Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Importing Aquarium Fishes
BajaCanuck

puzzled.gif posted on 2-5-2017 at 02:12 PM
Importing Aquarium Fishes

Hi guys,

Quick question: Does anyone know where I could find the official rules on crossing the border as a private individual, with ornamental fish(es), invertebrates, and corals that were purchased in the US? I'm researching the feasibility of continuing my reef aquarium hobby once we make the move.

Thanks!

[Edited on 2-5-2017 by BajaCanuck]
john68
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2017 at 06:26 PM

I can't answer your question, but I can tell you that Mexican customs is sensitive about exporting common aquarium fishes.

I caught some really beautiful sailfin mollys and platys in a brackish pond in Yucatan some years back and decided to take them back to the U.S. Mexican customs was concerned, but eventually let them go. I suppose they decided they were not a national treasure.

If you decide to try it, I would check the customs box indicating plants, animals, seeds, etc., and write coffee and cereal or something else innocuous you are bringing and it is likely to slide by.

If you're talking about a volume of fish, coral, etc., better check with Profepa and get a letter to show customs. If there's a chance of introducing a non-native species to local waters, there might be a problem. No problem with Japanese long-liners, but your lion fish is a different story.

If you can find a Mexican aquarist society, they might be able to help.

We have friends here in Los Barriles who have put together a really nice saltwater aquarium using only native specimens they have caught. If that is of interest, you might bring a mask and snorkel and a slurp gun.

A great hobby. Good luck.

John
BajaCanuck

[*] posted on 2-6-2017 at 08:27 PM

Thanks John!

I considered collecting my own, but apparently that's pretty illegal. I'm also more of a near/on the water kinda gal than IN the water. Yet, anyway.

I do hope to continue the hobby, but it would be a real "tease" for lack of a better word, to be literally RIGHT across the border from some excellent stores and clubs, yet unable to participate in coral swaps, or buy the tempting fish in the store.

The rules are much simpler (or at least more readily found) for bringing from US to Canada, but I know I can't assume it would be similar to take fish to Mexico.

Still hoping someone can chime in with the official stance and procedure.

ETA: I love the live bearers, and had a ton of fun with them before getting into cichlids and then eventually reef. :-)

[Edited on 2-7-2017 by BajaCanuck]
john68
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 06:22 PM

Well, legality can be kind of relative down here. I don't think anyone would get too worked up about your collecting some specimens from tide pools.

Our friends release everything when they head back in the spring, so it's more of a respite for the fish from the fish eat fish world out there.

If you want to be safe, google up some Mexican aquarist clubs and Profepa and ask them.

Good luck.
BajaCanuck

[*] posted on 2-8-2017 at 02:24 PM

That's so funny! That's the idea I had presented to my husband when we were contemplating seasonal living. Great minds think alike!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.