BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: About those non-existent economic woes
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 2-1-2005 at 08:37 PM
About those non-existent economic woes

I know better than anyone about how I am always refering to how to strech that peso. Which might lead one to presume that I am pretty near broke. Well, certainly beyond doubt, it really and truly is all a matter of perspective. Kind of a case in point of what league one is playing in; compared to my artist friends, I am very well off, and compared to a begger on the street, well I am practially a millionare from where they sit. Than compared to many folks who come here from the North side of the boarder, I am barely scraping by. Really depends on whom I am hanging with as to how I view my economic situation.

The other day I had the opportunity to realized the ridiculosness of my attitude when my Maestro Armando offered me a "beca" in order to take a second class with him. At that ponit in time, I really didn't think I could afford a second class.

Than I realized; Here is a man and his wife who live on app. $40 pesos a day between the two of them offering me a free class because he feels I really need to learn all I can from him as fast as I can, (not geting any younger ya know, la vida no esta comprado). And here I am with this perspective of I am barly scraping by (or at least acting like it), on $200 pesos a day (and this is what I have left over after my rent is paid and one class is also taken care of). There is for sure something wrong with the picture of how I present myself! Of course it is completly out of the question that I would accept his offer, for sure I can simplify. For sure it's o.k. by me to accept paying with a discount for two classes, (ceramics and painting 3 times a week with materials included), ie. $600 pesos a week, instead of $350.00 pesos per a class. But, that he would offer me a free class because of all my whinning, geez louise. and than on top of it, Sally suggest's taking up a collection to help me along, well, makes me realize what I am projecting here, opps, sorry.

Listen Ya'll, really I am economacily fine, I just have to learn to live within a budget that is much more ample than most the folks I know. Might mean no new $800 peso huipals, no steak for dinner, saving up for a painting I have my heart set on. Ah but, I did get that painting of Antonio's street kid eating the watermelon, and I am now trying to figure out a way to obtain his disgruntled Angel, (way cool piece by the way). Expect that we all have our priorities in life, and I expect more of us than not are saving up for a dream here and there, what ever finanacel situation that we might be in.

So, for sure when I go home, I plan to start squrilling away $500 pesos a week toward the airline ticket back to Oaxaca, and as soon as I get back here in Oaxaca, I plan to stash $500 pesos a week to buy my ticket home.

Ah but I am in a position that permits me the luxury of being able to pull this flying back ond forth off. I just need to learn to live within my means a little better.

Today I bought way to much food; my green juice, (wow, what a luxury) $12 pesos, $5 pesos nopal and diced vege salad, $5 for 6 tortillas, $5 p's worth of mashed black beans, $5 p's for a serving of cooked liver, $3 p's for an avacado, $7 p's for a yourgart, $7 p's for a small round of white cheese, and $6 p's for a half of the sweetest dang melon, (down from $7 when the little ol lady looked up at me and reflected, honest I didn't bargin it, wouldn't even consider at that price, not with that little ol sweetie). I quote you a total lay out of what $56 pesos, I give you these breakdowns so you might have an idea of what things cost here, o.k.

I most certainly over ate today on what I just named above and had to hit the street with the leftovers to find some poor begger to help me finish all that I had- And I did, a little indian lady with a new born baby right outside the door of this enter-net. You can bet she was real greatful to receive it, you should have seen her accept it. And that is why I am sitting here writing this to let Y'All know how well I really, really am doing. And, even though I can't change the fate of that lady and her baby, well, I didn't have to throw the food away and go to bed feeling guilty I guess.

So just wanted make sure you all know that in many, many ways I am a very wealthy soul. I certainly have more than I need and want more than I have, I am only human after all. So when I quote prices or say I can't afford a dang dictionary or a hot cup of chocolate in a fancy cafe on the zocolo, please forgive me and pay me no mind, because, really, really, really, I am more than economacily fine, it is just a matter of perspective. (by the way, I did get a dictonary, I just keep forgetting to carry it.)
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 2-1-2005 at 09:13 PM
Ok,now..

Can I commision you for a painting or some art ? I thought the art that Doug(bless his soul!) brought up on the Nomad here was,or looked l ike it was done in a chalk medium? I'd love to see more.Oh Sara, I know you are rich, in your heart and soul and your art and writing exposes it.Very serious about this, maybe the first to start? Have you ever been paid money for your art or your words? U2U me, I have Xmas $ left! And BTW, you are very right about "once an artist", you should see what I have done to our new house! It's a virtual art gallery with peices from all over the globe.I think I know now what my gift is. Bessos, Sally
Eli
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2005 at 09:29 AM

Love Birds in Denial is a oil pencil drawing. Actually I have a lot of sketches accumulated over the years and I am just now considering selling them, yep now that I think of it, certainly I will.

The creative process that dictates my art can only be compared to improvizing jazz. I never know who is coming to dinner until they are at the table so to speak.

So, if One were interested in buying one of my "major pieces", a niche, comal, or painting, these are few and far between, I am just beginning to bring these home. So, I would suggest one take a gander at what is available at Galeria Los Angeles and if the piece speaks and the price is right, well, best jump on it, because the stuff doesn't stay on the shelf all that long. I will be coming home with a handful of completed stuff Mar. 1st.

I have a few T shirt's reproduced from when I was study silkscreen this year. And than there are the tile plac's I had produced last year by Talavera de Cortez out of Delores Hidalgo Gto., these are plentyful and not to expensive and a real nice little souvineer of my expressions, also they are available in Los Barriles at "Galeria Los Angeles". Oh my gosh, I am starting to sound like a comerical, time to stop!

Among my list of dreams to realize the sooner the better is a vitrual gallery where I can show the work of artist that I know and Love and my also my own, for sure!
tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 2-2-2005 at 09:59 AM

Eli, we, Tracey and I, look forward to an opportunity to meet with you AND see some of your art. We too, like many on this board, purchase pieces that move us from wherever we travel.

About financial condition...it is always relative. I recall when wife and I first graduated from nursing school. We moved across country to accept positions in a small rural hospital. Too proud to ask either of our parents for another dime as they had just paid for our move and our marriage prior, we lived for nearly a month on 20.00 dollars AND the food that was left in the house by the renters before us. Around the 3rd week depression was sitting in as we could 'afford nothing'. Then, almost together my wife and I began to laugh, realizing that yep, we have no money in 'relative terms', but we are living in a view home being paid by the hospital over looking Avalon Harbor on Catalina Island...we in fact were pretty rich!

When searching for the end of your rainbow you only have until dusk....
Eli
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2005 at 07:56 PM
Tim, Sally, YaAll,

when ever we do actually meet, it will be such an honor and a joy to share some time sitting in person reflecting on the art. Tim, Ya'All going to be in the neighborhood this Spring?

Besides being an artist, I am so glad I am a collector, "alumento por la alma" I always say. Soul has to eat to you know.

Ah Sally, when are the powers that be finally going to permit us time in the flesh togeather? I love it that your home is full of art, you are very very lucky to be able to have obtained it and even luckier to have the good scence to have done so. I don't think I have ever reflected regret for the effort of obtaing it upon looking at a piece on my wall, it is more of a whew, sure glad I got my hands on that when I had the chance. here, there and every where.

El Maestro Armando's grandmother passed away, so he at Xot. took off to Puebla for a couple of days and left me here in charge of their gallery.

They are going to be so stoked, I just sold 2 of Armando's paintings at full cost. Yep, the rent is paid and food on the table for more than a month. His art is so much fun, so Oaxacan, primative indian flavor, very well executed, very clean and completly his own style. I will be bring home at least one piece, hopefully two to put on consignment in "Los Angeles".

Soon, soon, you shall see what wonders and surprises I am bringing home from Oaxaca.

tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 2-2-2005 at 08:09 PM

Eli, if not sooner we will be in La Paz and about from April 8th through the 17th. We delight in time visiting with you. Can you U2U us on if you will be in the greater area at that time and how best to locate you? Tim

When searching for the end of your rainbow you only have until dusk....
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 2-2-2005 at 08:58 PM

Hi there....

I'm glad to know that you are doing OK but I will confess to a small measure of guilt in thinking of the price of the meal we had in San Diego's Gaslamp the night you & I went to that silly play. A budget-buster for sure!

I, too will squirrel away the funds to join you next year, if the invitation is still open!
Eli
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2005 at 09:54 AM

Jean's,

Don't feel guilty; that was a night , show and dinner well worth remembering.

Yes, yes, Mija, stash those DLLs., hop a plane and come play with me this summer, oh que buen idea!!!

My traval budget when I was working and on vacations was $1,000 pesos a day, different times, different circumstances. I have stayed in one of the finest 5 star Hotels in Oaxaca with a private room in the suite provided by a dear friend and client back when, sure don't regeat that it was great, it is a memory that I will savor for the rest of my life along with the best dam steak I ever ate in my favorite El Che resturant just down the block from where I am sitting now. I am talking fancy the waiter lay's the giant cloth napkin on you lap, drink out of crystal kind of place. I am most fortunate that I am happy either way, a taco stand or the high dollar joint, good food is good food where ever it is served from. I am sure I will again someday eat at Che's. Meanwhile it is about time to go find a torta and some juice I expect. Yep that will be just fine for today.

[Edited on 2-3-2005 by Eli]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.