Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Warning from INM
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-2-2017 at 11:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Tecate is easy to get to.. I outlined the process of returning the free FMM to the Tecate INM office, with satellite maps, too.
How does one do that in San Ysidro?

Drive to Tecate!

I would think trying to drive close to the southbound border INM and then get back to the end of the line in Tijuana or Mexicali would be some kind of hell.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2017 at 07:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
A few years ago I tried to fly out of Loreto to join my boys for an Elk hunt. I had a Permanente card. I was refused boarding until I got a Visa. I was sent to the Immigration office...No one there..open but no one there....Finally found the employee in a bar....Got visa $$$$ , missed flight...flew out 2 days later...es Mexico, no?
The correct procedure has always been that you need to fill out the FMM form (it is not a "visa") before leaving Mexico and have it stamped by migracion, then present that form when returning to Mexico. It's exactly the opposite of what you would do as a tourist. It is your responsibility to know and follow the correct procedure.

Thanks, now I understand. If you have a Mexican resident visa and want to take a driving trip to the US via the San Ysidro crossing you get in line at the border going north, cross the border into the US, turn around and go back to Mexico to get to the INM office at the southbound crossing, get the FMM, turn around, get back into the northbound crossing lines and away you go. Easy, should take no more than 6 hours of sitting in traffic lines and dealing with Mexican officials.

What's needed, at least at the San Ysidro crossing, is a way to get to the INM office from the Mexican side. There must be a way, afterall it's staffed by Mexicans.

Anybody know how to do it? I've looked at google maps and there is a street in Colonia Federal close to the offices at the southbound crossing but it looks like there isn't any access from the street to the offices.

[Edited on 5-3-2017 by SFandH]
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2017 at 08:38 AM

lencho and all, I totally agree with your views on 'correct' procedure, thanks for the feedback. It would be near-impossible at TJ, merely difficult at Tecate with a trailer on the side streets.

Dali Lama once said "know the rules so you understand how to break them correctly." This sorta thing is one of those deals.

I have never heard of or been checked for status going south either.

I just get hassled for no placa on my light trailer from Oregon, where we don't plate trailers under 1800#. I've gotten good at explaining that at the border both ways and the Federales!

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2017 at 10:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
A few years ago I tried to fly out of Loreto to join my boys for an Elk hunt. I had a Permanente card. I was refused boarding until I got a Visa. I was sent to the Immigration office...No one there..open but no one there....Finally found the employee in a bar....Got visa $$$$ , missed flight...flew out 2 days later...es Mexico, no?
The correct procedure has always been that you need to fill out the FMM form (it is not a "visa") before leaving Mexico and have it stamped by migracion, then present that form when returning to Mexico. It's exactly the opposite of what you would do as a tourist. It is your responsibility to know and follow the correct procedure.

Thanks, now I understand. If you have a Mexican resident visa and want to take a driving trip to the US via the San Ysidro crossing you get in line at the border going north, cross the border into the US, turn around and go back to Mexico to get to the INM office at the southbound crossing, get the FMM, turn around, get back into the northbound crossing lines and away you go. Easy, should take no more than 6 hours of sitting in traffic lines and dealing with Mexican officials.

What's needed, at least at the San Ysidro crossing, is a way to get to the INM office from the Mexican side. There must be a way, afterall it's staffed by Mexicans.

Anybody know how to do it? I've looked at google maps and there is a street in Colonia Federal close to the offices at the southbound crossing but it looks like there isn't any access from the street to the offices.

[Edited on 5-3-2017 by SFandH]
The only time I have ever done it when driving is when I was planning of flying back. I don't know anyone who does the form if they are driving both ways, but if you fly back and go through the INM line at the airport, they will expect you to have it. I did it in Tecate, just drove to the Mexican side of the border crossing where you enter Mexico from California, parked about a half a block from the border and walked over to the INM office and filled out the form and got it stamped, then crossed the border. It took about 45 minutes.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 02:15 AM

Not sure if any of you RP travel much, INM no longer requests the old exit FMM when entering to Mexico. That changed this year a few months back.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 10:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
Not sure if any of you RP travel much, INM no longer requests the old exit FMM when entering to Mexico. That changed this year a few months back.

Wow. So do they require anything (besides credential) of re-entering RP holders? Do they scan your card?
They still required us to fill it out when flying out of Los Cabos in February.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 09:22 PM

As RP/RT, when you leave Mexico you go to the ticket counter and check in, then you fill out the FMM to give to INM take half back and you show it to the ticket agent to get your ticket from the counter and you show the half as you board but you don't need to show the half of the exit fmm when you return to mexico like you may have done years ago.

Point is, it is different and therefore confusing and may change in the future. But yes you need to show the RP/TP card on departure and return to mexico and you should be clear about declaring your status. I always fill out the fmm card both ways but it seems to be used on departure but not on arrival most of the time now for RP. I don't really understand but they always say when you arrive and you show them the old half card and the new FMM from the plane and they say oh yo don't need that anymore. Your RP milage may vary. obviously its different for tourists and entry by car or boat and other circumstances.

[Edited on 5-5-2017 by gnukid]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.