Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Whales at San Ignacio Lagoon
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2005 at 06:51 PM
Whales at San Ignacio Lagoon

Made the 2 hour journey over one of the worse roads in Baja out to the lagoon and set up camp at the Kuyima site. It blew like stink that night....I recalled that the last time we had been there we were tent camping and I had woken up in the morning with the tent plastered to my face....so if you go to camp be prepared for the wind. We had some dinner at the camp and had a fire all laid and waiting but decided that in the camper was really where we wanted to be.
The next morning we started the fire to warm our bones and had some very good huevos rancheros before taking off in the panga to head for the whales. It was very calm so the ride out was a piece of cake. Our pangero, Choppy, said that when it was calm the whales dont play as much so why dont we go over to Los Piedros and see if they were there. Later he told us that because of the current there the whales played more....I have never seen so many spyhops nor tails. It was spectacular, breathtaking, unbelievable, etc.
Choppy said that there were too many males still looking for mates for the females to be interested in coming to the boat and sure enough none did.
Back to camp where we had fabulous fish tacos.....then back down the dreaded road and on to Ignacio Springs yurts for a hot shower and Terry's famous roast beef...melt in your mouth.
A wonderful trip.

One thing I was told while there....we had our dogs and we had kept them on leashes. I asked Teresa, who runs a souvenir shop with the ladies of the community, why they didnt have any dogs. She said that the coyotes eat them. They send out pups to tease and play with the dog. Then once the dog is following the pup, he leads them back to the den and dinner is served.

Nikon
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2005 at 07:00 PM

This is a really good account of the trip, and with an interesting story in the bargain! Thanks, Judy!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.