BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 2017 Baja Pole Line Run (Day 1 of 3) +photos!
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 01:17 PM
2017 Baja Pole Line Run (Day 1 of 3) +photos!

Saturday - February 18th

The week of the run was very rainy with a few firsthand accounts of dangerous conditions in the Laguna Salada. Several people who had planned on attending this run either contacted me that they were backing out, or didn't say anything and decided to stay at home. The group of 10+ drivers turned out to be 3 drivers as Leidys and I arrived at the Pep Boys on Imperial Blvd. Not phased, I met the nice people who decided to go on the scenic 4WD run with Leidys and I, handed them the David Kier published article on the Pole Line Run, and we made the challenging drive into Mexicali.

The entrance into Mexicali had been reduced to just one lane. Drivers had resorted to blocking out others by reducing their distance between cars within mere inches. With our CB radio contact, I was able to cut into traffic, and then hold following vehicles back, directing Bill (White Land Rover)and Akula/Karen (White JKUR) in front of me. David (4 Runner) was a few vehicles ahead of our group, but thanks to Google Maps, we all made our rendezvous on Baja California before turning left onto Colegio Militar. Huitzi (grey JKUR) sent text messages that he and Saturnino were already at our lunch stop - Asadero El Morlan, 11 miles away in Progreso, Mexicali. We arrived at about noon when a steady rain began to fall. What kind of run would this turn into? With rain falling and our route possibly under water, it looked 'iffy' that our run would materialize into something fun we had all expected. Regardless, each vehicle had shovels, additional gas cans, and were fully stocked, expecting adversity in the name of adventure.

[Edited on 2-22-2017 by Ken Cooke]

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 01:23 PM

Our modest group parked outside of the Pep Boys, 400 Imperial Blvd, Calexico.

Calexico gridlock

Our lunch stop at Asadero el Morlan created smiles and cured hunger pains for everyone!

(Left to right) Leidys, Akula (Daryl), and Zoe.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 01:32 PM

Once we left the great taco shop, our vehicles were gassed up and we prepped for the trail. Our group of four was now six vehicles. It was pointed out that my CB radio system was not functioning, so Saturnino provided me with a 2 meter radio for use on the trail. Our plan was to travel from Progreso to the Guadalupe Canyon turnoff at Hwy 2. From there, we would drive 48 miles to Cohabuzo Junction where Jack, Rich and Paul would be waiting for us.

The graded road to Guadalupe Canyon was very rough. Once I realized that the washboard only persisted, it made sense for some of the vehicles to air their tires down. We reached Cohabuzo Junction at 4:15 p.m. Just minutes after Rich, Jack and Paul decided to continue a short distance down the trail for more secluded camping. Our group stayed in the Cohabuzo arroyo - blocking our tents from the gentle, cold winds that crept up in the night. With the road from Hwy 5 and Saldana sticky with mud, we had no real concerns for a steady stream of drivers throughout the night.

Stopped on our way to Cohabuzo Junction, we saw this amazing rainbow.

[Edited on 2-22-2017 by Ken Cooke]

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 01:42 PM

Thanks Ken. Rain is never a good thing when heading into a mountain area, flash floods and all. But I'm excited to read your report and how the trail was.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 02:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Thanks Ken. Rain is never a good thing when heading into a mountain area, flash floods and all. But I'm excited to read your report and how the trail was.

I didn't want anyone to risk their well-being on this run. Saturnino told me that the local Police and Search and Rescue have been making regular patrols of the Laguna Salada, looking for stranded motorists. He told me that it takes about 2 weeks for the Laguna Salada to recover from just one day of rainfall!

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 02:23 PM

Looking forward to more trail pics!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 02:51 PM

Text
The skies wore omnious levels of moisture above our Jeeps.

Lowering the tire pressure allowed our vehicles to travel more smoothly.

Jack loves his Tacoma

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 04:58 PM

Bravo...
Part 2 is here: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=85832

Lowering the air pressure off the highway or off the dry lake is pretty much a serious must-do. Unless you drive is under 20 miles and refilling is a hassle... In 2015, we (all?) deflated once we were off the lakebed.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

6WHEELN

[*] posted on 2-23-2017 at 02:32 AM

Thanks Ken for organizing and leading the 2017 Pole Line Run! We had a fantastic time!

Here are a few pics from Day One:

[Edited on 2-23-2017 by 6WHEELN]
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2017 at 08:27 AM

I will let Ken continue with his narrative and I will tell you about the 3 of us from San Felipe.
Friday after studying the Rumoraso and Mexicai forecast off we went. Those forecasts were for 10% chance on Friday PM and 80% chance for 2 hours of light rain in the PM on Saturday. The result was a correct forecast.
First night on Friday was at Guadalupe Canyon under partly cloudy skies. Did the hike, but did not find the cascades and waterfall? Overnight I heard rain fall, but in the AM the tent was dry. (Back home in SF I had 0.35" in my seldom used rain gauge - big storm there).
Saturday as Ken mentioned we drove to Moro turnoff and started our camp. During the PM drive we had light rain and used the wipers. Lunch snacks while driving. Tents were half pitched and the sky opened and we got wet. The rain lasted about 20 minutes and then we dried the stuff with towels, ate supper and sat around the camp fire till bed time. All under the stars since the sky was clear. The next morning the sun got everything dry before Ken and group arrived.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2017 at 02:40 PM
Mexicali tour video

Our group turned right onto Zorro then onto Baja California - Where the host of this photo is standing.lol
What a coincidence to see this in high-definition!

[Edited on 2-23-2017 by Ken Cooke]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.