Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Drive time from Tecate to El Rosario
BajaBuckeye
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2017 at 08:43 AM
Drive time from Tecate to El Rosario

Plan to cross the border tomorrow morning at 8am at Tecate and was wondering what an approximate drive time might be to El Rosario. Thought we might stop in Ensenada to stretch our legs and maybe have an early lunch. We have a room reserved at Baja Cactus in El Rosario and had hoped this would be doable for our first day in Baja. Thanks in advance for any comments!
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2017 at 10:09 AM

the highway down from Tecate to Ensenada is fantastic.
with a taco stop in Ensenada and a couple breaks you should be there in 5 hours, easy
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-23-2017 at 12:04 PM

Depends what you're travelling in / with. Just a passenger vehicle as in not towing anything 5 hours. I'd average about 6 mas o meno hauling a trailer or 5th wheel, and depends on traffic especially San Quintin area. Also, with the improvements on the hwy from Tecate to Ensenada, you'll be there in less than two hours, so that's a very early lunch.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-23-2017 at 04:49 PM

About 1 1/2 hours to Ensenada, 3 hours to San Quintin, about 30/45 minutes to El Rosario

Gas up in Ensenada (I prefer the VIP/Pemex stations), grab a couple of tacos at El Trailero in Sauzal and do lunch at Parcela 12, KM 16, south of San Quintin
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2017 at 06:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
About 1 1/2 hours to Ensenada, 3 hours to San Quintin, about 30/45 minutes to El Rosario

Gas up in Ensenada (I prefer the VIP/Pemex stations), grab a couple of tacos at El Trailero in Sauzal and do lunch at Parcela 12, KM 16, south of San Quintin

Those are the exact food stops we always do!
looks like I'm in good company
Alan
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2017 at 07:03 PM

"grab a couple of tacos at El Trailero"
Oh yeah! There's a little wash stand in the back parking lot.
And if it's open when you pass by, stop by LA Cetto winery - pick up a couple bottles for your trip, and definitely snag some olive oil to take home.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-24-2017 at 07:23 AM

El Trailero is in El Sauzal, just after you turn left from the Tecate-Ensenada highway. Look for it on the left side of the road with the big orange/red/yellow sign.

Try their "VAMPIROS".

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
"grab a couple of tacos at El Trailero"
Oh yeah! There's a little wash stand in the back parking lot.
And if it's open when you pass by, stop by LA Cetto winery - pick up a couple bottles for your trip, and definitely snag some olive oil to take home.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-24-2017 at 12:06 PM

It is beautiful here in El Rosario today. Blue sky, sea breeze, nice breakfast at Loncheria El Faro (whose WiFi allows this reply to post). Juan Francisco is the owner. He is from Faro San José, far south in the Seven Sisters (where I have been mapping).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 4-25-2017 at 10:00 AM

David K, I will be in El Rosario next week and then headed towards San Felipe for a couple of days. Is the road/turnoff from Hwy5 South to Hwy1 North well marked or do I need to look for anything special? JH
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2017 at 09:25 PM

You mean the south end of Hwy. 5, where it meets the 1?
Yes, at Laguna Chapala (Km. 233+)

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2017 at 09:30 PM

I left El Rosario at 9:30 this morning.
Drove in to check Hotels, etc., and the beach at San Quintin.
Spent almost two hours in San Vicente.
Got to the border at Tecate at 5:20 this afternoon...

Approx. 5-5.5 HOURS driving for me.

bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 4-26-2017 at 07:15 AM

Thank You. JH
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2017 at 10:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajamedic  
Thank You. JH

De nada... keep in mind, I am in a light loaded Tacoma, no towing, and I move along at a good clip when traffic allows.

Yesterday, the Ensenada traffic (3:30-4 pm) was not as bad as typical and I got more green lights than usual! The Tecate Highway (Mex 3) was amazingly free of traffic and trucks... only a few. All the widening construction is done, so no detours. It is four lanes wide from Ensenada to Km. 91 (~10 kms. of Hwy. 3) and just the new 2 lane with wide shoulders that almost could be a lane the rest of the way to Tecate.

The corridor from Camalu to south San Quintín (Los Pinos/ Santa María) really needs to be all 4-lane with the amount of traffic! It is 4 lane through Colonia Vicente Guerrero and in the city of San Quintín and Lázaro Cárdenas (the southern of the two towns next to each other).

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.