BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Vehicle tool organization.
philodog
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2017 at 10:03 AM
Vehicle tool organization.

The recent post on the Socket Roll organizer got me thinking that there must be some more great ideas out there for organizing tools in your Baja vehicle of choice. The Socket Roll was nice but what about all the other tools? It looks too big to fit in a tool box so it would be another item bouncing around in the back of the truck.
I use a fairly large plastic toolbox and use different colored cheap zippered canvas bags from Home Depot to separate wrenches, sockets, misc. items from all the big items that sit on the bottom. Not as organized as the Socketroll but everything is in one spot and it`s easy to just pull all the bags out to get what is needed.
And I have a milk crate pushed out of the way to the back of truck with big but not often used items like tow straps, extra jacks, fold up shovel, air compressor,axe etc.
Let`s hear some more trick ideas on tool storage or vehicle storage in general.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 4-2-2017 at 04:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by philodog  
The recent post on the Socket Roll organizer got me thinking that there must be some more great ideas out there for organizing tools in your Baja vehicle of choice. The Socket Roll was nice but what about all the other tools? It looks too big to fit in a tool box so it would be another item bouncing around in the back of the truck.
I use a fairly large plastic toolbox and use different colored cheap zippered canvas bags from Home Depot to separate wrenches, sockets, misc. items from all the big items that sit on the bottom. Not as organized as the Socketroll but everything is in one spot and it`s easy to just pull all the bags out to get what is needed.
And I have a milk crate pushed out of the way to the back of truck with big but not often used items like tow straps, extra jacks, fold up shovel, air compressor,axe etc.
Let`s hear some more trick ideas on tool storage or vehicle storage in general.

More or less the way I do it. Also I have a couple of canvas bricklayers bags. Super heavy duty.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-2-2017 at 04:16 PM

the ONLY tool bag you'll ever need...

toolbag.jpg - 47kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2017 at 04:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

For a month anyway. I´d prefer a bag of c notes.:cool:
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-2-2017 at 04:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

For a month anyway. I´d prefer a bag of c notes.:cool:

WORD :coolup:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2017 at 05:00 PM

Is that the rewards of working at Hong Kong Gentleman's Club Tijuana?
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2017 at 05:17 PM

I run in a jeep cherokee and took out the back seat and built two storage areas to make the back flat for a bed with the storage underneath filled with jack, tow strap, vacuum gauge, multimeter, mini shovel, TP, common parts for my car(belt, a couple sensors, wire, electrical tape, RTV). Other side has mini sledge, bag of all random tools excluding sockets and wrenches, drill and bits, bag with sockets and roll case of wrenches, jumper cables.

And then I have enough room behind my seat in between the storage compartment for some fluids. Oil, coolant, pb blaster, alcohol(for 1st aid) windex, brake fluid, stop leak fluid, 1 bottle of gear oil that can go in transmission, transfer case or axles for a short run to get to a store for the correct grade stuff.

I've done enough trips to find the perfect place for everything in my car where I can bounce the bejesus out of my car and myself and everything stays put. The only problem is military inspections. If they feel like being jerks it can be 10 minutes after they are done putting everything back in it's place.

My list of things might be complete overkill but many people including myself have been super grateful that I carry so much stuff. I can't count how many times I have stopped to help someone and they say jokingly not unless you have a special tool and usually I do.
philodog
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2017 at 05:48 PM

When I had an FJ40 and explored remote Baja in the 80s I had a complete auto parts store in the back because you would probably need most of it. Luckily with modern trucks you need a lot less. Speaking of needing "specialty tools" I stopped to check on a gringo stopped in the middle of Mex 5 last month. He had a flat tire and didn`t have a lug wrench :o
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2017 at 09:13 AM

I have one of these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-22-in-Pro-Tool-Box-Black-2...

Cheap and works quite well. Although it resides inside a much larger truck lower box, it's sturdy enough to bounce around in the back of a pickup/whatever. Just lock it down so it doesn't walk off. If needing too, one could even bolt it down with some fender washers or heavier plate.

You gonna eat that?
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2017 at 08:55 PM

LukeJobbins:

I want you to follow me everywhere!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.