Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: RV fridge not working
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2016 at 10:57 AM
RV fridge not working

We have a Dometic Fridge in our 16 year old Northstar pop-up camper that quit working after a trip on the Gonzaga road in September (not sure if that had anything to do with it. Maybe it was just old age) Won't get cold on gas or electric. Tried all our usual tricks but haven't tried removing it and "burping" it yet. Not having any luck finding someone in Loreto to fix it. Any of you out there have an idea for fixing it, or know of a possible replacement being unused in a retired RV somewhere down here?
Really appreciate any and all help. Not ready to retire the camper yet and planning another trip to the mainland in January.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2016 at 11:32 AM

I would seriously look at Quartzite. There are some really good refrigerator repair guys there. The fact that the elec and gas do not work seems to suggest a need to flush and charge.
A-OK
Nomad

Mood: faded

[*] posted on 10-25-2016 at 12:08 PM

I had the same issue during a trip and remembered hearing about a remedy that works sometimes. Remove the unit and turn upside down for 24hrs. I reinstalled and it worked. Something about crystallization of the refrigerant from being bounced around so much.

Worth a try .
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 10-25-2016 at 12:23 PM

Are you presently in Loreto?

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2016 at 01:00 PM

howard, yep, now in loreto.
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2016 at 01:11 PM

Pescador,, if they was to go to Quartzite,, they would have to go thru Yuma first, many great repair shops here

burping would be my first option

I also think I remember a RV repair place in San Felipe
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2016 at 01:18 PM
Try this

you can find answers to almost any thing related to RVs here, years and years of knowledge, just sign in, its free

http://www.irv2.com/forums/

dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

Mood: rather be on the beach at Gonzaga

[*] posted on 10-25-2016 at 01:46 PM

Upside down so the ammonia can get "burped" x 24 hrs....worked like a charm on our 04 Northstar popup...and make sure that your reasonably level when parked
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 10-25-2016 at 02:36 PM

Bob and Jane

Check your U2U

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2016 at 04:00 PM

Howard,
Replied to your U2U.
And Dizzyspots and A-OK I'm thinking we'll have to give your fix a try.
Thanks all.
Stiktime

[*] posted on 10-25-2016 at 04:01 PM

Any smell or sight of ammonia ? Bright yellow color ! Ammonia leaks usually found at welds on coil unit-rear of fridge . If so that would be kiss of death for the unit > Beware of those that will tell you they can repair and recharge that old of a unit. Be sure and get good warranty info if you go that route. A new replacement coil would be a better choice. Good luck.
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 07:17 AM

I had a similar problem. Tried all the usual tricks to no avail. A friend said to get a new regulator. The problem actually turned out to be a bad gas regulator on the bottle. Most local hardware stores sell regulators and they're cheap. Might want to swap it out just to rule that out as the problem.

Everything else worked OK, but the pressure wasn't enough for the fridge to work properly.

fish101
Nomad

Mood: energized

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 07:35 AM

IF it doesn't work on 110 vac or propane, then it is either developed an ammonia leak or blown fuse.. If your 12 vdc voltage is less than 9.5 vdc the circuit board will not work either.. Make sure your voltages are good and check your fuses.. In 20 years with RV's I have never had to take one out and turn it up side down.. Yes, if the ammonia has leaked out, it will not work.. but, get someone to check the voltage on the unit first. Not many people in Loreto that can work on them and know what they are doing, so be careful.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 08:03 AM

How does a blown fuse effect propane? and how does a propane regulator effect 12 volt? I am betting ammonia problem.
beller

Mood: missin baja

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 10:04 AM

Hi. Have you checked to see if the insulation is not fallen over the chimney??
I had the same happen this year,same fridge same popup and the insulation had fallen over the chimney not allowing it to vent. Would stay lit on gas and also 110 but stayed hot. Just a thought!!!
fish101
Nomad

Mood: energized

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 08:47 PM

Fridge needs 12 vdc to activate the gas valve for one thing. This particular unit has three options for cooling. 12vdc, 120vac and propane. No 12 vdc going to the unit. No ammonia leaks in the unit and no smell of ammonia.. Not getting 12vdc from the house battery, so either fuse blown or wire is loose. Needs constant 12 vdc (minimum of 9.6 vdc) ...

[Edited on 10-27-2016 by fish101]
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2016 at 10:07 AM

There you go. Fish101 spent hours here working with Bob in the midday heat yesterday. We owe him big time. Still waiting this morning for our electrical guy to come and try the fix they figured out.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.