Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Spring Break reports-- good, bad, ugly
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2017 at 08:52 PM
Spring Break reports-- good, bad, ugly

Give us old geezers something to chew on---- how is Spring Break in Baja this year? So far the only reports are the desert is colorful, the road is dangerous, the trout are beautiful, and San Felipe is a den of thieves, meth heads, and corrupt cops!!
I`ll see a little tomorrow in northern Baja, but would like some reports from the streets and beaches down south!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
TedZark
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2017 at 05:14 AM

The beachfront at Campo La Jolla (Carretera La Buffadora KM11) south of Ensenada is full of families enjoying themselves with la abuela in the kitchen tent cooking up a storm. Happiness reigns. Kids are playing on the beach. Couples are strolling. Friends and family standing about chatting and laughing. People brought shovels and are digging holes along where the hot springs meet the sea and sitting in their makeshift hottubs. Joy!

A boombox or two or three... but la musica only seems to add to the festivities.

I walk the area just to absorb the good old-fashion family togetherness. It makes me smile just thinking about it.

[Edited on 4-15-2017 by TedZark]
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-15-2017 at 05:33 AM

Great imagery Ted. My first night in Ensenada, Dec. 1995 was at La Jolla. Also did the hot springs mud bath, and many times since. Brings back good memories. :coolup:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2017 at 05:43 AM

Very quiet here. No break-ins or robberies reported. Only a few quads or jet ski's and everyone seems to be enjoying the week. Couldn't ask for better weather:biggrin:

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 4-15-2017 at 06:58 AM

About 20 camps at LaGringa in Bahia de Los Angeles. Not much to tell.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 4-15-2017 at 07:51 AM

I learned my lesson years ago. Was Easter week 1990. I drove down with one of my daughters (who was pregnant at the time). I pulled into Santispac and to my horror the entire beach was packed with MEXICANS!
Not an inch to spare from the waters edge to the bluff for us Gringos who, of course, rightfully own exclusive camping rights around here. There was even a temporary store! We did manage to squeeze into a very small space near the lagoon. Most of the campers were from G Negro and worked for the salt company and were nice people. Except they did not sleep! Beer and music all night! So we went with it as best as we could. On Good Friday every one cleared out and left behind an incredible amount of garbage. The garbage was picked up the next day and all was back to normal.
All said and done; we had a good time. But never again during Easter!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2017 at 09:02 AM

rosarito packed to the gills, huge police presence, perfect weather and everyone having a ball :coolup:
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2017 at 09:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 24baja  
About 20 camps at LaGringa in Bahia de Los Angeles. Not much to tell.

The campgrounds closer to town are all full. Seems to be more people than the last few years. My wife could hear the music from the dance in town last night, I slept through it. On my morning walk down the beach it looked like a lot of campers had a good time around the campfire last night, based on the piles of cans I saw and lack of early morning movement in said camps.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2017 at 07:17 AM

Loreto town packed, I heard 100% occupancy rate. horrid on the Malecon at night, non stop traffic circling endlessly, each vehicle blaring music, party groups set up on the sidewalk, ditto blaring music, screaming, cackling, loud loud loud and continuous to 5am. why any tourist would enjoy this, I dunno...
next year...am out of here for the whole week.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 4-16-2017 at 07:54 AM

Just saw some pictures of rocky point on the mainland. Looked like 100% occupancy on the beach.
yumawill
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2017 at 06:27 PM

come to YUMA! all the winter visitors have left and the river is beautiful and clean. 90 deg days and 65 deg nights.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2017 at 09:32 PM

We only had 58 cars and pickups on our little beach this year, down from a high of 106 about 7 years ago. I do a count on Saturday mid day just to compare. Everyone looked to have a great time. They were all gone by Sunday late afternoon and left the beach almost spotless.

What a great crowd. Lots of family love. Beautiful. And then it was just me and a neighbor in five foot glassy evening waves looking in on an empty beach. All is good with the world. Happy Easter!

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2017 at 07:31 AM

Here in La Bocana, the town was deserted! We had three different guests over the week and they had the whole B&B house to themselves!

By far these 2weeks are the quietest time of the year except for the kiteboarders who have taken over the beach cabañas and are flying in the skies all day long - every afternoon has wind wind and more wind.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2017 at 02:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by El Jefe  
We only had 58 cars and pickups on our little beach this year, down from a high of 106 about 7 years ago. I do a count on Saturday mid day just to compare. Everyone looked to have a great time. They were all gone by Sunday late afternoon and left the beach almost spotless.

What a great crowd. Lots of family love. Beautiful. And then it was just me and a neighbor in five foot glassy evening waves looking in on an empty beach. All is good with the world. Happy Easter!

I hope that neighbor was either jk or jk? Saludos.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2017 at 03:39 PM

jk it was.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 4-17-2017 at 04:04 PM

just back from 6 days remote camping around the corner from Playa Coyote...the Bahia Concepcion beaches were more packed than ever before which was surprising to me with the economy being as crappy as it is and gas exorbitantly priced.

The weather was perfect, the sea a luxurious temperature for swimming and snorkeling. Things were alot quieter than usual there as dances were prohibited. Also the fisheries branch announced strict regulations regarding whale sharks...only 2 minutes allowed stopped with the animals, no touching and no getting in the water with them....wow! lucky sharks. I didnt see any but friends did one day.

Also nice the San Ignacio checkpoint was way quicker as they were only doing cursory searches. If Juan's Toyota engine hadnt passed away in the middle of the desert and both our panga engine and our back up engine also died peaceful deaths...it would have been an ideal vacation! Fotos to follow when I get some time after unpacking.

Oh yeah...we LOVE the store at Santispak...they have ICE even!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 4-17-2017 at 04:20 PM

I was in Ensenada on Sat. and Sun. I was great. Lots of families enjoying the nice weather. I was crowed but nothing more than any other boat day. I surfed on Sat in poor surf and paddled around the harbor this morning. One hour to cross using the ready lane. I am still waiting for the sentri approval for this truck.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2017 at 04:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TedZark  
south of Ensenada is full of families enjoying themselves with la abuela in the kitchen tent cooking up a storm. Happiness reigns. Kids are playing on the beach. Couples are strolling. Friends and family standing about chatting and laughing. People brought shovels and are digging holes along where the hot springs meet the sea and sitting in their makeshift hottubs. Joy!

A boombox or two or three... but la musica only seems to add to the festivities.

I walk the area just to absorb the good old-fashion family togetherness. It makes me smile just thinking about it.

[Edited on 4-15-2017 by TedZark]

You captured it, nice post, TZ. To the newbie, this kind of atmosphere can be a bit overwhelming, just emurse
yourself
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2017 at 05:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by El Jefe  
jk it was.

Nice!:cool:
lewmt
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2017 at 06:37 AM

Quote:

By far these 2weeks are the quietest time of the year except for the kiteboarders who have taken over the beach cabañas and are flying in the skies all day long - every afternoon has wind wind and more wind.

That's a beautiful thing. Paradise there. Ian, Meghan & crew, the Cabanas, sand beach break, perfect steady winds, & a really nice right are a great combination(shhh....don't tell anyone)

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.