Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Google Earth Satellite Imagery Update
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2017 at 02:49 PM
Google Earth Satellite Imagery Update

If you haven't looked at Baja on Google Earth in the last few days, it's worth a peek. The satellite imagery has been updated. WAY more detail.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2017 at 03:15 PM

Hummm ... yes. As a test, I looked at Highway 5 pavement progress and you can see pavement to 7.3 miles south of Gonzaga - this is where the sat images have not been updated.

freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2017 at 03:53 PM

Can tell by my new solar panels and a nieghbors house not started, in Gonzaga the imagery is about six to nine months old
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2017 at 04:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by freediverbrian  
Can tell by my new solar panels and a nieghbors house not started, in Gonzaga the imagery is about six to nine months old

Looks like the imagery date for Gonzaga Bay is April 29, 2016.

yumawill
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2017 at 06:02 PM

good roads bring bad people. maybe we should recycle some asphalt.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-4-2017 at 09:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by yumawill  
good roads bring bad people.

Actually, Trump arose from stupid voters. You can't blame the good roads.

[Edited on 2-5-2017 by mtgoat666]
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2017 at 09:40 PM

I noticed that for Google Earth in Baja Sur, it shows the old imagery untill you zoom way in, and then it shows really recent, high-detail images. It's interesting, because you can compare the old to new, so you can see recent development/changes.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2017 at 01:30 PM

Correct image is not very up to date. The image is 2/26/2005. Just updated my GE and the image is still the same date.
====== ==

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Hummm ... yes. As a test, I looked at Highway 5 pavement progress and you can see pavement to 7.3 miles south of Gonzaga - this is where the sat images have not been updated.

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2017 at 02:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Correct image is not very up to date. The image is 2/26/2005. Just updated my GE and the image is still the same date.
====== ==

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  

But there was no pavement 7 miles south of Gonzaga in 2005, right? Seems the date must be wrong or something?

imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2017 at 04:03 PM

If you're unsure your Google Earth app is up-to-date, then just go to Google Maps at https://www.google.com/maps , and click on the "Earth" button in the lower-left corner. This should display the latest/greatest. You'll want to zoom in all the way for the latest image. For Baja Sur, they're still showing an older image for the wide area view.

[Edited on 2-6-2017 by imlost]

[Edited on 2-6-2017 by imlost]
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2017 at 07:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by imlost  
I noticed that for Google Earth in Baja Sur, it shows the old imagery untill you zoom way in, and then it shows really recent, high-detail images. It's interesting, because you can compare the old to new, so you can see recent development/changes.

Same with Punta Bufeo above Gonzaga Bay, the buildings and area immediately surrounding them are recent. Offshore and inland are older images.

Interesting article about some of the new satellites coming online.

Planet

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2017 at 03:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DavidT  
Interesting article about some of the new satellites coming online.

Planet

More re Planet, Inc.:

"... a 50-trillion-pixel image of Earth, refreshed daily, is coming later this year."

"It will photograph every place on the entire planet every day. Every park, every rice paddy, every patch of pine and permafrost: all will be imaged anew, daily, at medium resolution."

WOW!!!

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/02/googl...

"I'm too young to be this old!"
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-10-2017 at 04:08 PM

Oh wow... can you imagine!
In 2005, the pavement wasn't even to Puertecitos! It was there from the 1990s, but so thin it dissolved by 2000, at least near Puertecitos.

They began the new, good highway south of Puertecitos in 2007 and averaged about 8 miles a year until just before 2014, when pavement progress halted 20 kms. south of the Gonzaga Pemex. Crews concentrated on tearing down the mountain range and passing through the beautiful granite boulders of Las Arrastras, where the new highway was to go. Just last month, they were still using dynamite to blast the granite boulders only a couple miles south of the end of pavement.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.