Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Introducing England to my students
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2017 at 07:21 PM
Introducing England to my students

Over the years, I have collected photos and objects on all the countries we have visited, which I share with my students.

The month of May was my chosen month to do the trip around the world with the 7th graders. We started with Portugal, then Spain, then Portugal then China and the most recent was the U.K. countries that I have been to (England and Wales). Next week will be Brazil, Italy, France and I have set aside two full classes for Mexico. I thought I would share our voyage to England with you all:

London with its beautiful skyline was the start of the trip.

Abi with postcard of skyline

Beautiful crystal of London skyline

English villages - most people think of London, but the English countryside is just so fantastic. I told them about the gardens which are simply stunning. We also talked about architecture since the houses are so unique. They were surprised to hear that it rains and rains and rains some more.

Patricia with typical British house coaster

I explained that India was a British colony and that curry was as British as it gets. Les had made curry the day before, so I had a jar that they could smell. Trying to hit all the senses!

Stefanie with curry jar

Told them about Robinhood who came from Nottingham:

Nottingham book

Tea is so British that it is almost like a remedy for any ailment. Les's buddy caves tea every afternoon and I have noticed that if a serious situation comes up, they all run for tea as if it can solve any dilemma....so we talked about tea. I have a collection of boxes and this one is from my college days!

Andry with my college tin

Here is a tea tin I got when Les's best buddy from England and wife came to visit months ago:

Tea tin - Hyram

Les went to college in Somerset, southern England, and this is where we head every time we go there. It is a lovely part of the country and I told them about the wonderful villages:

Irving with Somerset book

Street is one of my favorite villages along with Glastonbury and Wells. The small ma and pa shops, the flowers everywhere.

Javier with a photo of Street – flowers

We have been really having fun with these classes. One of the students said: Please take me with you the next time you go. I looked at the class for a quiet moment and said: Continue your studies so that you can go and write to me about where you went.

He smiled and I think the seed I planted grew just a little bit.

This morning I got delivery of two boxes of toothbrushes that BajaSteve donated! I am so happy!! Next month the flying dentists are coming into Punta Abreojos and they have given me the green light for ANY La Bocana resident to go, especially any student. They asked me to help out with toothbrushes and now I can!

Toothbrushes Baja Steve

The last event today was 3 students coming over to ask for notebooks and notebook paper. Two are in high school and the one in the middle is in jr.high. It makes me so happy to know that they feel comfortable asking me for supplies. Thanks to all of you who bring me supplies THANKS for being part of my mini miracles.

I had given them Canadian maple candy so that is why their faces are kind of skewed LOL

The boys

Hope you all had as wonderful a week as I did!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2017 at 08:03 PM

Great job. I love your teaching and working with kids. Hope to see you in a few months
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 11:35 AM

:biggrin:

Thanks!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 12:46 PM

Very cool.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.