BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Planning trip, help appreciated!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 07:34 PM
Planning trip, help appreciated!

Why do obsessive compulsives with an internet umbilical cord need every foot and minute of the journey outlined on a aaa trip ticket?
Crikey!
Just go and do it!
You got massive 4wd, air compressors, atvs, a boat, and probably two 400 coolers! (Yeti,, I am sure!)
Just go figure it out and don't ask for momma to plot every turn!
If in doubt, go to off road warehouse or REI and spend another $800 for another cool gadget!

[Edited on 10-24-2016 by mtgoat666]
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 07:51 PM

somebody pee in your Wheaties this AM - Devil Goat ?

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 07:57 PM

Avoid the road closest to the south end of the bay at km.76 and go to the next road, almost to km.74.
We were on it last month, see the trip report 'The Baja Extreme 2016'.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 08:06 PM

What would you do if one road or another is impassable? Go, have a good time. Sometimes, "you buy your ticket take the ride"

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Thornton

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 08:19 PM

Thanks for the comment David K. I had seen that thread, but missed the specific post there.
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 08:20 PM

Thornton, I can't offer any advice but envy you for the trip you're planning.
There's a couple of guys that hang out on this forum that have taken their dirt bikes near the areas you're looking for intel on. They'll more than likely post up their experience.
Of course, every year the access challenges change due to hurricane damage, so it might be difficult to access recent info.
You should be aware that the Baja 1000 SCORE race is taking place Nov 15 - 20th, and pre-running started this weekend. You don't want to be on the road race day (18th) as chase trucks are in a REAL hurry to get to their next stop. Seriously, be 40 miles or more south of El Rosario before then, or don't be travelling north at that time.
Thornton

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 08:40 PM

KasloKid: Thanks for that! Had seen that my time frame was gonna overlap the Baja 1000, but hadn't looked up specifics to see how it was gonna impact travel.

Yeah, that whole zone seemed like it got some good weather through the storm season which is why i'm especially curious on these roads.
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 09:33 PM

Thorton... if you want or need to, you can avoid race traffic by taking Mex 5 to San Felipe, through Gonzaga Bay out to Hwy 1 at Lake Chapala, 32 miles south of Catavina. Watch out for the "truck launching vados" north of Puertecitos.
However, if you get an opportunity to go through Catavina either Northbound or Southbound, it's worth the trip as the scenery around there is memorable.
You're right, Mulege and Loreto got hit pretty hard a month and a half ago by hurricane Odile.... just north of the area you're interested in.

[Edited on 10-24-2016 by KasloKid]
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 10:41 PM

In September we tried to get out to San Basiilo and were met with both roads being closed. Seems like Daddy War Bucks who has a house out there doesn't want any visitors. Love to know if it is accessible, looks like a cool place.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2016 at 04:09 AM

I, for one, had never even heard of the two places you are trying to get to and we live here in Baja. It will be very interesting to read your trip report. bon voyage!

your maps above are very beautiful but it would be nice to see a reference point since I don't know where on highway 1 you start off from?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-24-2016 at 06:17 AM

BajaBlanca, If you were able to zoom out on the top map, you would see the southern end of Bahia Conception on the left, and the Sea of Cortez on the right.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-24-2016 at 08:27 AM

Here is our GPS track, at the very bottom is the access from near Km. 74:

Here is my recent article about the other side of Concepcion Bay, with a road log: https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/bahia_co...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Thornton

[*] posted on 10-24-2016 at 09:21 AM

Bajazly: thanks for that. Seems like it's iffy over there. Ideally I'll make it out to Pulpito and then scoot down to San Basilio in the skiff so I can talk with some folks there and see what the score is.

KasioKid: Been thru that Cataviņa zone before. Super scenic drive!

David K: Thanks again. Play-by-play with the road conditions are great and pictures always help!

[Edited on 10-24-2016 by Thornton]
msulkers

[*] posted on 12-12-2016 at 05:47 PM

I recognize this is too late for Thornton, but my wife and I drove the km 48+ road to the beach both ways today and found it to be in the best condition we've seen in a long time. The road was pretty freshly metalled and the surface was in good shape. A couple of silt pits just before la cuesta blanca, but no problem in 2WD. La cuesta was itself in superb condition and 2WD easily.

Access to beach is good from both ends and there is no signage. ZOFEMAT markers are on the beach and driving to the camping areas is straight-forward.

The old chain-link gates have been replaced with modern US/Can style cattleguards, so no gates to contend with. The rancherito at the top of la cuesta looks like the garden is ready for produce...will check a la manana...

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.