BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: David K from the Bay of L.A.! (Jan. 2004)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-2-2005 at 11:12 PM
David K from the Bay of L.A.! (Jan. 2004)

David K from the Bay of L.A.! Part 1 (Part 2 added below)

Happy New Year Baja Nomads y Amigos!

Today (Friday) was the best day here, so far... Perfect sunshine, no wind, and was a great day for my Lost Mission Hunt V (it's still lost!).

WET!!! Yes, it rained on us starting Tuesday night or Wednesday after midnight... then most of the day Wednesday... stopping in time for the big Diaz fiesta which went over well.

We arrived about 6 pm on Tuesday after driving down via San Felipe and Gonzaga... about 3 hours later than expected due to delays buying fireworks, lunch (a great taco stand in Puertecitos), and a rock vs. tire encounter that the rock won! We had a nice visit with Coco (who looks real good) and had a patch put on the tire at Chapala. It was a new tire, but the rip was big (in the center of the tread).

At Camp Gecko were many friends including Marla and her children and friend Laura, The Humfrevilles, 4Baja & Whiskey Girl and her boys, Frank & Katie O, Bedman & Emma, Bo and daughter Andee, Georock and family, David A & Yvonne, etc. etc. Abraham (Doc), Sylvia and the girls were here.
Paulina and Dern were at their place and we saw Beach Bob, too.

Bedman provided prime rib for the pot luck feast at Gecko, New Year's Eve. It was was tremendous!!!

The drizzle rain stopped before we went into town for the big Diaz fiesta and it went over well.

New Year's Day (Thur.) was overcast and cool, but dry... A day for a drive! We did a excursion to Mision San Borja and the Montevideo pinturas (with Georock's family in their BIG yellow H2 Hummer and the Humfreville's in their BIG white cow... I mean Suburban! Lots of water in every low spot in the San Borja road... Boy, are we ever muddy!!! Dinner at Las Hamacas was a great ending of that day.

Today (Friday), the SUN came out and the clouds vanished! Pete and Josh (Georock's hubby and son) went with Sarah and I on my Lost Mission Hunt V while Chris stayed with the Humfreville's and played around the La Gringa area.

We headed up an arroyo near my previous search areas southwest from Bahia San Rafael... a beautiful white sand wash with lots of big granite boulders. It looked good and we all hiked out from the point we could drive no further... but no dice (that's why it's called a LOST mission dad!, my son reminds me). Photos of the site I am trying to relocate from winter '65/'66 are at http://vivabaja.com/402/page3.html

Anyway.. we just had another meal at Las Hamacas and I ducked into the store with Interet (next door) to give you all an update. I will be back online Sunday evening, I hope...

Happy New Year again... y Hasta la vista!

Part 2 finishes the trip report and is a seperate post called 'Back from Bay of L.A.' here on the General Baja board. A detailed report on Friday's 'Lost Mission Hunt V' is posted on the Baja Off Roading Board, here at Baja Nomad.

Part 2 (Back from Bay of L.A.)

Hola Nomads y Amigos (Nom-igos or Ami-ads?),

We got in around 1 AM this (Sun.) morning.

Left Camp Gecko about 12:30pm on a beautiful sunny day, bought 10 gallons of gas from Diaz' ($3/gal) [note: gas sold at the Hwy. 1 junction is only $2.80/gal. now].

The east 1/3 (14 miles) of the L.A. Bay highway that didn't get repaved a year+ ago, and was badly potholed before, has been greatly repaired. It is still rough, but most of the big holes that made you slow down to 20 mph or less have all been filled or patched permiting 55 mph for a light vehicle. The sky turned cloudy and I was fearful of rain until it was all blue again near El Rosario.

New pavement has been layed in the previous rough section from Laguna Chapala through Catavina to San Agustin.

Catavina Pemex pump (at the La Pinta) was CLOSED. However, across the road private enterprise was providing for the needs of travelers and Alfonso looked busy!

Arrived at Gypsy's Wet Buzzard (Cielito Lindo, San Quintin) just in time to see the sun set. Laura's mom and daughter were there and they have expanded the menu! Chris had the fried fish dinner and I had a big bowl of beef birria (YUMMY!!!)... Sarah had her favorite (chorizo breakfast burrito). After dinner, we went to Dave and Juanita's home for a visit (Porky is still as fiesty as ever).

The Baja Bash in March sounds great and as I am not yet ready to host another Viva Baja party, this would be an excellent time to get together in person again or for the first time as we have many new Nomads.

I bought gas at Colonia V. Guerrero (between San Quintin and Camalu) and it was a good station... honest, friendly, correct exchange rate. Earned them a Viva Baja sticker!

Only two military checks between Bahia de L.A. and the border. The big one just south of Maneadero asked where we were coming from and going, then waved us through. The other was at the Rosarito Toll Booth and being late both my kids were asleep under blankets (he needed to see what was hidden under the blankets)... He made us all get out in the (very) cold air and looked through the cab and one of the camping boxes in back.
All three tolls were each 23 pesos or $2.05 U.S..

Arrived at the border line at 11 pm (Sat.) and was across at 11:45. The inspector wanted to see all our IDs (birth certificates) and asked the typical questions.

Except for the rainy night (late Tue.) and day (Wed.), it was a grand trip and a joy to be with my amigos, once again.

I will post a seperate article (with nausiating details) of my fifth lost mission hunt. I think Pete (Georock's hubby) is sold on exploring Baja. His Hummer was awesome and followed my Tacoma up the arroyo easily. We found just a beautiful area (heck, all of Baja is)! Look for the story in the 'Baja Off Roading' forum here at Baja Nomad. An addition will be made to my last article on the El Camino Real in the Baja Historic forum, as well.

?Hasta Pronto!

[Edited on 2-3-2005 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.