Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Road Condtions - Mulege to La Paz
Angelos
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2016 at 08:42 AM
Road Condtions - Mulege to La Paz

Anyone have any information on the road conditions post-Newton? Have friends coming down from San Diego in a few days. Thanks!

The Angelos - Ken, Charlene, Cody & Jake
www.svcrossroads.com
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-7-2016 at 02:59 PM

Posted on Facebook that Hwy. 1 was washed out in 3 places (between San Ignacio and Mulegé). It usually takes crews no more than a day to clear the rocks slides or make a detour... that highway is the only road for semi trucks, busses, and most people.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Angelos
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2016 at 08:52 AM

Thanks for the info!

The Angelos - Ken, Charlene, Cody & Jake
www.svcrossroads.com
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2016 at 08:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Posted on Facebook that Hwy. 1 was washed out in 3 places (between San Ignacio and Mulegé). It usually takes crews no more than a day to clear the rocks slides or make a detour... that highway is the only road for semi trucks, busses, and most people.

From St Ignacio to Mulege ??? That`s an awful long stretch. Don`t you have it a lill more precisely?

BTW. I talked to one of our truck drivers and she(!) said The road is open since today (Thursday afternoon). So there should be no problem.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-8-2016 at 08:59 PM

I can only say what I read on Facebook, as I said... I am inviting more reports... but what you see it what we got. They did not give Km. markers on that Facebook post... I will report more details when I can.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2016 at 04:12 PM

Actually never heard of a road washout between San Ignacio and Santa Rosalia. Highway is fundamentally on high ground. That stretch seems me to be among that last parts of Mex1 to be wiped out. But, what do I know?
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 9-9-2016 at 04:31 PM

Nuthin. The hwy washes out IN San Ignatz, happended last big one for two-three days. Bottom of the hill are two very large washes north of Sta. R. that will wash, and the Hwy along the shore just north of town will wash out.

Anyone who has driven that road immediately after a storm, or has any sense of geology, geography and orography knows exactly where between Mulege and Sta R. it'll take teeth to the road, as well as south, specifically Naranjo Canyon between Coyote and Buenaventura, not to mention the several major washes between the south pass of Concepcion and Loreto........ Really...... I can count an eazy dozen depending on where the Deluge decides to Dump.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2016 at 06:20 PM

As much as I hate to contradict the ever knowing weird Howard, there are lots of places between Santa Rosalia and Mulege that washed out with Odile. Well, they did the same thing again with Newton. Serious road wash outs starting at Santa Rosalia and going all the way to Mulege. Traffic was closed today at San Lucita, (San Lucas for those in the know) and was waiting to get a bucket loader to fill in areas. Must have been 30-40 trucks waiting to get through. I hear traffic was flowing tonight but slowly.
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2016 at 07:02 AM

And, Howie Boy, they built bridges over a couple arroyos that sit just N of the Tres Virgenes, south of San Ignacio. They even named them for a Hurricane about 10 yrs ago. And not to overlook the Cuesta Del Infierno?!:bounce: Tio

[Edited on 9-10-2016 by tiotomasbcs]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.