Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: mountain dweller seeks help avoiding epic skunking in the salt
edevart
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2016 at 10:38 PM
mountain dweller seeks help avoiding epic skunking in the salt

I need some advice on a basic but functional. spinning rod and reel to bring to Baja this winter during a short three week overland trip down the peninsula. I'm a lifelong fly fisherman here in Colorado, who could tell you exactly what to fish and when in the Rockies, but who doesn't have much of a clue when it comes to fishing the salt of the Cortes or the Baja pacific, or fishing a spinning rod in general. I'm not asking for trade secrets or gps coordinates here, just any general tips you'd have on gear and techniques for fishing the salt for the occasional dinner fish while camping on the beach along the peninsula in December and January. Any advice would be much appreciated.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 03:35 AM

Where you will fish has a lot to do with it.
Generally speaking, salt water fishermen use convetional reels. 30-50 lb test and up. Trolling, jigging, or "flylinning" live bait. "Surface" fishing.
"Flylinning" simply means letting the bait fish swim freely with no or very little weight. Sometimes you cast it a little ways but mostly you just drop him over the side and let him swim. He will find a gamefish for you.
If you are casting from the beach then a spinning reel should work. 15lb test min.
You could cast iron from a spinning reel off a boat but then 30lb test min and that's a bit light.
There is also bottom fishing. A dropper loop for game fish, and a rock fish rig for other bottom dwellers. Heavy conventional reel with lots of line. Usually deep.
Others may chime in with lure selection etc.
If you want the fishing trip of your life go visit Juan and Shari in Bahia Asuncion. Now is best but I caught the last tuna of the year there at Christmas time. I think they were decent size bluefin 25-30lbs. I didn't use a spinning reel.
You might cast a spinning reel from a sandy beach there for halibut.

¡buena suerte!:coolup:

[Edited on 10-26-2016 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 03:45 AM

I second the motion to visit Shari and Juan in Asuncion and then come camp on the beach here in La Bocana too! Make sure you come and introduce yourself to Les and I (Blanca). Fishing happens to be really good this year due to warm water temps.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 03:46 AM

December or January I recommend going as far south as you can. Try this site if you haven't already.
http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/forum/baja-mexico-fishing-r...

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 04:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
I second the motion to visit Shari and Juan in Asuncion and then come camp on the beach here in La Bocana too! Make sure you come and introduce yourself to Les and I (Blanca). Fishing happens to be really good this year due to warm water temps.

I like your webpage Blanca!
I really need to visit your area. Was there once many moons ago.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 08:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
Generally speaking, salt water fishermen use convetional reels. 30-50 lb test and up. Trolling, jigging, or "flylinning" live bait. "Surface" fishing.
"Flylinning" simply means letting the bait fish swim freely with no or very little weight. Sometimes you cast it a little ways but mostly you just drop him over the side and let him swim. He will find a gamefish for you.
If you are casting from the beach then a spinning reel should work. 15lb test min.
You could cast iron from a spinning reel off a boat but then 30lb test min and that's a bit light.
There is also bottom fishing. A dropper loop for game fish, and a rock fish rig for other bottom dwellers. Heavy conventional reel with lots of line. Usually deep.
If you want the fishing trip of your life go visit Juan and Shari in Bahia Asuncion. Now is best but I caught the last tuna of the year there at Christmas time. I think they were decent size bluefin 25-30lbs. I didn't use a spinning reel.

Depends Fishbuck. Lots of light tackle fishing with spinning rods from the beach or in the estros. nice corvine, halibut, croaker etc caught that way.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 08:33 AM

Dec and Jan can be kinda slow. If fishing from shore you might want to try some bait if casting lures isn't working.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 08:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by edevart  
I need some advice on a basic but functional. spinning rod and reel to bring to Baja this winter during a short three week overland trip down the peninsula. I'm a lifelong fly fisherman here in Colorado, who could tell you exactly what to fish and when in the Rockies, but who doesn't have much of a clue when it comes to fishing the salt of the Cortes or the Baja pacific, or fishing a spinning rod in general. I'm not asking for trade secrets or gps coordinates here, just any general tips you'd have on gear and techniques for fishing the salt for the occasional dinner fish while camping on the beach along the peninsula in December and January. Any advice would be much appreciated.

You are a fly fisherman, so I suggest you take fly fishing gear. Flyfishing, have caught grouper from the shore in the lagoons, and caught much shore fishing beach breaks and rocky/cliffy shores. Use 8, 9 or 10 weight rod, and in almost all cases you want your fly to sink to near bottom.
If you want to get lost in lots of fishing talk about shore salt water fishing, just google it up (google salt water fly fishing for san diego and baja), and try bloodydecks website.
For shore fishing you dont need a license. If you get in any type of boat you need a license.
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 09:59 AM

Big Waters Edge is a great source of information.
There is an ongoing thread on a fly fishing trip to Gonzaga Bay that you might enjoy.
Bonus: Fish pron

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 11:27 AM

"Here's a little tip that I would like to relate...." Drive in to the center of any town or village in Baja California or Baja California del Sur. Ask where the fish market it. Go there. You will be able to catch there cleaned beautiful fish fillets of a number of species depending on the day. You will be shocked at how inexpensive they are. You will not be skunked I guarantee.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 04:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Depends Fishbuck. Lots of light tackle fishing with spinning rods from the beach or in the estros. nice corvine, halibut, croaker etc caught that way.

Mag bay area maybe?

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 05:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Mag bay area maybe?

Lots of places between Mag Bay and Laguna Manuela (Jesus Maria).
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 07:30 PM

Good tip thanks

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 07:39 PM

believe me....if you're a proficient fresh water angler, salt water fishing will be a slam dunk! :yes:
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2016 at 12:58 AM

Rod: Shakespeare Ugly Stik, 7 feet
Reel: Penn or Shimano saltwater spinning reel
Line: 12lb test Pline

Sandy Beaches: Berkeley seaworms. Tie 8lb tippet to a swivel.
Rocky Shoreline: Plastic grubs, Kastmasters, Krocodiles
Lagoons: Plastic grubs, Kastmasters

You're set!

Leave the fly rods back home at first.
edevart
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2016 at 09:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Rod: Shakespeare Ugly Stik, 7 feet
Reel: Penn or Shimano saltwater spinning reel
Line: 12lb test Pline

Sandy Beaches: Berkeley seaworms. Tie 8lb tippet to a swivel.
Rocky Shoreline: Plastic grubs, Kastmasters, Krocodiles
Lagoons: Plastic grubs, Kastmasters

You're set!

Thanks man!
Leave the fly rods back home at first.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2016 at 02:55 PM

Since you U2U'ed me here are some more tips to help you along:

Pacific Beaches:
Look for beaches with long gentle slopes and fish the last half of an incoming tide. Spring tide is best. Fish on days when the surf is small. They will stay outside when the surf is bug. A 60 foot cast is sufficient when they're in. Catch: halibut, yellowfin croaker, corbina.

Cortez rocky shore:
Cobblestone areas for spotted bay bass. Ricky points for triggerfish. Look for giant boulders dropping off with deep ledges. You will also find cabrilla and lady fish at such places.

Pacific lagoons:
Access from shore is difficult due to mangroves. Need to find openings. Look for large beds of eelgrass and you will get spotted bay bass and some halibut. Find the main channel and you will get corvina and spotted bay bass. Each lagoon has a main channel which drains it. This is where the gold is.

[Edited on 10-27-2016 by Skipjack Joe]
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2016 at 11:32 PM

Some other thoughts. It may be blasphemy to some but now and then you just want dinner so bring a bag of frozen squid. On the Cortez side use the squid with a small hook and Triggers will be your dinner...might want to google as to how to clean them but eating wise it doesn't get much better...if going down south on the Cortez side you'll could still have some fresh ceviche fixins and Trigger is the bomb for that. Chrome Krocodiles are your friend as to the best all around lure from shore...the Baja rocks can really rip your line up so I like to use 20-25 lb test but your results may vary. Spotted Bay Bass may be the majority of your catch from shore depending on where you are but they are delicious for tacos etc...Corvina are often the biggest and best "shore" fish for the Upper Cortez...and once again, eating wise it doesn't get much better. The back half of a rising tide is best for them.

And you said you'll be camping on the beach so beware at night! Before going to bed coyote proof your camp! Make sure all food and water is safely tucked away. After you have done that, check it again to make sure! They are thirsty...and hungry...and smart. Have fun!
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-28-2016 at 07:45 AM

One of the Big Water's Edge heavyweight fisherman lives in Bahia Asunción (Rossman). He has caught everything on his kayak. And all of his buddies as well.

Quote: Originally posted by DavidT  
Big Waters Edge is a great source of information.
There is an ongoing thread on a fly fishing trip to Gonzaga Bay that you might enjoy.
Bonus: Fish pron

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

DJL
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2016 at 09:06 AM

You can find everything you need to know on this page -

https://www.facebook.com/bigbajaadventure/

D.~

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.