BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Best route south of La Paz
farkle1

[*] posted on 1-26-2017 at 09:42 AM
Best route south of La Paz

Hi all, looking for advise as to best road to take. Will be riding a large touring bike, two up, down to Cabo area from here on Vancouver Island next week. Once I get south of La Paz seems I have option of either Hwy 19 or staying on #1.
Anybody know which would be a better road surface? Love corners and tight twisty roads, that's not the problem, general condition of the surface is the concern.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-26-2017 at 09:51 AM

Take both....ride the south cape as a loop:
La Paz to Los Barriles through El Triunfo, San Antonio, and San Bartolo....down to San Jose del Cabo....over to Cabo San Lucas, up through Todos Santos back to La Paz....and spend a week doing that loop.

There will be some dirt detours along the way south from the US border ....so be aware of that.....maybe the worst being just north of La Paz.

Have a good ride.

Don't believe everything you think....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-26-2017 at 09:57 AM

You will love the East side, but I can not imagine riding that far without doing a loop around both sides! Aside from some of the construction detours north of La Paz, the road should be fine.

This season I did not get south of Los Barriles (you really should stop and check it out), so I hope someone will provide an update if there is current construction projects on the south end.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
farkle1

[*] posted on 1-26-2017 at 10:20 AM

Thanks! Yes, we will be staying just outside San Jose del Cabo for six days and will be doing day rides from there.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-26-2017 at 10:27 AM

Where are my manners, I forgot to welcome you to the forum!

Have a great trip, and be sure to share information if you find something of interest, or amusement.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
brucedog
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2017 at 10:40 AM

There is no construction and the road is god between Los Barriles and the airport in San Jose
BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2017 at 11:07 AM

My 2 pesos is take the 19. Wide 4 lane with new paving and a nice ride along the Pacific coast. The 1 from La Paz (well, south of LP) to Los Barriles is a very steep (up and down) twisty, narrow mountain road that has a lot of traffic. It's sketchy enough in a car when trucks and buses eat up most of your lane in the twistys but on a tandem bike with no run off it would have me sweaty.

It is a beautiful trip visually through San Bartolo and El Triunfo. Maybe do it from the south as a day trip after you have landed in the Cabo area.

Andy
farkle1

[*] posted on 1-26-2017 at 11:51 AM

Thanks Andy... we will be riding both. Actually not a pedal tandem, two up on our large motorcycle. Live for the twisties and narrow roads!
I have ridden/driven through other areas of Mexico and am familiar with the mountain roads and drivers lol... My only concern is condition of pavement. Understood that it's Mexico, expecting potholes and rounding a corner to find there's no more road...
BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2017 at 01:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by farkle1  
Thanks Andy... we will be riding both. Actually not a pedal tandem, two up on our large motorcycle. Live for the twisties and narrow roads!
I have ridden/driven through other areas of Mexico and am familiar with the mountain roads and drivers lol... My only concern is condition of pavement. Understood that it's Mexico, expecting potholes and rounding a corner to find there's no more road...

Sorry, I completely misunderstood the mode of transport. The pavement on 1 is in really nice shape - I last drove it in October 16. Gorgeous drive through the hills. Just be aware that our East Cape cows and goats make a sport of jumping out in front of moving vehicles.

I have always fantasied about driving a small, great handling sports car on that road but I'm always stuck with my big Ford pick up or lifted Jeep.

Have fun

Andy
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-26-2017 at 02:39 PM

Do a loop using both! The 19 is the shorter, faster route to Cabo San Lucas and the 1 is the more interesting and see the many old towns along the way. San José del Cabo is about the same distance from La Paz using either route, I think.

Visit El Triunfo, San Antonio, San Bartolo, Santiago, Miraflores, and others on your day trips or run to/ from La Paz

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2017 at 03:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by farkle1  

And cows.......

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.