Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bringing a cat to Baja and back
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 04:49 PM
Bringing a cat to Baja and back

Besides the vet cert is there anything else required? Has anyone ever been asked for the cert? Our cat is old and needs meds twice a day so we either bring him or stay home.

We've been getting him pshyched on fish tacos and sand crabs and he'ms ready to roll!

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 05:09 PM

You and kitty will be fine. Just make sure she keeps her claws out of the inspectors face.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 05:31 PM

We travel with our cat back and forth. No problems, no vet certificate, just rabies certificate.

Went through the x-ray once an San Ysidro/Chaparral. had to put her in her carrier and take her out of the truck
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 05:50 PM

Use Pyronate A-200 for the sand crabs.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

bigboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 05:57 PM

We travel to Mexico with our cat about twenty times a year! She has been to Mexico about 200 times and never has been asked for her passport!!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 06:46 PM

He walks on a leash with us so he's chill. I know he's coyote bait so we'll keep him close. Glad to have some first hand reports. We have a carrier but he rides commando in the truck!

[Edited on 2-4-2017 by woody with a view]

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 07:33 PM

If I fed my cat a sand crab, I`d be in BIG trouble!!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 07:40 PM

I wouldn't feed him sand crabs. He's going to freak out when he sees one, and a clam, and a live Corbina, and.........

BeemerDan
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 08:21 PM

How bout a dog with diabetes?
Wife and I are headed to Baja 1st of March till 16th or so and of course have all paperwork, but the dog is insulin dependent, Meaning lots of syringes/vials. I've only ever rode down alone via bikes, and the wife and dog are noobs to Baja.

Will be in our Silverado with a Palomino popup slidin via Mex5 thru Mexicali.
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2017 at 06:25 AM

We've traveled with our cat, and other than one occasion, have never been asked for documentation. When we first adopted it, we were heading North through Tecate and the guy decided we couldn't take it across, so we went to Otay and crossed with no problems. Other than that, we've crossed many times without issue. We do keep the vaccination papers ready though.

Do keep it in a cage when traveling or you will risk getting pulled over in some of the cities/towns.
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2017 at 07:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BeemerDan  
How bout a dog with diabetes?

Wife and I are headed to Baja 1st of March till 16th or so and of course have all paperwork, but the dog is insulin dependent, Meaning lots of syringes/vials. I've only ever rode down alone via bikes, and the wife and dog are noobs to Baja.

Will be in our Silverado with a Palomino popup slidin via Mex5 thru Mexicali.

We have an insulin dependent diabetic dog and spend six to eight months in Baja with the dog every year.

Borders - Crossing the borders (both ways) are a non-issue. Once or twice we have been asked about rabies vaccinations but never about a health certificate. The insulin syringes are also a non-issue.

Army checkpoints - The syringes and insulin vials are never given a second glance. Once, a soldier picked up a package of 25 syringes and turned to me and asked, "diabetico?". I answered, "yes", and we were on our way. They all seem to know what they are looking at.

Now, finding insulin in the pharmacies to replace our US supplies IS a hassle. And this is in La Paz!

You usually wind up trying three or four pharmacies before being successful. No prescription required but it never seems to be in stock and is difficult to find. And NEVER mention that it is for your dog.

Finding syringes and test strips is not a problem.

Always keep a second vial of insulin on hand. Tile floors and glass insulin vials are not a good combination. We dropped one once and then spent the rest of the day trying to find a replacement at numerous pharmacies before the evening dose was due.

The same cautions apply for human diabetics. It is not an issue. Just have enough supplies on hand at all times.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2017 at 08:00 AM

Woody, take him to one of the Animal Safari Parks in the states (or Disney World). Be safer and easier and he'll be a happy cat.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2017 at 09:02 AM

Maybe a dolphinarium!

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2017 at 03:19 PM

Looks like a rabies booster is in order.

fandango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2017 at 07:13 PM

Woody; if you have an objection to getting the rabies shot for your cat, the US rules for cats 🐱 don't say they need it. I copied that and carried it with me.
I travelled with kitty in a large carrier, which was secured to the seat with a cargo strap and she travelled in her halter.
Have fun.

sbwontoo
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2017 at 08:26 AM

Took our cats to Baja every trip to our place with no issues.

oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 10:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BigWooo  
We've traveled with our cat, and other than one occasion, have never been asked for documentation. When we first adopted it, we were heading North through Tecate and the guy decided we couldn't take it across, so we went to Otay and crossed with no problems. Other than that, we've crossed many times without issue. We do keep the vaccination papers ready though.

This incident at Tecate was partially my fault- we always go to 2° due to a trailer/camper and before inspecting us the guy asked "any dogs?". La Boca Grande here had to say "oh no, only 2 kittens". Unfortunately the guy was a trainee and when he asked his Super if kittens were a problem he said we had to go thru Otay in case they needed to be quarantined. As BigWooo said, Otay just rolled his eyes and waved us thru.

Ever since, when they ask "any dogs?", we reply "No" and don't offer anything else. Sometimes they notice the cat carriers in the back seat but usually they don't, and rarely one will point and say "Cats?" and then proceed with the inspection.

We carried their vaccine history with us for many years but was never asked for it.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 10:46 AM

Sumo got his distemper and rabies boosters yesterday and a fancy note from the doctor. He's gonna flip when he walks on the beach!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.