Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: San Felipe-area Jeep recovery
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 09:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Quote: Originally posted by mjs  
The Jeep was equipped with the stock 3-point seat belts and 4-point racing type belts. I can see where it would be possible to slip out of the shoulder part of a stock belt. Harder to do that with a race type harness. The cage has been pushed down into the top of the seats and has even deformed the driver headrest. So there may be more to Pete's injuries than just a seatbelt issue.

I wasn't there and don't know all the facts so I am going to stop speculating and posting. I've probably said to much already. The story is someone else's to tell if and when they decide to do so.

Was it a roll bar or full cage?

It was the OEM-level roll bar that Jeeps come stock with. Poison Spyder, OR-Fab and many others sell weld-in kits to strengthen the stock roll bar, but a full cage is the best route to invest in.

Pete told me that his seat belt was not securely fastened, causing him to thrash around inside of his Jeep when he went down that embankment. After seeing what happened to the Jeep driver down in Baja this past weekend on Facebook, Pete got out really lucky.

MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 10-27-2016 at 06:34 AM

I have seen 300 tow bills for just towing a car a few miles. Off road recovery in the states cost way more. Not to mention last time I saw a tow yard the storage fees were 55 dollars per night. In Baja where things disappear off of cars within hours be thankful that he was there and recovered it.
All the smack talk about coco here and from where I sit he may have saved Pete some real money.
Of course that is what some do here. Why let facts get on the way.

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-27-2016 at 09:13 AM

The emotions surrounding such vehicle incidents are understandable in any country or place. The material losses/damages are hard enough to deal with, but the emotional aftermath of such accidents takes a while to settle , especially with injuries experienced.

It is starting to appear that Coco isn't the villain here, but is being painted with such a brush. The accident was a result of driver error and certainly is unfortunate...

Sometimes we manage our distress by looking to find blame with others and direct our trauma towards them.

Ya take yer ride and ya take yer chances....

When I had a moto stolen a few years ago in San Felipe, it was because I didn't lock it for the 5 minutes I was in a panaderia investing in a post-taco donut....the shock was overwhelming for a few days, but with some local help (Kiki) and a flurry of reward posters brought the bike back 48 hours later the bike was returned and reward paid "no questions asked". I was very lucky as I wasn't injured in the event and got everything back without damage.....so I can't say I was dealing with the logistical challenges this fellow is experiencing.....but it cost $15,000 MP....worth every peso !

The thief was the pendejo.....I was the careless one.

Don't believe everything you think....
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 10-27-2016 at 10:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MICK  
I have seen 300 tow bills for just towing a car a few miles. Off road recovery in the states cost way more. Not to mention last time I saw a tow yard the storage fees were 55 dollars per night. In Baja where things disappear off of cars within hours be thankful that he was there and recovered it.
All the smack talk about coco here and from where I sit he may have saved Pete some real money.

I was surprised at the people who piled on Coco based on 2nd and 3rd hand info and the character assassination involved. Just the nature of the internet I suppose.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2016 at 12:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MICK  

Fact is he was not in the USA so why compare. Fact is $300 is high for a few days in his yard. Fact is he was never asked to recover the Jeep. Tow truck was on its way. Stick with the facts.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2016 at 12:35 PM

I don't think there was so much smack talk as much as there was surprise after all what people have done for Coco.
Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2016 at 01:02 PM

Took a look at the Jeep when I stopped by Coco's on Monday. Two days later I was at Rancho Grande and saw it being pulled north on a flatbed trailer. I guess all is well with the recovery anyway.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

smile.gif posted on 10-27-2016 at 07:57 PM
Steve has the Jeep! Currently on his way back from San Felipe

Thank you, Mark for helping Pete get his Jeep back!! I can't wait to hear the story!!:bounce:

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2016 at 07:04 AM

just my 2cents. over the years i have stopped at cocos maybe 20 times. just the usual stop one makes there: 2 beers,bs with coco& any other riders who my be there. leave a good, but not stupid tip, and ride off. there was one occasion when we had a problem with my buddys husky. long story short coco scavenged what we needed from the junk he had laying around. all help, no mention of compensation.
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 10-28-2016 at 07:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  

I was surprised at the people who piled on Coco based on 2nd and 3rd hand info and the character assassination involved. Just the nature of the internet I suppose.

Nature of the medium? How about of the individuals who use it. :light:

I think that was my point, just phrased differently.
Steve & Lillian

[*] posted on 10-28-2016 at 08:13 PM

All went well after a long road trip we left SD at 10:00am & back home safely at 3:00 am this morning...Thanks Mark for helping us shortening our trip. Thank you everyone for pulling together....
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2016 at 08:21 PM

N2Baja
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 05:06 AM

Yay!! Way to go Steve and Lillian and everyone who stepped up and helped out!!:bounce:

Forget about the danger and think of the fun.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 09:42 AM

Pete wanted to thank Steve, Lillian and Mark for their work in returning his Jeep. He was in disbelief when he got the phone call from Steve that his Jeep had been returned.

Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.