BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mulegé Science Team to represent Mexico in International Competition
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2017 at 10:06 AM
Mulegé Science Team to represent Mexico in International Competition

Hello fellow Mulegé friends and residents,

We have great news to share with you on the success of our CECyT college-preparatory students' science class project, which they named simply Eco-Mold.

These young science students have a sincere interest in making the world a better place. They set out to create a "green" ecological and earth-friendly product. Well, friends, these kids have succeeded!

The kids won first place in this years' State Creativity and Technological Innovation Competition in La Paz, Baja California Sur. Then they went to the national competition in Mérida Yucatan where they also placed first.

Now these young people from Mulegé are slated to represent the country of Mexico at the international competition. It's coming up on August 30, 31 and September 1, 2017 in Santiago Chile.

The time approaches quickly. The kids are ready and able, their project more than capable of taking them to another win. We're so excited for this opportunity and know that you are, too.

This is where you come in, friends. The science team needs your continuing financial help to make this a reality. There are four Mulegé Ceccyt students and their science professor who have been selected to represent our town. They will need a minimum of $5,000 USD to achieve this.

This is our opportunity as Mulegé residents to give back to the little village that welcomes us into its heart. We can reach down and put our shoulders together to make this happen. It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for the worthy student team. The youth are the hope of the future which could not be better represented than by these bright and exceptional young minds.

The students have set up accounts to receive monetary donations to finance this trip. Every dollar helps, so we hope that you will dig deep and donate generously.

1) They have a Bancomer account. You can deposit directly to them here in Mexico or send it from abroad through your bank's remittence service.
BBVA Bancomer
Account Number:
Account Recipient: Ysenia Guadalupe Villavicencio Murillo

2) Eco-Mold PayPal account: proteco.mold@gmail.com

Also see their Facebook page Eco-Mold.

On behalf of Eco-Mold and the Mulegé Science Team, I thank you most sincerely!

[Edited on 6-17-2017 by Mulegena]

[Edited on 6-17-2017 by Mulegena]

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2017 at 10:23 AM

Written by the kids of the Science Team in their own words AND in perfect English.

WHAT IS ECO-MOLD?
Ecologic moldings made out of recycle paper (mainly cardboard and paper sheets) and one additive, as an alternative to the conventional ones. These are eco-friendly.
HOW DID THIS START? WHY ECO-MOLD?
Since there are way too much wasted materials (cardboard and paper sheets, in this case) that don’t do any good to the environment, we wanted to recycled that and make it into a green eco-friendly product. Global warming is a problem we all should be worried about, because it affects us all, and it is our Planet Earth, our home, what is being polluted and damaged.
HOW IS IT MADE?
After several trials for the mixture, we finally end up with the right quantities of water, raw material and additive. Then, we poured that out into the molds to get the moldings out of them once they are dried out. And that’s how it is made. Of course we can make it even better (since this is still a project, a prototype), but we don’t have the proper machinery to end up with a better result.
WHAT HAVE WE BEEN DOING WITH THE PROJECT AND WHERE?
It was a bit more than a year ago when we first came up with the idea of developing an ecologic product utilizing recycled materials like paper. The project we came up with was an ecologic brick, which we took to La Paz for the State Creativity and Technological Innovation Competition, and we got 2º Prize.
After that, we kept working starting off the same idea but this time we wanted to come up with a different product. Then we came up with this project which is Eco-Mold, and we took it, again, to the State Creativity and Technological Innovation Competition of this year, and we got 1º Prize; which meant we had to go to the National Competition in Mérida, Yucatán, and we got 1º Prize there too. That means now we have to go to the International Competition in Santiago, Chile, August 2017.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-15-2017 at 10:23 AM

Congratulations to the students, and the adults who guided or inspired them!

I don't use facebook, and a search for eco-mold turned up nothing. Do you know of a link other than FB that could explain the project?

Edit; Wow! you were reading my mind while I was typing!

[Edited on 6-15-2017 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2017 at 10:24 AM

Looking to the future:
WHAT DO WE AND THE SCIENCE TEAM THINK OF THIS SO FAR?
We hope to develop a company, in our town primarily. Since our raw material —which is generated excessively each passing day— is wasted papers, we know this is a sustainable product. We have enough, and even more than that, material to start with a production of the product and, as we said, establish a company.
We hope, of course, to help our Planet Earth reducing pollution.
The benefits will not only be for us, but also for the community, due to the low price of the final product, which is way cheaper than the conventional ones. Plus, we plan on buying the raw material from the community members. This will generate an income for the families. And, we know, it will not be such a big amount, but it’s just an incentive to make people want to contribute to the cause.

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2017 at 10:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Congratulations to the students, and the adults who guided or inspired them!

I don't use facebook, and a search for eco-mold turned up nothing. Do you know of a link other than FB that could explain the project?
Yes, and thank you for your response. Please see the two posts following, written by them in their own words.

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 6-15-2017 at 12:41 PM

Paypal links are not working for me.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2017 at 01:39 PM
Anyone wishing to donate to the Science Team, please note.

Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  
Paypal links are not working for me.

I can't figure this out, either, Kurt.

There seems to be a problem linking to their PayPal account.

There are other ways to get your donation to them promptly, however, so please contact by u2u and I'll discuss this further with each of you.
Thanks so much for your understanding,
Maria/Mulegena

bajafootprints

[*] posted on 6-15-2017 at 11:11 PM
Need Paypal email address for,the science team

I believe it may be easier to use the Email address for the eco mold team that they used to create their Paypal ecomold account. Hopefully we can then just go to our own paypal account and enter their email to donate so that the kids can travel to Chile and compete in this International Science, Creativity, and Innovation Fair!
Congratualtions Team Eco Mold on the National Compitition! You all have already made Mulege Proud!:bounce::bounce:
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2017 at 07:25 AM

Just heard from the kids...

They've been called to a meeting with the Baja Sur State School Principal.

This is regarding their project! Wow!

I'll keep everyone here updated on the meeting when I hear from the kids.

Thanks, I'll ask the kids to give me more data on their PayPal account, too.

Stay tuned for more from Eco-Mold and the Mulegé Science Team.

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2017 at 06:30 AM

For those who have expressed interest in sending a PayPal donation, here is the email address which references Eco-Mold:

proteco.mold@gmail.com

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2017 at 10:17 AM

This is so wonderful! Oh my gosh! What an honor and what an amazing feat they accomplished.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2017 at 08:25 AM
Sunday morning update from the Science Team kids

Update: The Science Team went to the Serenidad Hotel yesterday and with permission of the hotel (thank you, Don Johnson!) spoke to the flying doctors who were in this weekend. They'd expressed interest a few weeks ago and were glad to hear updates. They also generously donated to the upcoming trip to Santiago! Thank you, thank you deeply, Friends!

Again, the trip to Santiago Chile is to represent Mexico youth in scientific exploration and development. Donate to them thru PayPal at proteco.mold@gmail.com .

basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2017 at 01:58 PM

Very cool! It's great so see this sort of thing from young adults these days!
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 7-17-2017 at 10:14 AM

I went to the Facebook page:
Eco-Mold Facebook Link
and used the Donate button, worked like a charm. You don't have to be a facebook "user" to view the page or use the Donate button.

You can also make a tax exempt donation thru the 501(c)3 non-profit, Mulege Students Scholarship Program, Inc. by check if that's more comfortable (MSSP has been in continuous service to the students of Mulege since 1987, 30th anniversary this year!!!). 100% will go straight thru to the student trip. Make check payable to MSSPI, 1284 Vintage Way, Auburn, CA 95603, and mark the check on the notation line: Eco-Mold so I know where it goes. I'm heading down on the 22nd of this month for our annual student uniform buying trip to La Paz, and will rendezvous w/the science team to hand them the combined check. My wife will be in California to inform me of any checks that come in after the 22nd, so thanks and don't be shy.

This is quite an honor for this little Baja town, and for Baja, and of course for the students. They need some spending money for the trip, so if you have any spare change...

[Edited on 7-17-2017 by EngineerMike]

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2017 at 08:50 AM

Hi Mike! I remember way back when, you helped me think through the scholarship program I wanted to start. It was just a dream then and now it is a reality!

So wonderful that Mulege is getting on the world map. That kids are seeing a dream come true and being recognized for their efforts.

Mulegena, let us know if they really reached their goal, please.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2017 at 02:13 PM

Blanca- think nothing of it, that's what we're here for, both the Nomads and Baja Nomad site, since we'd never have met without both.

The kids have raised the minimum for travel for 4 students + the professor. So far they've won a few, lost none, and one got rained out (the fund raiser on the square).
So several donations of $10 to $50usd will put them in shape to not just go and show their invention, but to enjoy the trip and represent Mexico w/out sweating the small expenses. They need about $750usd IMO for miscellaneous expenses for 5 people, I'm currently holding $100usd to hand them when I get to Mulege this Sunday.

EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2017 at 10:55 PM

Just caught an update on the team's finances.
I gave them a check for $200usd today, 2 donations thru the Scholarship Program for $100ea.

They have the equivalent of $210usd each to spend on the trip for food, transportation & sight seeing, tickets & hotel stays are paid. That works out to about $35/person/day in a town of 6 million people where the cost of living ain't cheap.

You can donate using the Donate button on their facebook page or you can donate thru the Mulege Students Scholarship Program, Inc., 1284 Vintage Way, Auburn, CA 95603. If the latter, send me an email (mike at fleming dot cc (like carbon copy, not dot com)). I'm in Mulege as I'm writing and will cut them a check before I leave. 100% of your donation will be passed thru to them, nobody takes a dime running MSSPI.
Thanks to all who have donated, and those moved to do so now.

BTW, the kids are scrambling for winter garb, it snowed in Santiago (winter in the southern hemisphere now) this week. These kids have never seen snow in other than the movies, let alone traveled in snow country in winter.

[Edited on 7-24-2017 by EngineerMike]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.