Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Best San Diego crossing for RV
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2016 at 08:42 AM
Best San Diego crossing for RV

My folks are joining us for Christmas this year and will be driving south in a 33 ft. rv and towing a rig. What crossing is the best? They need to get their tourist permits but we can always do that the day prior to crossing if need be.

Also, any suggestions for rv parks either in San Quintin or El Rosario?

Any places to get potable water in GN or Vizcaino?

Thanks

Zac

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-30-2016 at 09:10 AM

San Ysidro has a large parking lot next to the SAT building....just stay in the "To Declare" lane. Otay also has a large To Declare parking lot. They will have to get the MH inspected so either one works. Just a short walk at either for the FMM's

If they use Otay and Blvd 2000, they will avoid 2 toll booths (Playas and Rosarito), only paying at Ensenada (San Miguel)
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2016 at 01:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
San Ysidro has a large parking lot next to the SAT building....just stay in the "To Declare" lane. Otay also has a large To Declare parking lot. They will have to get the MH inspected so either one works. Just a short walk at either for the FMM's

If they use Otay and Blvd 2000, they will avoid 2 toll booths (Playas and Rosarito), only paying at Ensenada (San Miguel)

Thanks, we'll be driving along and know both routes well.

CVBaja

[*] posted on 11-30-2016 at 02:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

Zac

I have spent many nights in my van at Los Olivos in San Quintin. It is a couple doors down from the famous El Jardines. Hot Water, super clean bathrooms, full hookups, secured compound with strong gate. Also a pool during the summer months. www.losolivosrvpark.com

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2016 at 02:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CVBaja  

Zac

I have spent many nights in my van at Los Olivos in San Quintin. It is a couple doors down from the famous El Jardines. Hot Water, super clean bathrooms, full hookups, secured compound with strong gate. Also a pool during the summer months. www.losolivosrvpark.com

thanks, that should work!

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2016 at 02:26 PM

Cielito Lindo in San Quintin. A classic Baja dive!
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2016 at 03:14 PM

San Ysidro is where I usually go. You have to pull into the immigration area to get your paperwork stamped. Then pull out of that area and go into the far right lane. They will then direct you to the X-Ray area and you will have to exit the RV while they run the X-Ray machine over your vehicle. Then you have to park while they review the monitor. This can take a while. If everything checks out, they send you on your way.

Mission Santa Maria will allow RVs to park in their parking lot for free as long as you have dinner or drinks there. I have stayed there many times in my RV as well as in the hotel. They have a security guard onsite.

Los Olivos is very nice and a short walk to El Jardines. I think it's about $15 or $20 per night. I have stayed there and it was very nice.

El Jardines will also let you park your RV behind the restaurant for free if you eat there, however I have never camped there. The food at the restaurant is very good and I have eaten there on numerous occasions.

There are a couple RV campgrounds a little further south of S.Q. that are right on the beach. Fidel's is one of them. I've stayed there a few times but years ago. They have hot showers and an RV dumpsite. Nothing fancy there.

There are some RV campgrounds in El Rosario but I have never staey at any.

[Edited on 11-30-2016 by Bob53]

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2016 at 04:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob53  
San Ysidro is where I usually go. You have to pull into the immigration area to get your paperwork stamped. Then pull out of that area and go into the far right lane. They will then direct you to the X-Ray area and you will have to exit the RV while they run the X-Ray machine over your vehicle. Then you have to park while they review the monitor. This can take a while. If everything checks out, they send you on your way.

Mission Santa Maria will allow RVs to park in their parking lot for free as long as you have dinner or drinks there. I have stayed there many times in my RV as well as in the hotel. They have a security guard onsite.

Los Olivos is very nice and a short walk to El Jardines. I think it's about $15 or $20 per night. I have stayed there and it was very nice.

El Jardines will also let you park your RV behind the restaurant for free if you eat there, however I have never camped there. The food at the restaurant is very good and I have eaten there on numerous occasions.

There are a couple RV campgrounds a little further south of S.Q. that are right on the beach. Fidel's is one of them. I've stayed there a few times but years ago. They have hot showers and an RV dumpsite. Nothing fancy there.

Great info...thanks!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-30-2016 at 04:42 PM

It's all good advice Zac!

El Rosario has a pretty small RV park that is in the Sinahi Motel area (behind the restaurant and rooms is the RV park). Bob H likes to post the funny dog pooping sign he took when he camped there back in 2005.

I think the Los Olivos or Mission Santa Maria (former Las Pintas/Desert Inn hotel, next to Cielito Lindo property) idea is better and easier to get in and out.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajagregg
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2016 at 04:57 PM

Great info...thanks!

Traveling Baja for 50 years.
bajagregg
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2016 at 05:07 PM

Bob53 has good information except that the best lane to access the X-ray machine is the far left lane, not the right lane. You will have trouble getting to the X-ray area from the other lanes. Also, if you are towing a car on a tow bar park just outside the immigration/customs area since you cannot go in reverse with a tow bar. Plenty of room the park outside the designated parking area. Then loop back and get in the far left lane.

gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2016 at 07:15 PM

The above are correct instructions. The problem, however, is that if there is a lot of backed up traffic trying to cross, it will be very difficult to get from the far right to the far left because it means crossing many lanes of bumper to bumper cars. My suggestion is either to cross very early in the morning or get the visas the day before and then stay in the far left lane when crossing. Remember you need passports to get the tourist permits.

Quote: Originally posted by bajagregg  
Bob53 has good information except that the best lane to access the X-ray machine is the far left lane, not the right lane. You will have trouble getting to the X-ray area from the other lanes. Also, if you are towing a car on a tow bar park just outside the immigration/customs area since you cannot go in reverse with a tow bar. Plenty of room the park outside the designated parking area. Then loop back and get in the far left lane.

Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2016 at 01:01 PM

I was told by border officials that the only lane that allows RVs was the far right lane. However, I haven't driven my RV down that way for over a year. There is an X-Ray machine right in front of the right lane so it is very easy to enter.

Quote: Originally posted by gsbotanico  
The above are correct instructions. The problem, however, is that if there is a lot of backed up traffic trying to cross, it will be very difficult to get from the far right to the far left because it means crossing many lanes of bumper to bumper cars. My suggestion is either to cross very early in the morning or get the visas the day before and then stay in the far left lane when crossing. Remember you need passports to get the tourist permits.

Quote: Originally posted by bajagregg  

[Edited on 12-1-2016 by Bob53]

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
12-1-2016 at 02:46 PM
bajagregg
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2016 at 06:25 PM

The far left lane is what you want. I suppose that would be the far right lane if you are in Mexico facing the incoming US traffic.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-5-2016 at 06:42 PM

the x-ray machine is on the left. not on the side where you get FMMs.

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2016 at 06:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  

There are two machines...one on the left and one on the right. The one on the right was there first.

Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2016 at 07:54 PM

There are two machines...one on the left and one on the right. The one on the right was there first.

And the one on the right is the best option if you are going to the immigration office.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-13-2016 at 06:22 PM

And the one on the right is the best option if you are going to the immigration office.

oh, i've only used the one on the left. luckily it was 4am and no one else in line.

CVBaja

[*] posted on 12-15-2016 at 04:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by CVBaja  

Zac

I have spent many nights in my van at Los Olivos in San Quintin.

Just for clarity, CVBaja, are you on the Los Olivos staff?

I do work for the Charity that runs the campground. I help with the promotion and communications. I spend my summers in Mexico at Los Olivos (last year I camped in my van)

[Edited on 12-15-2016 by CVBaja]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.