BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Gonzaga Bay Camping
Tucsonduner

[*] posted on 12-26-2016 at 09:32 AM
Gonzaga Bay Camping

We are planning a trip to the area this spring for some fishing and off roading. I am towing a fifth wheel trailer and would like a recommendation for a camping area on the beach. I have a UTV and a boat dolly to launch our small boat.

I could not locate much information regarding the availability of fresh water and any type of RV dump area.

Would like to hear from anyone that has camped with an RV in this area.

We normally go farther south to Loreto and Los Barriles but this is going to be a shorter trip to check out Hwy 5.

Thanks

ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 12-26-2016 at 10:02 AM

We stayed at Camp Beluga in nov. and had a great time there . Really nice family and very clean with showers , bathrooms .

just south of the Pemex alittle bit.

:bounce:
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2016 at 10:05 AM

I've not seen any water hookup for an RV nor RV dump in the area.
dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

Mood: rather be on the beach at Gonzaga

[*] posted on 12-27-2016 at 11:04 AM

Been camping there since 07...RV camping is DRY camping ...there are no hookups....ZERO....
there are decent, refurbished palapas with side walls and concrete floors.
There is a very well stocked market at Rancho Grande. They also have fabulous, large, HOT showers .
Alfonsinas has a nice restaurant.
There is also Papa Fernandez, Campo Beluga, Campo Sacrificio and Punta Final.
the Rancho Grande beach is close to everything and has SAND no rocks

The only downside (as of Oct 16)...the outhouses are a wreck! They are usable as a dump station, but might be a little bit uphill to the "seat" depending on your rig..

We'll be back down in the Spring...counting down the days
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2016 at 02:09 PM

It'll be difficult to pull a large trailer over the hill into the Papa Fernandez camping area on the outer beach.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2016 at 02:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dizzyspots  
Been camping there since 07...RV camping is DRY camping ...there are no hookups....ZERO....
there are decent, refurbished palapas with side walls and concrete floors.
There is a very well stocked market at Rancho Grande. They also have fabulous, large, HOT showers .
Alfonsinas has a nice restaurant.
There is also Papa Fernandez, Campo Beluga, Campo Sacrificio and Punta Final.
the Rancho Grande beach is close to everything and has SAND no rocks

The only downside (as of Oct 16)...the outhouses are a wreck! They are usable as a dump station, but might be a little bit uphill to the "seat" depending on your rig..

We'll be back down in the Spring...counting down the days

Never use an outhouse as an RV dump! One of the lamest ideas I've seen.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-27-2016 at 03:54 PM

And dont be that guy who drives down the road while his tanks are draining like they are starting to do in the surf zone!

dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2016 at 12:50 PM

OK...I am a rookie at camping with a black tank....was always tent camping before that...what is the issue with the outhouse?
Tucsonduner

[*] posted on 12-30-2016 at 11:05 AM

Thank you for the information. We usually use the bathrooms/showers at the campgrounds when not hooked up. Is there fresh water available near by? I just wanted to drain tanks before heading north thru the vados. Looks like it will be Camp Beluga.

Has anyone had issues with items being stolen from camp? We have never had issues elsewhere but we are not familiar with the Gonzaga area in general.

Thanks again
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2016 at 11:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Tucsonduner  
Thank you for the information. We usually use the bathrooms/showers at the campgrounds when not hooked up. Is there fresh water available near by? I just wanted to drain tanks before heading north thru the vados. Looks like it will be Camp Beluga.

Has anyone had issues with items being stolen from camp? We have never had issues elsewhere but we are not familiar with the Gonzaga area in general.

Thanks again

cars, trucks,boats, airplanes....you know, the usual stuff! ;)
if you love it lock it
carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 12-30-2016 at 11:44 AM

We stayed at El Sacrificio last spring: tent camped under one of the two big Palapas next to the small cabins they also rent, very clean flush toilets with cold shower for the campers, lots of parking next to the palapa for your RV, good food at restaurant, they sell beer, ice, sodas and snacks as well. I think they have a dump station and certainly fresh water.

Cabins in foregrond

P1010109.JPG - 87kB

Restaurant in foreground, has a pool table....

P1010111.JPG - 81kB P1010122.JPG - 77kB P1010201.JPG - 62kB P1010203.JPG - 69kB P1010204.JPG - 67kB P1010208.JPG - 70kB

Campsite

P1010209.JPG - 76kB

...to continue...

[Edited on 12-30-2016 by carlosg]

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2016 at 11:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by dizzyspots  
OK...I am a rookie at camping with a black tank....was always tent camping before that...what is the issue with the outhouse?

Outhouses are just a hole in the ground with a toilet seat. If you fill the hole it will need to be pumped or left alone for a time to slowly seep into the ground.
dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2016 at 12:04 PM

I really didnt think of that...makes perfect sense...last time I do that! OOOPS!
So...are there any real dump stations anywhere in Baja Norte?
carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 12-30-2016 at 12:20 PM

In El Sacrificio launch with the help of a huge tractor (10-15 bucks to launch and retrieve, its all up to your "negotiation" skills... probably even cheaper), that's Luis driving...

20160401_184936.jpg - 107kB

no Sandy beach (neither at Beluga). Luis runs the place for his brother (the owner). Luis has his temper but if you get on his good side he'll go out of his way to be helpful, he was wonderful with my family and me and he runs a really clean camp with all the services. Contact him thru rural sat phone: (01152) 555-150-1167 (dial 01152 ONLY if calling from US) don't know if he or the lady at the restaurant speak English (that's where the phone is). This camp is about 2-3 miles further south from Beluga...

Entrance to Campo Beluga, as soon as you enter it will get really tricky to maneuver the RV on the sand, and getting near to the beach will probably be close to impossible (my thoughts... maybe DK...or someone else has more experience?)

20160402_161811.jpg - 108kB

20160402_161958.jpg - 107kB

20160402_161953.jpg - 107kB

Palapas in Beluga

20160402_162219.jpg - 134kB

To left small cabins with sleeping on second floor

20160402_162225.jpg - 117kB

Center in pic is David Diaz owner of Campo Beluga, he speaks great English, US military retired (USAF?) and a great host, he's got really good stories to tell and is a great talker, he knows the place in and out from a long time ago. Really nice person.

20160402_183956.jpg - 122kB

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
Enrique2012
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2016 at 03:18 PM

My last time at Campo Beluga was in 2011. At that time it was ran by a guy named Rito. Anyone know what happened to him?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-30-2016 at 05:17 PM

Looks like an awesome place!

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2016 at 05:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Enrique2012  
My last time at Campo Beluga was in 2011. At that time it was ran by a guy named Rito. Anyone know what happened to him?

seems many have done a tour at beluga, im surprised to hear of new owners, what the heck happened to rafael and his hot esposa?
NoBu22

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 08:43 PM

seems like a nice spot
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-30-2017 at 09:45 PM
Campo Beluga Km. 149+ and Playa Grande Km. 147: Photos

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Playa Grande Km. 147

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.