BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: tire electric pump recommendation (Shell beach tire deflation)
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2017 at 06:00 PM

I have a Viair 400P, portable, 33% duty cycle.
Also a Viair 350C Continuous (100%) duty cycle, mounted inside a "fat 50" ammo can for portability.
Great units. If you must rely on your compressed air system, it dosen't pay to go cheap.

With regard to "Shell Island", I'm assuming that you plan to drive down the sand spit and have 4x4?
If you have a light SUV/Jeep? light truck with oversize tires, then you might get by with 16 psi in your tires on the sand. If you are returning to San Felipe, I don't see any problem with driving the few miles on pavement at that pressure. I'd just air up at the PEMEX in SF. Limit speed to 45 mph.
If you bog down in the sand at the higher (16 psi) pressure, then try 12-14 psi. If that doesn't do the job, then there is something wrong, and you should leave. 10 psi is your "insurance" for getting unstuck and getting out of there.
I've driven a few miles of pavement on 10-12 psi, 35-40 mph.

A wise rule of thumb on the Gulf is, "Always remain above the high tide line." I've extracted so many vehicles in SF area that I never have to buy my own beer!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-20-2017 at 06:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  
Also a Viair 350C Continuous (100%) duty cycle, mounted inside a "fat 50" ammo can for portability.
Great units. If you must rely on your compressed air system, it dosen't pay to go cheap.

With regard to "Shell Island", I'm assuming that you plan to drive down the sand spit and have 4x4?
If you have a light SUV/Jeep? light truck with oversize tires, then you might get by with 16 psi in your tires on the sand. If you are returning to San Felipe, I don't see any problem with driving the few miles on pavement at that pressure. I'd just air up at the PEMEX in SF. Limit speed to 45 mph.
If you bog down in the sand at the higher (16 psi) pressure, then try 12-14 psi. If that doesn't do the job, then there is something wrong, and you should leave. 10 psi is your "insurance" for getting unstuck and getting out of there.

A wise rule of thumb on the Gulf is, "Always remain above the high tide line." I've extracted so many vehicles in SF area that I never have to buy my own beer!

Good advice!

The air pressure can change between tires and between weather conditions, or moisture in the sand.

The deflating is for the dry, deep stuff one must cross to get to the damp stuff covered at high tide. I agree to not stop and turn off the engine (for shell hunting, etc.) unless you return to the dry sand, and then point your vehicle downhill so there is no big resistance to begin rolling.

My All Terrain tires (or even street tires) work far better in sand (at 15-20 psi) than do 'deep tread' off road, mud terrain, or 3 ply sidewall tires. They work well only at or below 10 psi.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

kevin_in_idaho
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2017 at 06:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  

Thanks. I'm not sure where we'll camp at Shell Island as I'm not sure I want to risk anything but yes, we have 4x4. I'll stay up from the high water mark! If anyone has a suggestion on where to camp out there that's easily accessible, I'd be interested in hearing about it. From what I can tell, you can camp on the west side and walk over to the other side. We're coming down from SF so doubt we'd go back that way.

Kevin
healthdetective
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2017 at 01:06 PM

Another vote for Viair. I use this model. Viair 90P

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MXL71A/ref=oh_aui_deta...

Inexpensive but not cheaply made

“The average man does not want to be free. He simply wants to be safe.” — Mencken
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2017 at 06:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by healthdetective  
Another vote for Viair. I use this model. Viair 90P

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MXL71A/ref=oh_aui_deta...

Inexpensive but not cheaply made

That looks good! A better air chuck, for sure. The MV-50 screws onto the stem so it is not quick to remove. Have you timed how long to add X pounds of air?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

healthdetective
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2017 at 07:09 PM

David,

I have never done a very accurate measurement. I bring up 4 - 245/65/17 tires from 25 lbs to 36 lbs and 2 - 13 inch trailer tires from 25 to 50 lbs in under 8 minutes total.

“The average man does not want to be free. He simply wants to be safe.” — Mencken
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2017 at 08:24 PM

Thanks, I am guessing 8 psi per minute?? 25% faster than the MV-50 maybe? If you remember to next time, clock the time to fill one tire and how many pounds 11 or ?.
Thanks for the research assistance!

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-22-2017 at 11:02 PM

I have had a QuickAir II for about 15 years, and it is fast and I like it fine. It ain't cheap, tho----------you get what you pay for, I have always believed.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.