BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Driving to La Paz - Distance Recommendations
DBoisclair

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 08:16 AM
Driving to La Paz - Distance Recommendations

In January I'm riding my motorcycle from Apache Junction AZ to La Paz. Our first stop will be Ensenada but after that all I have to go on is Google Maps to judge distances. We want to take our time so we're planning to take three days from Ensenada to La Paz - approx 460 klm/day. We could do it in two days but we want to enjoy the ride and have time for stops along the way.

I can take the distance, divide it by three and just look for communities/hotels 460 klm apart but I'd really like advice from anyone that regularly drives this route. Can you recommend communities/hotels along the way to make it a nice three-day trip?

Thx
Dale
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 08:34 AM

What is your fuel range?

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 08:50 AM

It all depends on what you want to see... as there is just so much Baja to see!

How early you get started is another factor along with the very short days in January! Keeping to 300 miles a day (6 hours driving average) is wise. Have a good Mexican breakfast and see Baja each day.

How about side trips? The paved highway to Bahia de los Angeles (with many motels there and two gas stations) may be worthy, and that is about 330 miles from Ensenada. (see my new trip report for photos of L.A. Bay)

Other options from Ensenada:
El Rosario (Baja Cactus Motel, next to the Pemex station) is 150 miles south.
Cataviņa (Hotel Mision Cataviņa) is 230 miles south.
Guerrero Negro (many motels) is 375 miles south.

The next leg should include a drive into San Ignacio, just 2 paved miles off Hwy. 1... Mission, old colonial style town plaza, motels (La Huerta is just past the mission/ plaza). It is 90 miles from Guerrero Negro.

San Ignacio to the next possible overnight stops:
Santa Rosalia (46 miles), Mulege (85 miles), Bahia Concepcion (110 miles), Loreto (170 miles) are the next options going south.

Loreto to La Paz is 220 miles.

Baja travel has many options!

Keeping to ~300 mile a day goal:
Ensenada to Bahia de L.A. : 337 miles.
Bahia de L.A. to Mulege : 299 miles.
Mulege to La Paz : 308 miles.

[Edited on 9-25-2016 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 09:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DBoisclair  
In January I'm riding my motorcycle from Apache Junction AZ to La Paz. Our first stop will be Ensenada but after that all I have to go on is Google Maps to judge distances. We want to take our time so we're planning to take three days from Ensenada to La Paz - approx 460 klm/day. We could do it in two days but we want to enjoy the ride and have time for stops along the way.

I can take the distance, divide it by three and just look for communities/hotels 460 klm apart but I'd really like advice from anyone that regularly drives this route. Can you recommend communities/hotels along the way to make it a nice three-day trip?

Thx
Dale

Dale, for moto specific routes, join AdvRider.com and look at many options. I usually ride Baja in Feb/Mar timeframes, many times to La Paz and often for Carnaval. Here's our ride report from 2014, I haven't been posting reports there since this one but if you look through that forum, you'll see plenty of moto offroad and pavement routes. By mixing longer days with shorter days, you can stay in different communities and sample their individual peculiarities. After a couple trips, you'll develop your own preferences, that's one of the truly enjoyable aspects of a relationship with Baja. NOBODY can tell you what's best for you and what you have to see or experience, it's on you to figure those things out.
:yes:
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/assignment-baja-thump-...

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 07:06 PM

Hola DBoisclair,

welcome to bajanomad

you probably already have this info but i will post it anyway. i have this info from about 10 years ago but i don't think there is any major differences. i hope it helps in calculating your daily plans and/or, any changes to your itinerary.

Border To Cabo San Lucas

U.S.Border - Rosarito 12 Miles
U.S.Border - Ensenada 68 Miles
U.S.Border - San Vicente 120 Miles
U.S.Border - San Quintin 184 Miles
U.S.Border - El Rosario 221 Miles
U.S.Border - Catavina 297 Miles
U.S.Border - Punta Prieta 362 Miles
U.S.Border - Bahia De Los Angeles 405 Miles
U.S.Border - Guerrero Negro 443 miles
U.S.Border - San Ignacio 533 Miles
U.S.Border - Santa Rosalia 579 Miles
U.S.Border - Mulege 618 Miles
U.S.Border - Loreto 703 Miles
U.S.Border - La Paz 926 Miles
U.S.Border - Todos Santos 974 Miles
U.S.Border - Los Barilles 991 Miles
U.S.Border - San Jose 1039 Miles
U.S.Border - Cabo San Lucas 1059 Miles

Driving Distances from City to City in Baja

Tijuana - Rosarito 12 Miles

have a safe and enjoyable journey.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 12:12 PM

Dale,

here is what I usually do:
1st night Catavina - Hotel Mision Catavina. The village is a dump - the hotel is paradise.
2nd night San Ignacio - Desert Inn San Ignacio. Yes, there are cheaper hotels with better Wifi, but you wanted the best of Baja, right?
3rd night Loreto - Hotel Oasis. There are more modern places in Loreto. None have their own sandy beach. Best location for breakfast in Baja.

El Rosario is overrated. Skip it. Maybe have lunch at Mama Espinoza's. For the sentimental value, not the food.
Guerrero Negro is the ugliest, windiest place in Baja. Not even the devil would vacation there.

Go check out Mulege and Santa Rosalia. Both have a vibrant charm.
Walk downtown Loreto in the evening. Decent places to eat.

Aside from that - stop wherever you like it. Coffee, lunch, a church, a junk yard, a group of people.
Side trips? Very time consuming.

Harald Pietschmann
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 01:38 PM

I would probably do something like this:

Ensenada to Catavina = 370 KM

Catavina to Mulege = 513 KM

Mulege to La Paz = 487 KM

I hear the whales song
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 02:00 PM

Ensenada - Catavina = 370 km

Catavina - San Ignacio = 379 km

San Ignacio - Loreto = 272 km

Loreto - La Paz = 356 km

Harald Pietschmann
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 02:10 PM

Check out this thread for some tips:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=81294#pid1012...

DBoisclair

[*] posted on 9-27-2016 at 07:14 AM

Thanks everyone. Some great information and advice. One more quick question....... based on a response on a different forum I'm rethinking Ensenada.
But here's some more info if it helps.
I'm riding a VStrom and can go 400klm on a tank if I stay below 100kph. My brother rides a Vulcan and he can go ~ 300 klm between fill ups but we can each carry a small jerry can so 350klm isn't a problem, even at a good clip.

But what about heading south from Mexicali and staying on 5 until it hits No 1? I understand it's all paved except for about 30klm. Is the unpaved section good enough for a cruiser? Would you recommend this over going through Ensenada?
Thx
Dale
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-27-2016 at 07:26 AM

Except for the 23 unpaved miles (which are traveled by all kinds of vehicles and semi-tractor trucks now), it is a far faster and more scenic route south. Only one town is passed through with stop signs or lights once you leave the border city of Mexicali and that is San Felipe and you should go to the malecon and enjoy a beer and fish taco or two there.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.