
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2016 at 10:03 AM

Great news CJ!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2016 at 07:40 PM

Rode the link from Purisma to Comundu round trip last Spring on a motorcycle. The climb out of Comundu northbound for the first mile is full of whoop de doos.

The cemetery is near the top of the hill and I joked that if the guest of honor was dead when they started up the hill, they would be awake by the time they got to the top.

The rest of the road to La Purisma was fine if seldom travelled. The cow tracks had wiped out any wheel marks. As mentioned, there are a few washouts to creep around.

I was in there North of San Javier two years ago and the northbound climb about ten miles in is a mess but doable. Easier in a 4WD of some sort than with a bike as going really slow is the ticket.
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2017 at 07:27 AM

Just drove from San Javier, Comondu, Purisima and back to Mex 1. I did it in my F350 and truck camper. San Javier to Comondu was good but has a couple of steep climbs that were rocky, Comomdu to La Purisima is a " highway", La Purisima to Mex1 is a slow go in a full size truck camper. Better to go west to San Juanico and do a loop back to San Ignacio, in my opinion.

Recommend camping near the Rio just before San Isidro beside the aquaduct. The cleared trails are great for hiking around town. Talk to Fernando at the restaurant in la Pluisima. He has started a tour guide business. His English is pretty good. Lots of Talapia in the Rio, so bring a fishing rod.
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2017 at 07:51 AM

Thanks. If your huge rig can make it, anything can get thru jaja.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2017 at 09:23 AM

Great report Canuck!

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-29-2017 at 09:24 AM

Over Thanksgiving, Motoged, 03Dave and I did a loop through that area, and Ged posted a report; http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=81192&got...

After that, I did another loop from Loreto toward San Javier but taking the dirt north to the Comondus. I then drove the pavement south and west toward Ciudad Insurgentes, but took the dirt road back east through San Javier again.

I was driving an older model Kia Sportage (not the crossover model) and I am sure I could have done the second loop in two wheel drive, but I use all four on some of the climbs as a courtesy to the ranchers, and road crews in the area.

I agree with Mulege Cannuck that the San Isidro to Mex 1 is the least enjoyable of the routes mentioned. The back door into San Javier was boring in the flats on the west, but turns into great scenery all the way back to Loreto. It's a rugged two wheel drive road, but I wouldn't take a motor home or a trailer over it!

Edit; On the 'back door' to San Javier, there are numerous arroyo crossings. They were not a problem when I drove it, shallow and solid bottoms, but could change quickly with the rains that have been occurring!

[Edited on 1-29-2017 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mcnut
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2017 at 05:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mulege Canuck  
San Javier to Comondu was good but has a couple of steep climbs that were rocky, Comomdu to La Purisima is a " highway", La Purisima to Mex1 is a slow go in a full size truck camper.

Canuck, when you say Commondu to La Purisima is a highway, are you referring to the direct route which is dirt or the indirect pavement route?

Bruce
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2017 at 09:58 AM

Hola mcnut

By "Highway". I mean it was a very good gravel road. It is a great section of road. I have a monster truck and camper and I was driving 30 km / hr most of the way.

If you have good tires and take your time you will enjoy it.
mcnut
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2017 at 11:11 AM

Thanks, that's fantastic.
That stretch has been reported to be impassible (maybe 5, 6 years ago) to OK with 1 or 2 bad spots (the last 1year or 2). Nice to hear there are no issues.

Bruce
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2017 at 09:28 PM

In Baja, things can change as often as they don't! :light:
If it was predictable, would it be as exciting?

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2017 at 08:46 AM

Change - yes
After a hurricane damage back in 2010 we drove from Comondu to San Isidro. It took most of the day. Just north of the summit I had to get out an spot my wife to get off the washed out main track. The washed out holes were very big. Now that the road is repaired I will put it back my to do list.
Back then the road between Comondu and Francisco was newly paved.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.