BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Yup. One extremely happy teacher!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 3-23-2017 at 03:51 PM
Yup. One extremely happy teacher!

All of you know I run a scholarship program. I started it in 2012 when I had high school English students who were bright yet came from extremely low income families. It is now 2017 and 5 or possibly 6 more will start this August if they pass their entrance exams, making for a total of 26 students being sponsored.

I mentor them as high school seniors for one year on what major they will choose, how to prepare for college and we study some English as well. I look for sponsors and off they go.

In my first group (2013), two went to Santa Rosalia and three to La Paz.

One of the original 5 from 2013 sent me a copy of his cumulative classes with respective grades that simply made my heart SWELL WITH PRIDE!

Here are Alexis and I in front of his university his first semester:

This is Alexis doing a class presentation - he is second one over from the right:

and this is the list of classes and grades! He is a senior and his GPA 91%. No one could be happier or ask for more than such a tremendous effort on his part:

But to make me even happier, yesterday, Olimpia, one of my college freshmen, wrote to say that she is the ONLY one in her law class to get a 90 on their first exam and since in Mexico, your class participation is a percentage of your grade, the extra 10% brought her grade up to 100%!

Here is Olimpia way back when she was my student in high school:

and here is the note her friend sent her informing her of her grade (she is in La Bocana for the week since she was in a car accident and broke her collarbone). Translated, it reads:

Friend Brenda = you got a 90 on your exam
and when your participation grade is included, you got 100
(smiley faces and hands clapping)

Olimpia = shocked faces and whoooohooooo

Friend Brenda= I swear

Olimpia = Did the professor tell you?

Brenda = in social law

Olimpia = Did he hand out the tests?

Brenda= Yes and he said you were the only one to get a 90 and he mentioned you by name.
Congratulations my friend.

I am overjoyed! Such a warm super fuzzy feeling in my heart! I hope I have instilled a passion so that these kids really step up to the plate and help their fellow students in a couple years so that I can step down. Passing it on is what our project is all about.

Some of you have asked how you can help out

Tuition averages $100 a semester and there are two semesters a year. Majors take a full 5 years to complete. For $200 a year, one kid goes to college.

rent averages $100/month but this year only 3 need rent paid. The other two have a place to stay with an aunt or uncle.

for food transportation internet = $100/month

deposits are made to wells fargo in the USA or to my Mexican banamex account.

Recently bajanomad John gave me beaucoup index cards and I started using them yesterday and today for verb practice. The kids tell me what verb they would like to learn and we write it down on the cards. Then they practice with each other in groups of two. Here you go John! Thanks so much!

[Edited on 6-18-2017 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-23-2017 at 03:55 PM

Just terrific Blanca!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 3-23-2017 at 04:05 PM

You are a good person Blanca!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2017 at 04:13 PM

Isn't it just amazing how well they are doing?! Obviously, some struggle more than others but yowza! These two make me so happy. and I told them so!

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 3-23-2017 at 04:37 PM

Blanca, check U2U.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2017 at 01:28 PM

nothing there danaeb!

Come visit La Bocana

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 3-24-2017 at 06:54 PM

Hi Blanca,
Going to suggest again that you set up a Paypal account for donations. Makes it so much simpler to send you a few bucks from time to time.
Kurt

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.