BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Drive from San Diego to Bahia de los Angeles via San Felipe
Duffys Tavern

[*] posted on 10-25-2016 at 05:29 PM
Drive from San Diego to Bahia de los Angeles via San Felipe

TextFirst Post, excuse as necessary. Wife and I are driving from San Diego area to Bahia de los Angeles, via San Felipe, and are interested in thoughts on driving routes (if variations exist) road conditions from San Felipe to BLA, and anything else you'd like to mention. A week in BLA is worth 5-6 days of driving, as we're driving from the Central Coast of CA. Looking forward to my first cold Pacifico...

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 10-25-2016 at 05:43 PM

Cross at tecate. Easy drive down hwy 2 -toll road. Beatific views coming down from rumorosa. Hit 5 in mexicali.
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2016 at 06:00 PM

why do you want to take Mex 5 through San felipe
go through San Yesidro and take Mex 1 all the way to Bay of LA turnoff
If you go through San Felipe you have a stretch of dirt road south of Gonzaga that takes you out to Mex 1 north of the BOLA turn off
I go through San Felipe because I live in Arizona But when I lived in So Cal I like to take Mex 1
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2016 at 06:11 PM

Welcome to Nomads...sometimes no minds. The only variation in route will be between San Diego and San Felipe. After that only one basic route. Soooo San Diego to Mexicali to San Felipe or San Diego, Ensenada, San Felipe.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-25-2016 at 06:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaDanD  
why do you want to take Mex 5 through San felipe
go through San Yesidro and take Mex 1 all the way to Bay of LA turnoff
If you go through San Felipe you have a stretch of dirt road south of Gonzaga that takes you out to Mex 1 north of the BOLA turn off
I go through San Felipe because I live in Arizona But when I lived in So Cal I like to take Mex 1

I too am in San Diego and prefer the 5 as it is more scenic, less traffic, no San Quintin and Ensenada traffic delays, no curvy hills out of El Rosario, and only 23 unpaved, easy miles in an SUV or truck.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Duffys Tavern

[*] posted on 10-25-2016 at 07:20 PM

so you would go to Mexicali and then come down from there?
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 10-25-2016 at 07:25 PM

I'd drive to ensenada to the 3 to the 5, but thats just me
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2016 at 08:03 PM

Like ehall said, cross at Tecate. After a few blocks you turn left on toll highway 2 which takes you to hwy 5 on the south end of Mexicali. You miss all the town traffic in Mexicali. And hwy 2 is beautiful going down the grade.

Or why not go both ways? Go south down the Pacific side through San Ysidro, TJ, Ensenada etc. and return up Hwy 5 and Hwy 2 through Tecate. That way you get a different look and see more country.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2016 at 08:50 PM

Duffy's Tavern,

We missed you this past summer!

W8DRN y KK6WMX

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2016 at 08:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Duffys Tavern  
so you would go to Mexicali and then come down from there?

I have done both routes many times, as well as the mentioned Ensenada to San Felipe route.

I-8 to El Centro to Calexico is the fastest. Mexicali is about the easiest city to cross from the border south. Take the street with the train tracks in the center and follow the many San Felipe signs.

Getting to Tecate from San Diego is lots of curvy road, then tolls in Mexico, and the big down grade to the desert is slower than I-8 down.

The Ensenada to San Felipe highway is great except for the first 20 very curvy miles over the mountain plus that terrible city traffic in Ensenada.

For variety, try different routes as suggested. Never be in a hurry in Mexico.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2016 at 11:24 PM

Another vote for crossing at Tecate and taking the toll road over to the coast and missing all the Mexicali traffic...just better on the soul. But yes, you have to be prepared for the final stretch of dirt road leading back to Highway 1. For now, I will never go down the west route and that horrible slog thru San Quintin (unless of course, I am going to San Quintin!). Even when the new road is completed and the traffic truly begins, it will still probably be my choice.

As DK said, best not to be in a hurry...Baja roads don't like that.
bajaric
Senior Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 12:59 PM

To get to San Felipe for a newbie the easy flat way through Mexicali is a better choice. Plenty of new wonders await a first time driver in Mexico; no need to add to the adventure with a trip down La Rumorosa. Also the type of vehicle would make a difference in choosing a route.
Duffys Tavern

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 03:22 PM

I think Jay was meaning he's a newbie with Nomads, not with Baja driving. We've always gone the Pacific side route, but friends are switching to San Felipe way, so thought we'd try it. I think we'll do the Tecate crossing, Hwy 2 to 5 and thanks to all who've replied and big howdy to P and D.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 03:40 PM

When you enter at Tecate, the first trick is finding a parking spot to get your tourist card... after entering Mexico, the first cross street is one way, to the left (but the INM parking area is on the right). So most recommend you go to the next street, turn right and come back up the block to the correct street. An attendee may be there to move cones for you to park. We lucked out and found parking to the left.. so look left first!

Once the immigration formality is done, head down the hill (south a couple more blocks) to the main east-west street (it is along the citry park) and turn left (this is Hwy. 2 to Mexicali).

Take it about 3 miles to where it meets the toll highway (Hwy. 2-D) and take that (or stay on the slower free road).

The first toll is El Hongo (about $4 dollars).
The free and toll roads join for the drop off the mountain at La Rumorosa (about $1.25 toll)
Before Mexicali, take the toll road (again 2-D) signed for San Felipe... toll gate is where it meets Hwy. 5, about $4-5 dollars).

Hwy. 5 south is a breeze, some of it is now 4 lanes, too. In San Felipe, you turn right at the traffic circle (past the white arches). Lots of 4 way stops along here. Top you tank at one of the three Pemex station you pass on the right. Two more stations are on each side of the traffic circle, too. The one station south of the circle is closed.

Next gas along the highway is at Gonzaga Bay, 95 miles south... then it is 100 miles more to L.A. Bay, which has 2 gas stations.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.