Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Opinion: Class A or Class C for Baja
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 7-16-2017 at 03:50 PM

I considered a class b or small class c but it was very difficult to find one in good enough shape in the price range you described. I gave up and put a shell and bed liner in and an extra mattress and now I have my 'po man's camper that I can crash in when I want to pull over for a rest. I had a roof rack installed for my yak, and or basket.

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 7-16-2017 at 04:02 PM
Do you have a heavy duty pick up truck?

Do you have a heavy duty pick up truck? At least a beefed up 250 or 350?

I am considering selling my Host 11.5 foot, 2 slide camper for around $15,000. I presently have it on my F350 dually with air bags. but of course at that price it doesn't come with the camper.
Very large and heavy but very, very roomy and comfortable.

I have driven it many times down the peninsula and have had no problems with the width as I had plenty of inches to spare!

[Edited on 7-16-2017 by Howard]

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

yumawill
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2017 at 04:29 PM

Don't tow anything you actually want. Towed objects become scarificial rather quickly in Baja. Yes, go look and see especially at the crap left on the side of the road.
Sailorv
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2017 at 10:06 PM

Thank you for the positive and constructive comment. That is what we believe too and also hear from other rv'ers. Furthermore, once rvs get to a certain age their financing options drop off so they fall in price by a lot (boats have the same issue).

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
great deals to be had on used motorhomes, everyone wants em with pop-outs these days
Sailorv
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2017 at 10:27 PM

Alm, "need to get your ducks in a row" - ha! Um yeah we know, that is why we are posting in this forum here....asking for opinions from experienced rv'rs in Baja willing to kindly share their knowledge.

"Yes in like going there". A) Yes I have been to Baja norte, driving, it was about ten years ago...things have changed no doubt, again just asking for advice here. B) We have two months to spare. Are you suggesting we hop in are car and go drive the route and blow the first week or two of said two months just to "go there"? Why not simply take into account what experienced, opened minded people in here suggest instead?

"Alright, assuming there is/was some real interest behind this."
What the heck does this comment suppose to mean? Of course there is real intereat here. That is an awfully condescending response, if you ask me.

You can use an electric winch for "car topping" the yak and a manual option if need be via block and tackle - sailors usually know how to methodically and safely stow and raise/lower large heavy objects. Will it be a pain versus a trailer - sure, but we are looking for small footprint and to mitigate risk of theft or dealing with towing drama whole only launching periodically.

"Are you sure you had a sailboat, and have a kayak now?"
Wtf? Why would you talk to someone this way? Have you not met people in Baja who were experienced, capable and intelligent cruisers but had to switch to an RV because of old age or disability?!
Wow, thanks for your responses, makes me feel really welcome here buddy!

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

[/rquote]

Need to get your ducks in row. Being physically present there usually helps. Yes, like in "going there", traveling.

You don't cartop a heavy 18ft kayak on class A, and it will be a pain with class C as well. "possible", not "enjoyable".

"THE trip"? You don't need an RV for once in your lifetime trip.

Alright, assuming there is/was some real interest behind this... Still don't understand why don't you actually go to Baja. With a kayak on top of a pickup. Maybe you won't even like it here.

Alright, "assuming"...

1) Truck camper or 20ft trailer. Either one can be had for ~10K new or in a good condition.

2) I wouldn't tow a kayak on a small trailer. I would make a rack on a pickup and throw it over.

3) I would not tow a kayak. If you already have a serviceable SUV, put a kayak on top. People carry 19ft kayaks on cars and SUV. With an extension bar (I recall Thule calls it Loader Bar) they put it on and take it down without even asking DW to help. If that "hybrid" is more like a dinghy and weighs +80lb, Ok, then DW will help you.

If you still insist on towing - then buy a small trailer. Castlecraft and others have some. Will cost 10 times less than a used RV.

Beach bungalow in Bay de LA costs $50/day. Palapa - few times less. There will be NO a/c in either one. People DON'T run a/c in Baja in November and December.
Quote:
Why? What's wrong with these for sale?

Have any experience in buying a used RV? Or used trucks? Now imagine two in one. Double the pain. Besides, like people noted, Class A and C are not for driving around - they are for traveling few thousand miles and then sitting stationary for a few weeks.

[Edited on 7-15-2017 by Alm]

[Edited on 7-17-2017 by Sailorv]
Sailorv
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2017 at 10:29 PM

Thanks Arcadist, good to know. Van is an option, like you said make it comfortable and it's a good car top option. It's under consideration. Thanks!

Quote: Originally posted by acadist  
I considered a class b or small class c but it was very difficult to find one in good enough shape in the price range you described. I gave up and put a shell and bed liner in and an extra mattress and now I have my 'po man's camper that I can crash in when I want to pull over for a rest. I had a roof rack installed for my yak, and or basket.
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 7-17-2017 at 03:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sailorv  
Alm, "need to get your ducks in a row" - ha! Um yeah we know, that is why we are posting in this forum here....asking for opinions from experienced rv'rs in Baja willing to kindly share their knowledge.

"Yes in like going there". A) Yes I have been to Baja norte, driving, it was about ten years ago...things have changed no doubt, again just asking for advice here. B) We have two months to spare. Are you suggesting we hop in are car and go drive the route and blow the first week or two of said two months just to "go there"? Why not simply take into account what experienced, opened minded people in here suggest instead?

"Alright, assuming there is/was some real interest behind this."
What the heck does this comment suppose to mean? Of course there is

real intereat here. That is an awfully condescending response, if you ask me.

You can use an electric winch for "car topping" the yak and a manual option if need be via block and tackle - sailors usually know how to methodically and safely stow and raise/lower large heavy objects. Will it be a pain versus a trailer - sure, but we are looking for small footprint and to mitigate risk of theft or dealing with towing drama whole only launching periodically.

"Are you sure you had a sailboat, and have a kayak now?"
Wtf? Why would you talk to someone this way? Have you not met people in Baja who were experienced, capable and intelligent cruisers but had to switch to an RV because of old age or disability?!
Wow, thanks for your responses, makes me feel really welcome here buddy!

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

Need to get your ducks in row. Being physically present there usually helps. Yes, like in "going there", traveling.

You don't cartop a heavy 18ft kayak on class A, and it will be a pain with class C as well. "possible", not "enjoyable".

"THE trip"? You don't need an RV for once in your lifetime trip.

Alright, assuming there is/was some real interest behind this... Still don't understand why don't you actually go to Baja. With a kayak on top of a pickup. Maybe you won't even like it here.

Alright, "assuming"...

1) Truck camper or 20ft trailer. Either one can be had for ~10K new or in a good condition.

2) I wouldn't tow a kayak on a small trailer. I would make a rack on a pickup and throw it over.

3) I would not tow a kayak. If you already have a serviceable SUV, put a kayak on top. People carry 19ft kayaks on cars and SUV. With an extension bar (I recall Thule calls it Loader Bar) they put it on and take it down without even asking DW to help. If that "hybrid" is more like a dinghy and weighs +80lb, Ok, then DW will help you.

If you still insist on towing - then buy a small trailer. Castlecraft and others have some. Will cost 10 times less than a used RV.

Beach bungalow in Bay de LA costs $50/day. Palapa - few times less. There will be NO a/c in either one. People DON'T run a/c in Baja in November and December.
Quote:
Why? What's wrong with these for sale?

Have any experience in buying a used RV? Or used trucks? Now imagine two in one. Double the pain. Besides, like people noted, Class A and C are not for driving around - they are for traveling few thousand miles and then sitting stationary for a few weeks.

[Edited on 7-15-2017 by Alm][/

[Edited on 7-17-2017 by Sailorv][/

Welcome Sailor; BN is a good place, just too many people with too much time on their hands :lol:

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2017 at 06:20 PM

With lot of experience driving Cabo to San Diego with all kinds of RV setups and lately in the car, I'll offer my two cents. Buying a $10K RV for Baja will be just fine, probably.

Some people worry too much. Sure, things might break. The frig might stop working. The AC could crap out. Cabinetry might rattle loose. So what? Deal. You're in Baja. It's fun! The sun is shining!

The rig will most likely have relatively low miles for its age, but even so you might have a mechanical problem. But hey, Mexicans know how to fix it, guaranteed.

It is kind of scary when the road narrows in one of the few old sections that hasn't been upgraded. Big trucks passing in the other direction get close. Whew! That was exciting! What an adventure!

So ya don't put in too many hours behind the wheel. You stay fresh and you can take a nap in your own bed when you need to.

And then there you are. You are the guy pulled right out to the edge of the beach with the cool old RV, dug in for the season. Tan feet. Bliss.

The best RV is the one you find that has the right feel and fits your mojo. They most all make it down and back just fine. And think about a little motor bike to put on that trailer next to the yak. It'll get you and the Mrs. to town for supplies now and then when you need em.

You have the extreme luxury of time. The best tool in the toolbox. Have a great time indeed!

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2017 at 06:40 PM

Any RV you get (trailer, C or A) that is "older" and "cheaper" WILL have some issues. If you buy it they're yours! When I say ANY I mean ANY, OK. Been there done that on Cs, As and TTs. If you don't know what to look for before you buy-educate yourself. Many websites on RVing to learn from. Biggest issues- water leaks from rain, appliances that don't work. If you have a refridge in it and it is an RV unit, make damn sure it works (takes a full day to tell) They are expensive to replace.
I've gone through Cs and As and now pull a TT BUT down there (been there, done that for 40 years) I'm now in the rent a room club instead of pulling.
The cab-over camper on a 3/4 ton may be the right decision here. Put the yak on top. Get used to Baja before you jump in with a big purchase. Clean up camp, lock it up and go yaking! Lots less to worry about. Again, look for water leaks in what ever you buy. Look inside top cabinets to see stains on the ceiling. If it leaks-take a walk.

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2017 at 10:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

I've written a long post about RVing in Baja but after reading this post, deleted mine and agreeing with {cabover or a van}.

I suggest skipping the RV for now.

I should've done the same - agree without providing any info.

There appears to be a cognitive disconnect - most advice falls on deaf ears. The few that do get through, fall somewhere close to the rest. Could be another "dmer".

Suggestion to go travel, for as much time as you need, with a truck and kayak, before deciding on a used RV - explaining all the why's (was it 3 times, 4?) - No, wouldn't blow a week or two on just going there, how could you people suggest this? :)

I won't even comment on preconceived notions (of the OP) on RV living, towing, winching, beach camping. Doesn't seem to help.

[Edited on 7-19-2017 by Alm]
Sailorv
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2017 at 10:49 PM

Rock on!!! Thanks for the shout out. Ha, we'll put! :)
Good things most are cool people....like you!

Welcome Sailor; BN is a good place, just too many people with too much time on their hands :lol:[/rquote]
Sailorv
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2017 at 11:02 PM

Hi El Jefe,
Thanks for your detailed reply! I agree most worry too much - I know I fall in that category. If I were doing this alone or with most other men I would not consider a 10k rig. No way. However, my partner has decades of experience fixing, restoring and reengineering vehicles and boats. He has been described as Macgyver. Therefore, it is not a concern. We will have spares and tools/materials to jury rig if necessary. Having owned many boats we know how to be self reliant and to make safe, smart decision's and know when to step back and all/ask for help.

Making due with lots of ice runs for a cooler if/when the refer quits or no ice and making due with with dry goods is not an issue. For example - today we are at anchor in 100f, ran low on fuel for the Honda 2000 so just went with awesome packaged Indian food for lunch instead - no biggie.
I personally am looking fwd to being in an affordable country to be able to support as many restaurantsas possible too :)

Love your analogy - we are totally on the same wave length. We hope to share our water toys with others on the beach h and do potluck's n such. Just tonight we did so on the water and had a fabulous time. The whole.cruising a sailboat and rv has the great side effects if ability to meet some really cool people, share ad experience together some great memories and open your mind to other walks of life or other possibilities or ways of looking at or living life differently from yours. Oh and your rec on the motorbike....that one is going to make my hubby very pleased.

Hope to meet you down there :)

Cheers!

Quote: Originally posted by El Jefe  
With lot of experience driving Cabo to San Diego with all kinds of RV setups and lately in the car, I'll offer my two cents. Buying a $10K RV for Baja will be just fine, probably.

Some people worry too much. Sure, things might break. The frig might stop working. The AC could crap out. Cabinetry might rattle loose. So what? Deal. You're in Baja. It's fun! The sun is shining!

The rig will most likely have relatively low miles for its age, but even so you might have a mechanical problem. But hey, Mexicans know how to fix it, guaranteed.

It is kind of scary when the road narrows in one of the few old sections that hasn't been upgraded. Big trucks passing in the other direction get close. Whew! That was exciting! What an adventure!

So ya don't put in too many hours behind the wheel. You stay fresh and you can take a nap in your own bed when you need to.

And then there you are. You are the guy pulled right out to the edge of the beach with the cool old RV, dug in for the season. Tan feet. Bliss.

The best RV is the one you find that has the right feel and fits your mojo. They most all make it down and back just fine. And think about a little motor bike to put on that trailer next to the yak. It'll get you and the Mrs. to town for supplies now and then when you need em.

You have the extreme luxury of time. The best tool in the toolbox. Have a great time indeed!
Sailorv
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2017 at 11:11 PM

Thanks Cliffy, sound advice! Yep, we definitely realize athat that price point there will be lrojects. Thanks for mentioning that it takes a day to tell on the fridge. We will definitely be thorough and my partner, as mentioned in previous posts, has a very good sense with experience at assessing what i's about to go and what just needs a tweak and thanks to technology even during a viewing it's easy to find out how much.

Cliffy, would/could you feel comfortable leaving your pooch in the truck camper with the genny running for A/C if it's the afternoon? Up here in the SF Bay it never gets that hot to worry about this when leaving her for a few hours on board and we have always been tight enough with neighbor's that in case of emergency they could come get her off.

We have wondered.....if we wanna go for a 4 hr trip is it plausible to ask someone to watch her and say thank you with some drinks or dinner?

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
Any RV you get (trailer, C or A) that is "older" and "cheaper" WILL have some issues. If you buy it they're yours! When I say ANY I mean ANY, OK. Been there done that on Cs, As and TTs. If you don't know what to look for before you buy-educate yourself. Many websites on RVing to learn from. Biggest issues- water leaks from rain, appliances that don't work. If you have a refridge in it and it is an RV unit, make damn sure it works (takes a full day to tell) They are expensive to replace.
I've gone through Cs and As and now pull a TT BUT down there (been there, done that for 40 years) I'm now in the rent a room club instead of pulling.
The cab-over camper on a 3/4 ton may be the right decision here. Put the yak on top. Get used to Baja before you jump in with a big purchase. Clean up camp, lock it up and go yaking! Lots less to worry about. Again, look for water leaks in what ever you buy. Look inside top cabinets to see stains on the ceiling. If it leaks-take a walk.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-23-2017 at 04:10 AM

It IS possible to ask someone to watch your dog.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2017 at 02:09 PM

... 10k rig. No way. However, my partner has decades of experience fixing, restoring and reengineering vehicles and boats. He...

Would've been a good idea to tell this up front - that you're asking for advice on behalf of somebody else, you are not looking forward to learning about these things personally, you just want an RV, and you think that your partner will fix it.

People would know what king of response to expect then, and wouldn't try explaining things to you.

Tell your partner to go to rv.net forum, section Class C or Class A.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2017 at 02:20 PM

Cliffy, would/could you feel comfortable leaving your pooch in the truck camper with the genny running for A/C if it's the afternoon?

Don't know if Cliffy would/could, but neighbors on the camp probably wouldn't feel comfortable.

Again, - tell you partner to go to rv.net and ask about leaving the generator running unattended.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-23-2017 at 02:44 PM

He has already proven he is adaptable and creative...Preparing an Indian lunch when the generator is low on fuel..wow...I had to drink red wine out of a white wine glass once, when the dishwasher was broke and the housekeeper was on day off...We old Baja guys are tough...

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.