BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: TWO Baja Books just arrived, one old and one new!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-5-2017 at 04:56 PM
TWO Baja Books just arrived, one old and one new!

Just when I thought I had all the Baja books I would ever desire, I see one on Amazon that I had attempted to get in the past...

One OLD:

558 pages of Lieut. Hardy's notes and observations as he explored the Colorado Delta, Gulf of California, and other areas for the British Navy.

This is a 1977 reprint.

============================================================

One NEW:

Bob Kittle worked for the San Diego newspaper and became interested in these three Franciscan missionary-explorers. He contacted me asking if he could use one of my photos of Mission San Fernando, last year when finishing the book. He saw my 1974 photo on my Baja mission web pages. So, it is the first of just a few photos in his 288-page book, which I have recently begun reading.

For more on Bob's work or to order a copy: www.robertkittle.com

Here is the color version of that 1974 photo:

[Edited on 7-5-2017 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2017 at 03:49 PM

very cool
yumawill
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2017 at 06:11 PM

Hence Rio Hardy. Very nice. I love stories, especilaly true stories.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-6-2017 at 07:25 PM

More books! Is there 1 book everyone is reading now so we could have a little discussion group or something. Sort of a book of the month club...

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2017 at 07:51 PM

Would love to read the Hardy book. Kind of like reading "Two Years Before the Mast" if you've read that classic. I have 4 times!!!!

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-7-2017 at 12:29 PM

"Two years before the mast" is by far 1 of my favorite books. I attended a few reenactments at Dana Point harbor of the hauling of hides from the mission.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2017 at 01:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
More books! Is there 1 book everyone is reading now so we could have a little discussion group or something. Sort of a book of the month club...

I just finished Camp and Camino in Lower California by Arthur North. What would you like to know about it. Good read, I would question his wisdom at the end about crossing the desert in the summer as he did. People die doing things like that back then and now.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-7-2017 at 01:02 PM

The Hardy book looks a little "dusty". What kind of read is it?

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-7-2017 at 01:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

I just finished Camp and Camino in Lower California by Arthur North. What would you like to know about it. Good read, I would question his wisdom at the end about crossing the desert in the summer as he did. People die doing things like that back then and now.

Sounds interesting. Yeah I think I remember a few years back someone died trying to get from Bola to San Francisquito in summer. I think their car broke down or something.

Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2017 at 01:23 PM

Well I walked from the bottom of BOLA bay to town once in July after my buddy buried his Bajabug in the sand. Not something I ever want to do again and that was just from the bottom to town!

Just as I came over the last little rise and could see town a guy in a pickup was going out and stopped, looked at me and handed me the Pacifico he had just opened. It went down in one gulp. That's why I drink Pacifico to this day- in fond remembrance of 40 yrs ago! We were camped at Diaz near the runway IIRC.

I can't imagine loading all those dried hides and packing them as tight as they did down in the hold. That's when grizzles walked around the La Brea Tar Pits. Climbing the rigging in a storm? Just every day work for them.

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2017 at 02:44 PM

The Hardy book looks a little "dusty". What kind of read is it?

I am about 1/3 into it. It is his daily diary entries of his travels across the deserts and moutains of Sinaloa and Sonora, so far. 1825 Mexico is a pretty interesting read.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2017 at 04:31 PM

Both books look so interesting.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2017 at 07:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Both books look so interesting.

Once I finish the Hardy book, I will get back to the Kittle book. That one is brand new and you can order from his website: http://robertkittle.com

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 04:19 PM

Funny!
Hey Will, I just left Yuma. Didn't see you!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.