Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Day trip to Ensenada: Sabina Restaurante Review
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 8-19-2016 at 05:07 PM
Day trip to Ensenada: Sabina Restaurante Review

Took a quick day-trip to Ensenada, and after doing some business errands, tried out "Sabina"- the indoor/sit down version of La Guerrerense street cart that has opened recently.

The cart is at the corner of Primera/Alvarado and the new restaurant is across the street, hidden back in the corner, in the courtyard. It's called "Sabina Restaurante" and offers the street cart tostadas (20 pesos/each) plus bread bowls of clam chowder, fish tacos and other soups.

Advantage of restaurant: tables to sit at, and bottles of wine and local craft beer are available, along with horchata and other drinks.

The restaurant has their own wine & beer labels, and also offers AguaMala- which we selected. I tried "Sirena"- their pilsner. My friend had the IPA, called "Astillero."

My friend and I tried tostadas with pescado con mango (not our favorite selection- not much mango). He also had tacos de pescado that were tasty. I had a tostada w/atun ahumado that was delicious, and one with jaiba that was also good.

We both experimented with the selections of homemade salsa that were muy caliente - I had to get a horchata to help put the fire. I'm glad I did- it was very good: lots of cinnamon flavor, and the sweetness put out el fuego.

The street cart is well known for award-winning tostadas: you choose the toppings from a selection of various seafood, prepared as ceviches with pulpo, jaiba, atun etc. all available.

They are topped with slices of avocado and a rich variety of salsa are set out for you to choose quantity and fire power.

Love their food, and look forward to returning. And I'm glad to have the sit-down option especially when the weather cools off and I need a fix of clam chowder in a bread bowl.

Price for two meals, two beers 1 horchata: about 300 pesos.

I shall return!

This photo is from their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/LaGuerrerenseMx/?fref=ts

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
8-19-2016 at 07:08 PM
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2016 at 07:35 AM

Excellent review, thanks Whale. Happy to hear about the beer menu. Will dine there soon.

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 8-21-2016 at 05:17 PM

FYI: the Restaurant Facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Restaurante-Sabina-La-Guerrer...

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.