Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How secure are overhead garage doors
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2017 at 11:19 PM
How secure are overhead garage doors

For those with experience, wondering if overhead garage doors with openers can be made secure to use in baja? And if you can use an automatic opener?

[Edited on 1-26-2017 by gnukid]
healthdetective
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2017 at 06:21 AM

Really depends on the thickness of the doors and the tracks. I use quick clamps like these:
https://www.amazon.com/4-Piece-Speed-Pistol-Ratchet-Action/d...
I put one on each track just above a roller so they can't lift the door. Motivated thieves can kick in a flimsy (most) doors and knock them off track however. If you have another way out of garage you can stack heavy things by the base of door to slow down the kicking type thief. Hope this helps.

“The average man does not want to be free. He simply wants to be safe.” — Mencken
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2017 at 07:58 AM

A padlock in the track for a sectional door works good
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-26-2017 at 09:32 AM
How determined is the theif?

One of my CA neighbors shop was recently broken into. The thief kicked in a side door, then used his Kubota tractor to break out of the shop, which had a commercial/industrial roll up type door!

The tractor was recovered, and the guy is in jail now, but there was thousands of dollars of damage!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2017 at 09:45 AM

"Secure"......in what respect?
I have one on my garage and it works well, but I wouldn't want to test it with a junkie and a crowbar.
I have however given thought to someone cloning an opener, but I don't lose any sleep over it.

[Edited on 1-26-2017 by DENNIS]

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-26-2017 at 12:58 PM

Consider a roll up security door
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2017 at 08:58 PM

Cool thanks for the input I will give heavy duty roll up a look, I see variation in thickness and insulation quality, with ability to lock with padlock or pin in the rail.

I have gates now, the same ones for 15 years which seem to work but thieves are often trying to break in and sometimes do. I like the idea of improved insulation, reduced visibility into the space and ease of opening, perhaps automated without blocking the entrance space with gates.

As an update to the crime issue in bcs, I have recently added a security system with door sensors and vibration to set off series of events like lights and sound and potentially alarm and control by phone to be able to get messages both text and email and set or reset alarms, sound off or cause reporting events, and also have three cameras that motion detect, two way audio and capture and send email and I can also live stream as needed. Using this system I capture any attempt to break in right away. It ignores birds and cats and dogs, can recognize to ignore people faces like me or identify license plates, strange people and other recognizable images and send the report to me or the police or private security monitoring or neighbor when away. I have busted people messing with the locks which has changed the situation dramatically like bad guys don't want to go anyone near the block now and it's eerily quiet again.

Automatic doors will make it easier to come in and go as opposed to park and open the gate and drive in and close it which can take time and block the street.

It's true drug addicts are crazy and sick people that will break into and destroy anything and everything so they need consequences to discourage them and it helps to have evidence of attempts to break in and the ability to include it in reports to identify them, arrest and prosecute them right away, to be rehabilitated in mexico's social support system... of course that is part of the problem most everyone caught is set free within a few hours and never brought to justice.

[Edited on 1-27-2017 by gnukid]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2017 at 09:47 PM

home security doesn't stop at the border, folks will tell you dogs, attack cats, live in security, voodoo dolls will protect you....you are correct, electronic deterrence is your best option, its sad but true ;)
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2017 at 09:56 PM

In mexico you need a picture of the person in the act of breaking in and two witnesses to get any response, that usually means they have tools and are hacking away in the photo and are in progress, even still the police will only chase an in progress crime. If you report after it could take years to proceed with any action like orden de cateo to capture the perp and likely won't happen since they won't cross the threshold of the home of the criminal.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2017 at 10:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
In mexico you need a picture of the person in the act of breaking in and two witnesses to get any response, that usually means they have tools and are hacking away in the photo and are in progress, even still the police will only chase an in progress crime. If you report after it could take years to proceed with any action like orden de cateo to capture the perp and likely won't happen since they won't cross the threshold of the home of the criminal.

it doesn't matter, you're not gonna get your chit back, all you're gonna do is make enemy's, what you need to do is chase em off BEFORE they grab your stuff....right?

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2017 at 10:33 PM

yep, recently I have caught the guys coming every 15 minutes like idiot drug addicts and I can set off tons of lights and chirps or alarm at the moment they touch the handle. Now the door handle is like kryptonite to the perps and they go around the block to avoid the house and I never said a word or identified myself.

FYI I like Fortress Security system and smart things hub is fun to play with. You can also connect the car to the system.

https://www.fortresssecuritystore.com

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 10-16-2017 at 04:21 AM

Just put up a sign: "No Stealing" (PLEASE)
That will do about as much good as all the rest of this stuff..

There ya go....

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.