BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Headed to Rosarito for the first time in 15+years
kbtube

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 03:07 PM
Headed to Rosarito for the first time in 15+years

I am headed to Rosarito for the first time since 2001. I haven't even been south of the border in that long. Any advice, tips or tricks would be appreciated.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 03:25 PM

You won't believe the changes....the growth. It ain't the sleepy village you once saw.
Be vigilant. Personal safety is your responsibility.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 03:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by kbtube  
I am headed to Rosarito for the first time since 2001. I haven't even been south of the border in that long. Any advice, tips or tricks would be appreciated.

yeah as you're traveling south from the rosarito beach hotel on the free road watch for new stop signs where no sane persons would ever put one! ;)
the town is looking wonderful....salud!
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 10-27-2016 at 08:34 AM

Make sure you have a passport and get your FMM, I think under 7 days is free, but you still need it. And of course Mexican auto insurance. Peso exchange rate is fabulous right now. You can get a 6 pack of Bohemia for $5 US.

We used to go to Rosario in the mid-late 1980s. We saw it for first time again in 2003. Whoa, what a change! And it is even more changed now. Have fun.
SlyOnce
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2016 at 09:10 AM

If you drive in you don't need a FMM (visa). Cross the border, make the first right, and get on Ave. International (the freeway). Follow this to Rosarito, there is one toll booth, its about $2.50 you can pay in dollars or pesos. Pay all local restaurants, bars, etc in pesos. The best way to get pesos is to use an ATM at Commercial Mexicana or similar. I always use these as they are inside and guarded so there is no risk.

Most people drive right by Playas, where I live, but I encourage you to stop, walk on the Malecon, have a coffee, maybe enjoy lunch at one of our hundreds of restaurants.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2016 at 11:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by kbtube  

don't know what days you're traveling or if you've booked a stay....but the Calafia hotel is advertising all rooms $35 sunday thru thursday, includes 2 free margaritas! sounds like a good deal to me! :yes:
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-27-2016 at 12:22 PM

Your best course of action is to forget the advice below. Stop and get your FMM, as it is the law (even if not enforced). If you need pesos, there is an ATM in the building lobby where INM (Immigration) has their office.

Quote: Originally posted by SlyOnce  
If you drive in you don't need a FMM (visa).
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2016 at 02:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Your best course of action is to forget the advice below. Stop and get your FMM, as it is the law (even if not enforced). If you need pesos, there is an ATM in the building lobby where INM (Immigration) has their office.

Yoosta be INM would only accept coin of the realm. Has that changed?

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-27-2016 at 02:15 PM

Dunno......guests getting FMM's have always paid in pesos

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  
Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

Yoosta be INM would only accept coin of the realm. Has that changed?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-27-2016 at 03:28 PM

fwiw: INM in Mexicali accepts dollars or pesos (or did the last two times there this year).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.