Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Alternative gas carrying for bikes
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2016 at 07:28 AM
Alternative gas carrying for bikes

https://www.giantloopmoto.com/product/gas-bag-fuel-safe-blad...

Kinda expensive but looks cool and might be a good addition

John M
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2016 at 09:09 AM

I use an MSR water bladder to carry extra gas, not what it was designed for but it works. I'm sure this is a safe,r better product for safely lugging gas around on your bike. GL makes good gear so I'm sure this will be the same quality.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 12-19-2016 at 10:39 AM

GiantLoop makes great stuff (Coyote and Mojave, for instance....have them and love them....into my second Coyote but original is patched and haven't used the new one yet).....but they are getting a bit blingy a la Tourtech....

Fine print for gas bag suggests:

"Gas Bag Fuel Safe Bladder

NOTE: Intended only for the temporary transport of liquid hydrocarbons for racing vehicles used in professional off road and closed course competition racing events. The Gas Bag Fuel Safe Bladder is not a portable or long-term fuel storage container as described by ASTM, EPA, ARB or other state or federal agencies. BY PURCHASING PRODUCT AND FILLING IT WITH FUEL YOU ARE AGREEING TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS LISTED HERE ON THIS PAGE."

Getting a bigger tank is a rider's first step....15-20 liter tanks DO NOT compromise a bike's handling for most Baja riding.....my 25 litre tank on my 450 is limiting when in deeper sand and when tank is full....just don't fill it to the brim for shorter days of more technical riding. I currently have a 13 liter tank on it down here, and may look for a few empty oil bottles for a day or two for longer rides....

Don't believe everything you think....
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 12-19-2016 at 12:44 PM

carried a 5 quart oil jug all over Baja with a piece of rope over my shoulder. Cheap and easy.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2016 at 01:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Getting a bigger tank is a rider's first step....15-20 liter tanks DO NOT compromise a bike's handling for most Baja riding

Easy to do. My DRZ came with a 2-gallon tank - I swapped it with a 4-gallon Acerbis tank. Muy better!

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2016 at 03:16 PM

2- 1 gal antifreeze jugs full of gas and held with a belt around the waist. Put the gas in the bike and burn the plastic jugs.
I saw my buddy do it for along ride. He also had the 4 gal tank.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2016 at 03:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
2- 1 gal antifreeze jugs full of gas and held with a belt around the waist. Put the gas in the bike and burn the plastic jugs.
I saw my buddy do it for along ride. He also had the 4 gal tank.
What could possibly go wrong?

"The future ain't what it used to be"
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2016 at 05:01 PM

What is wrong with a 2 gallon jug on the back of the seat or rack?

$150 for a one gallon bladder is no better than strapping cheap jugs to your torso.
TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2016 at 05:27 PM

On long rides I carry an antifreeze jug in an ammo pouch (bought on the web, perfect fit for jug) with a belt. It lays flat against you and has minimal bounce or flopping around.
TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2016 at 05:30 PM

On long rides I carry an antifreeze jug in an ammo pouch (bought on the web, perfect fit for jug) with a belt. It lays flat against you and has minimal bounce or flopping around.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 12-19-2016 at 06:18 PM

You can say that again ....:biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
ljprusko
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2016 at 03:49 AM

Screw that, I'd never pay over $100 for a disposable gas container. I've used this one itzagascan.com to carry fuel for my bike in Baja and it costs only $10 for one or $50 for 5. Lightweight, portable, does the job, fraction of the price.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2016 at 08:04 AM

i sometimes fill up 1 or 2 two liter coke bottles when i need some extra range. they are available everywhere, free, and disposable. a little awkward to carry, but only necessary until the fuel tank has enough room.
like we used to say in aviation..."the only time you have too much fuel , is when you are on fire."

[Edited on 12-20-2016 by pacificobob]
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2016 at 10:09 PM

2 - 32 oz Gatorade bottles in my backpack. they are tough...and free! with the 4.2 gal IMS tank it sends the Honda over 150 miles.
Australian Mick

[*] posted on 12-21-2016 at 09:49 AM

I second the antifreeze gallon jug. They are built very robustly, readily available and have the handle to run a strap through. I currently ride a 650r with the 4.6 gallon tank. Conservatively it will get me 150 miles in Baja about 30 ish mpg. By topping of asap with the 1 gallon jug on remote rides this gets me into the 180 mile range. Correct me if I am wrong but you would be hard pressed on any trail above GN to go 180 miles without bumping into a gas stop.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2016 at 01:54 PM

If you start in LA Bay and don't stop in San Francisquito and run the No Wimp Trail it is approx. 185 miles to San Ignacio.

If running in reverse you may not find gas at El Barril or San Francisquito or Rancho Escondido now you got 70 miles to LA Bay. There is Piedra Blanca 15-20 miles toward El Arco that might have gas.

I've been down there when none of the places had gas or at least they said they didn't. For a motorcycle they might make an exception.
BajaBreak
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2016 at 12:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
I use an MSR water bladder to carry extra gas, not what it was designed for but it works. I'm sure this is a safe,r better product for safely lugging gas around on your bike. GL makes good gear so I'm sure this will be the same quality.

I bought an MSR Dromedary Bag for temporarily carrying extra gas, although I have not used it for that yet. Makes a nice camp shower. I came across some folks who tested it out with gas while researching their durability, and it sounds like it is very similar to the giant loop gas bag, although possibly not as durable, and it doesn't have all the mounting loops. I'm sure it would suffice, and they are 1/4 the price.
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2016 at 02:25 PM

I have always used an empty water bottle bungied above the front fender. It's nice, because you can dispose of it (properly of course) after you dump the gas in your tank. I do have an MSR dromedary (made for water). It works ok, but stinks like gas for a year after use :(
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 12-26-2016 at 06:43 PM

Bags and cheap bottles with thin walls might work for you.
But I've worked in a Burn Unit and I'll stick with my Rotopax or Kolpin.
Sometimes the cheapest solution is not the optimal solution.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.