Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Driving vs Flying w/kids to Cabo Pulmo Dec 18 - Jan 12 2017/18
Tres Rios
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 04:06 PM

Y estamos manejando una 2011 Honda Pilot AWD con aggressive llantas. Como creas esta bien????
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 04:23 PM

TresRios, you definitely made the right choice, and thanx for the extra info. Your OP was a poser, and with facts out you're ok to go now. Have a wunnerful trip and as it's your first Baja road party listen to folks when they tell you to be SAFE on the roads, that's your biggest worries is the long drive times. Slow, steady, and don't push it. Take each day easy, no over-doing to 'get somewhere', and be malleable to changes in itinerary; talk with folks such as yourself and glean info on the best places to be next; don't rely on a set schedule to the 'T'.

Buena Suerte, welcome to the boards, and try to ignore the little petty disputes some idjits have with other members. :coolup:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 04:50 PM

YOu will love the drive...it's always interesting and so many beautiful spots to stop! The kids would LOVE camping in the whale lagoons...they are super safe and fun for the whole family. The kids and you wife will be baja hooked in no time!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Tres Rios
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 06:18 PM

Thanks for the input from everyone. We're driving!!!
Love,
The Wife
Tres Rios
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 06:52 PM

Enter through Tecate or Tiajuana????
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 07:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tres Rios  
Enter through Tecate or Tiajuana????

Mexicali
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 07:09 PM

Mexicali!
:)
Tres, welcome to Baja Nomad!
Please see my trip reports for camping and motel ideas... plus awesome natural and historic attractions.
I am happy to help. I am on the road now, so my replies may be delayed.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 7-27-2017 at 07:11 PM

TJ, come home via Mexicali. Spend the night in Ensenada and head south in the morning. Come home the cortez side, see a bunch O Baja.

2011 Honda Pilot AWD es bueno.

[Edited on 7-28-2017 by MMc]

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2017 at 09:55 AM

Enter Tecate. Nice drive from there down to Ensenada through wine country. I agree that west side down and east side up is the way to go. That way you see both. Your Honda Pilot is a great ride for Baja. I drive mine up and back once a year. We live out the east cape road and it handles the dirt just fine.

Good decision on driving. Making the trip in this manner is the best thing you can do for your kids. You will make memories that will last a lifetime for you as well as them. We made the drive almost every year starting in the 80's while the kids were growing up. They still talk fondly about those trips.

Now we have grandkids that fly in with our grown kids. Wonderful to have them at the house, but I always have to think they are missing something when they pass on the drive due to time constraints. Lucky you for having three weeks. Have a wonderful trip.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
Tres Rios
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2017 at 09:28 AM

we will actually have 27 days in baja.... cant wait. Thanks Everyone
Tres Rios
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2017 at 01:39 PM

We have 11 days to get down to Cabo Pulmo to hook up with some friends who are flying in. 10 days in CP area with them. and 6 days to get back home. So I was thinking down Cortez side and back Pacific side. What's Hwy 5 like past San Felipe???? ;)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-31-2017 at 01:52 PM

Beautiful!
No crowds
No city traffic (less Mexicali and San Felipe)
50 old paved road miles with many sharp dips (SanFelipe-Puertecitos)
70 new paved miles (new report today on Nomad says)
5 easy graded dirt miles.
I will confirm the newest section of Hwy. 5 that just opened with exact mileage figures, very soon.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2017 at 05:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tres Rios  
We have 11 days to get down to Cabo Pulmo to hook up with some friends who are flying in. 10 days in CP area with them. and 6 days to get back home. So I was thinking down Cortez side and back Pacific side. What's Hwy 5 like past San Felipe???? ;)

It's very good, especially around Gonzaga.

Pro tip, stop at the fireworks stand just before San Felipe and buy a bunch. Don't let anything off in your hands other than smoke bombs or something lite. Even the roman candles can go bad. But they are awesome if you play it safe. We always load up on big rockets. Best part of the trip for my kids.

Another reason to go down the East coast and not the Pacific side (besides avoiding the horrible traffic and the windy ride through the mountains after San Quintin).

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2017 at 09:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
TJ, come home via Mexicali. Spend the night in Ensenada and head south in the morning. Come home the cortez side, see a bunch O Baja.

Quote: Originally posted by El Jefe  
Enter Tecate. Nice drive from there down to Ensenada through wine country. I agree that west side down and east side up is the way to go.

Very bad advice. Pacific side has way too much traffic. Plus you are taking them through the most treacherous part of the Baja highway, San Quintin to Catavina.

Much better to go down through the 5 from Mexicali and avoid all that. He's traveling with the wife and kids. That drive will freak the wife out for sure.

[Edited on 8-1-2017 by JZ]
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 7-31-2017 at 11:54 PM

We will disagree on this, few services, less traffic. I love the drive down the Pacific much more than the cortez side but am water oriented.

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by MMc  

]

Quote: Originally posted by El Jefe  
Enter Tecate. Nice drive from there down to Ensenada through wine country. I agree that west side down and east side up is the way to go.

Very bad advice. Pacific side has way too much traffic. Plus you are taking them through the most treacherous part of the Baja highway, San Quintin to Catavina.

Much better to go down through the 5 from Mexicali and avoid all that. He's traveling with the wife and kids. That drive will freak the wife out for sure.

[Edited on 8-1-2017 by JZ]

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.