BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: real estate lawyer la paz?
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2017 at 06:32 AM
real estate lawyer la paz?

Can any one please suggest a trusted real estate lawyer in la paz for a friend?
Sandlefoot
Nomad

Mood: Home

[*] posted on 4-10-2017 at 06:43 AM

Jose Gaytan, just off 5 de Mayo about four blocks up and on the right side. Don't have his contact information in front of me but I think everyone in town knows him. Used him twice, English speaking and very knowledgeable and trustworthy.

" Don't find fault, find a remedy; anyone can complain." Henry Ford

If you are not living on the edge...you are taking up to much space!

Just because it may not be a good idea does not mean it will not be fun!!!

Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2017 at 06:49 AM

We also Recommend Jose Gaytan. You can just Google is website. Great guy.

PM if you need his email.

http://gaytanlegalservices.com
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2017 at 10:53 AM

X3 Jose Gaytan
Vayase

[*] posted on 4-10-2017 at 11:02 AM

100% Jose Gaytan, saved my butt after getting involved with another lawyer that took me for thousands $$$ and left me with incomplete paperwork putting the property at risk, Jose is good guy and very accessible.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2017 at 12:40 PM

thank you
charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2017 at 03:53 PM

NO NO NO NO NO Many times NO. All attorneys subcontract with a Nontario who is the authority. Check JG's credentials. Really sub par school as any attorney in Mex can get a license after 2 years after high school....we did after the fact.

Not to say anything bad about JG or his lovely daughter who both speak really good english,but I have learned the hard way as well as a guy who thought he bought a parcel from me only to find out that the contract JG formed did not come close to owning it. Good thing I am a good guy or this man would have lost his investment due to a attorney drawing up the contract.

We could barely find a notario to fix it all being that our attorney was who this discussion was about.

Do your homework further or just go to a notario to start with and save some money and headache.
charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2017 at 03:55 PM

To others who have used an attorney and feel safe...check again and protect your investment by having a trully legal ( non attorney) document.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2017 at 04:02 PM

The notario will write the contract and manage that process, the attorney is completing the fiducomiso. It's not my choice, just wondering what people's thoughts are. For example are two attorneys needed to check each others work beyond the nontario? or do two attorneys complicate the processs even more? Is the first step visiting the notario with buyer and seller or is it the last step? Do they have to go together or can they go separately? Advice?
jkruk
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2017 at 07:33 PM
Lot purchase

Double help anyone, notario real estate person, robin or Jose Mulege, jg working on one for us already, lot purchase from a Mexican??? Thank you Jim
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 07:53 AM

Jim
Not a lawyer but probably has a good contact.
Jose Moreles (615) 112-1092 - phoenix1281@ymail.com - in Mulege
Has done really good work for a number of our friends.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Richard M. Sepler

[*] posted on 8-31-2017 at 10:16 PM

Why don't you have the help from the search engine. Sign up there and find the nearest real estate lawyer. I also do this when i am in need of a real estate lawyer and find Law Offices Of Richard M Sepler for my case.
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 8-31-2017 at 10:35 PM

Notarios are lawyers who specialize in real estate and appointed by the Governor of each state in Mexico.

I hear the whales song
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 9-1-2017 at 08:00 AM

Justice is absolutely for sale here. The only thing that trumps $ is political connection. That includes the judges. The resolution to any real estate problem will invariably favor the deeper pocket. Let me tell you about a lady that tried to divorce her husband. They owned a resort. She just spent a few weeks in prison here in La Paz. Or about the guy that rented to a "nice" person that decided they had claim to the property. Or ....... I could go on. Do your homework. Ask everyone you can. Take a bunch of people out to dinner. You want representation relative to the magnitude of the transaction. You won't find a solution to your problem here or most importantly on Google.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
mooose29
Nomad

Mood: All Smiles

[*] posted on 9-1-2017 at 09:03 AM

Speaking for myself I too have had a great experience with Jose Gaytan his cell number is 011 52 1 612 348 5566 office is 011 52 612 122 2033 and email is jlgaytan66@hotmail.com He helped us with the sale of our property and is easy to find in La Paz

I will double what Russ said about Jose Morales in Mulege he is awesome and truly went above and beyond to help my father and I navigate the complexities that is the system in Baja

Jose works with Robin Fizzelle of Mulege Properties who I also had a good experience with and also helped above and beyond to make sure we were staying on the right track. Robin's cell is 011 52 1 615 103 3546 and his email is robin@mulegeproperties.com.mx

Everyone has their own experiences and I can only speak to what I experienced
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2017 at 09:06 AM

Just completed a transaction that included a lawyer and notario and accountant that are "well connected" some of which noted in this thread. It could not have been more difficult, confusing and confounding with constant delays and requests to meet late at night which seems suspicious? My impression is that mistakes happen because people are simply not paying a great deal of attention, nor do they understand the law and they try to rush get things done at the last minute and make mistakes and that complicates things. But through perseverance the deal closed and all money was eventually transferred to the foreign parties completely which is a miracle.

Foreigners can complete transactions without paying excessive commissions and capital gains taxes if you follow the fiscal residency rules. But to explain how would require a book. The lawyer and accountant had to repeatedly be shown the law as it applies to foreigners and encouraged politely to interpret it fairly. Basically an RT or RP should be registered fiscally at the hacienda with an RFC persona fisica and get an decalaration of no obligations, though if you do not earn any income you can not file zero income so its difficult to show that you are fiscally in Mexico with no income, though theoretically many or perhaps the majority of foreign people (as well as many mexicans) do live in Mexico with no income there. Other items such as recent utility bills in your name are also required. It may help if you can show that you are moving (transferring) to another residence in mexico in your name.

Having a business in your name could help, but not a business that makes money from renting the home for sale for profit presumably.

The truth is an agent is not required nor is a lawyer needed to write a fidicomiso or contract which is a standardized document and the fees to pay them to do so are excessive to write a simple document and notarios are often represented by the children who don't seem to be too familiar with the law either though they are required and in some cases they need their own accountant to advise them of the law as it applies to foreigners.

Let's say you have US $100,000 property, the agents want 6% from the seller at $6000, the buyers lawyer wants $5-7000 to write the fidicomiso document and the buyer pays the notario to do the title who gets a percentage and fee and then theres a municipal tax on the sale 1% or so and fees to register title and foreign sellers taxes up to who knows what who may or may not be charged capital gains depending on formulas but could be zero if you can establish fiscal residency. And then the buyer is required to pay the holder of the fidicomiso at an escalating rate?

It is my impression that the majority of deals do not use agents or lawyers or accountants and are done person to person and the only thing that can explain why everything is such a mystery to all parties is because the lawyers and accountants make it mysterious on purpose and because they are lazy and make mistakes.

Those recommended in this thread are well known to make errors and did so in this transaction as well in names, dates and numbers so read the documents yourself with more than one set of eyes when you are well rested and take your time to correct errors and do not take their word that everything is fine and don't meet after normal business hours.

[Edited on 9-2-2017 by gnukid]
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2017 at 12:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Richard M. Sepler  
Why don't you have the help from the search engine. Sign up there and find the nearest real estate lawyer. .

I believe it's better to get a personal referral for legal stuff down here. A connection can help make a transaction smoother.

Websites mean nothing.

Think NOB is different.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.