Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Two Amigos Tackle The No Wimp Trail
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2016 at 03:10 PM
Two Amigos Tackle The No Wimp Trail

GE Image of Trail Top Half

Bottom Half

Roy (The Square Circle) and I enter Baja at Tecate on Friday morning Dec. 9 and go east on Hwy 2 to the Santa Veronica turn off. There used to be a sign for Santa Veronica but it was not there. We stopped in to check their beverage quality and with a passing grade we moved on down the El Compadre trail stopping from time to time to take a picture or discuss something along the way. Past the Indian Village at La Huerta we continue to Hwy 3 at KM55. It�s Hwy 3 to Hwy 5 and into San Felipe and the El Capitan hotel. We had a great Filet Mignon for dinner at El Ninos and then to bed.

Along the El Compadre Trail

Saturday morning and we�re on the Hwy south stopping to say hi to a friend then pushing on to Gonzaga Bay for lunch at Alfonsina's and then into Cocos. We have some Christmas presents for him and visit for a while then it�s out to Hwy 1 and south to the LA Bay turnoff and on to LA Bay. Gas and ice and we continue to the Las Animas turn off and find a camp site for the night. During this trip the days are warm and sunny and the nights are on the cold side. Every night we camped we had a nice warm fire using a combo of fire logs and local wood laying around.

Sunday morning we�re off to Pancho�s. A note here on the spelling of his name. I asked him how it is spelled and he says with an a as in Pancho. I�ve seen people spell it with an o but that is not correct per him. We also brought him some Christmas presents. Soon we�re on the road again to El Barril.

Sunrise

Camp

Road damage from two years ago

South of El Barril is a mine called La Sirena which Roy wanted to see. Roy remembers it with a large opening that a car could drive in. We follow the trail showed on Google Earth (kind of narrow) back to a place to park and Roy walks up the remains of a road to the mine. He says it had the same view toward the ocean but the mine drops down at the entrance instead of going back flat. He is not sure it is the same mine.

We continue to Rancho La Ilusion where we find two vaqueros. We talk to them about the trail ahead but they did not know it�s condition as it gets close to the ocean. We move on to a Jct. with a bypass Nomad 4x4abc used last year to get around the old R. Santa Barbara/R. San Muguel Jct. Nomad rich t did the NWT several weeks ago, and I thought I had downloaded his GPS track into my GPS but I didn�t. I did have the Google Earth maps I made. My GPS has the original trail from before the hurricane damage. We travel a mile or two then stop for the night. The sky overhead is full of stars. After eating my Denny Moore beef stew, I take the can over to the arroyo and set it down. It still had some stew in it. I was hoping the coyotes would eat some if they came around.

Camp

Monday morning with a warm fire and hot coffee to get the blood circulating it appeared to be another great day in Baja. Checking my beef stew can there was no tracks and the stew had not been touched, no coyotes that night. We pack up and move on. We stop at the Shrine for pictures.

Shrine

Next up is Rancho San Miguel. The building is still standing in what appears to be good shape. The rock corrals are also in good shape. The negative side is all the stuff laying all over the place near the building. Lots of junk, a real eye sore. While walking around we spot a tent on the other side of the corral. We called out but no answer. As we get near the tent there are bicycle tracks but no bicycle or people. It appears there is only one rider but he or she is nowhere to be seen. I cannot imagine someone riding a bicycle down there whether solo or in a group. You are in the middle of nowhere. But I guess people do it.

Ranch house

Corral

Tent

We move on following tracks from the jeeps that rich t was with plus some motorcycle tracks and another vehicle that appears to be fresh. Soon we lose the jeep and MC tracks. I think this is where Rich had to turn around. We turn around and start looking for tracks leaving the arroyo and soon find them. Before long we are near the ocean. We come to a small arroyo where the old road crossed but it is blocked with somewhat large rocks. We see a bypass the others used. It goes down onto the rocky beach across the arroyo and up the other side and back to the road. The only problem is the rocks are loose and it is not an easy go. Roy went first and made it. As I start to climb up I�m having trouble so I stop to back up and my gear shifter won�t go forward to reverse. I pull it back then push it forward, now it won�t go past 2nd. I get out and there is a log jammed between my skid plate and tranny. I pull it out and now I can shift, soon I�m up and out.

Roy going down

Before I would take the beach route again I would attempt to clear the rocks in the arroyo. The beach rocks were the size of softballs and loose making driving on them very difficult. Perhaps less air in tires would help.

Down the trail, we go stopping at Los Corrales at the rock corral. We pass the 28th parallel and spot a couple of fishing boats in the distance. Somewhere along here a couple of years ago, someone had put up a rope gate with a tin cup for toll money. At the time, we left a few coins and moved on. Maybe it was the bike rider. We find a camp site up an arroyo for the night.

Los Corrales

Down the beach

Tuesday, we climb up and out of the arroyo onto a small mesa. There is a palapa on a hill with some wire and post. Someone is building a fence. The trail goes west away from the ocean a mile or two then south and finally back east to the ocean.

The morning sky

What is left of the Palapa

Wire and post

Soon we are at the salt flats, some say quick sand. Around it to the west and on the south side is a pickup truck and a camp setup. We did not circle around to it but kept going toward Trinidad. We turn inland at Trinidad following the tracks in the arroyo. Lots of small rocks make it difficult to see any tracks and at times we walk ahead to find them. Before long we are out of the arroyo at El Gato. A large rock corral on the east side of the road and a smaller rock corral on the west side. The east side corral had a large plastic water tank in the northwest corner that was not there before.

Salt Flats

The camp is in the center

El Gato

It�s down the dirt road as it gets dark. Suddenly I�m looking at several large buildings with a chain link fence. I don�t remember ever seeing it but Santa Marta comes to mind. I had not been there before. We had missed the Jct. So, it�s back to the Jct. and on to Hwy 1 and San Ignacio. In San Ignacio, we get rooms at the La Huerta hotel and clean up. It�s over to Rice and Beans for dinner. They only had hamburgers which were not that good. The fries were good and the margaritas even better.

Wednesday it�s breakfast in town then off to BajaBlancas in La Bocana. Arriving at their home Blanca was in town shopping and Les invited us to have lunch. At first, we said no but Les insisted so we ate and it was delicious. Soon Blanca arrived and she gave us some of her chocolate cake. A meal fit for a King. After leaving a suitcase full of stuff Blancas mom gave me we were off to Bahia Asuncion to see Shari and Juan and find Motoged. We pull into the La Bufadora Inn and there is Shari and Juan. We talk for a while with Roy showing some tricks with a fly. Shari, Roy and I head over to the house where Motoged is staying. He already has the margarita prepared and soon we are around the table sipping his delight.

Blanca with the two amigos

The La Bufadora Inn at the top

Shari with Roy and GED

The day is wearing on and we must leave and head north. At Vizcaino we gas up and move north. Soon we are in fog and about 25mph is it. It clears a little at Guerrero Negro but gets thicker as we go north until near Jesus Maria where it clears up. It�s smooth sailing all the way to Cocos where we stop for the night.

Thursday morning, we have coffee and cookies with Coco then it is off to Gonzaga Bay to air up at Rancho Grande. We continue to San Felipe for gas then Mexicali and the east border. In less than an hour we cross and it�s homeward bound. We left Cocos at 7:30am and I got home at 10:30pm a long day for sure and one I do not want to do again.

Roy did not have any problems on the NWT with his Land Rover.

All in all, it was a great trip, fun and certainly interesting.

[Edited on 12-28-2016 by TMW]

[Edited on 2-23-2023 by BajaNomad]
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-24-2016 at 03:25 PM

you two are definitely NOT wimps...great to see some photos of your trip...and was super cool hearing about it in person.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-24-2016 at 03:43 PM

Great trip report, Tom.
Looks like you and Roy had a super time and especially that Winston didn't break down this time!
Thank you and Merry Christmas!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2016 at 03:47 PM

Tom, Good story
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2016 at 04:08 PM

Awesome! I did not know you could do that route in a truck. Thanks for sharing!
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2016 at 04:11 PM

YAY!! Great report especially for us couch lizards!! Thanks!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2016 at 04:14 PM

Thanks everyone, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2016 at 05:22 PM

Merry Christmas to you and Roy! Amazing trip you took!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2016 at 08:33 AM

Great times Tom! Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas.

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 12-25-2016 at 08:45 AM

Merri Christmas and you tril looks fun!

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 12-25-2016 at 09:15 AM

Great report, I'm envious!
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-25-2016 at 09:37 AM

Thanks for the ride ... :):)
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2017 at 08:04 AM

Saw your tracks ... no others, had some rain, we just came thru with 4 dirtbikes ... worse part was El Gato wash ...runined for years!

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2023 at 06:54 AM

A great report from 2016... The 'No Wimps Trail' with TMW and The squarecircle.

[The little black diamonds replaced special characters like the ' in: it's, I'm, don't. Doug's system does that for some reason after he updates the Nomad pages. In edit, they can be replaced with what was there before, as well.]

Thanks to Doug for resizing!

[Edited on 2-23-2023 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 2-23-2023 at 01:48 PM

weird that they did not visit Casona San Miguel
and the elaborate water canals

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2023 at 02:29 PM

They have, as this was not their first time there. Search Nomad may be revealing? TW may chime in, too?

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2023 at 02:03 AM

So cool to relive this! You were not wimps FOR SURE!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.