Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Photos from Mammoth and the Eastern Sierras
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2016 at 04:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Hot Creek, across the bridge at the bottom of the trail from the parking area was the filming location for several cabin scenes in the movie North To Alaska

I recognized the hot springs while watching that movie a year ago - I started screaming at the TV! Fun to see that.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2016 at 06:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  
Last I read, the fire in the Bald Mountain area is pretty well contained as is the one by Lower Rock Creek

I think I saw the Clark Fire is ~85% contained. We were going to ride mountain bikes down the Lower Rock Creek trail, but the CHP kept us out of there (the more technical lower section is one of my favorites!).

We drove up the Silver Canyon dirt road from Bishop to the Whites today and at the beginning, there were several mountain bikers --- I just can't imagine as it is a steep, windy, rocky 6000 foot climb. They were finished with their ride, so we don't know how far they went.

Have you driven up that road? It is quite an amazing road

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2016 at 06:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  
Have you driven up that road? It is quite an amazing road

Yes, I drove up there a year ago.

While in the canyon before it really starts to climb, we met an older couple driving down the road in their Lexus - they had no idea what they were into. We noticed that they had a flat - the man said, "I must have just got that." Uh huh. We were unable to budge the lug nuts and had to get the Auto Club up there.

We drove to the Patriarch Grove of old Bristlecone Pines. Due to nearby wildfires, the sky was orange. This stand is around 11,000'.

We drove to the north end of the White Mountain road - fun to see the world at almost 12k'. The smokey air almost made things took surealistic.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2016 at 07:36 PM

Oh yes, that looks like the flat just happened! ;) Can't imagine a Lexus! The sign at the top end is very clear ---- 4WD only. Today we were just happy that we came across two vehicles coming down at one of the few wide spots.

We love the Whites and go up there often --- the long way from here in Big Pine. :-) Twice a year they open the end of the White Mountain road up to the research station which cuts a couple of miles off the hike to the top and boy, it is grand central station.

[Edited on 8-13-2016 by DianaT]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.