Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: US government spending $600K to rescue Mexican porpoises
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2017 at 08:04 PM
US government spending $600K to rescue Mexican porpoises

Video

SAN DIEGO, Calif. (News 8) -- United States taxpayers will pay more than $600,000 for a daring rescue operation in Mexico aimed at rounding up porpoises in the Sea of Cortez.

A CBS News 8 investigation uncovered the federal money being spent to capture the endangered vaquita and place the marine mammals into a seaside breeding program near San Felipe.

For years, illegal gillnet fishing nets have been drowning vaquita in the upper Sea of Cortez. There are only 30 of the small porpoises left and none have ever been captured alive.

Volunteers with Sea Shepherd Conservation Society have spent the past two years patrolling Mexican waters with ships and drones, removing the nets that trap and kill the vaquita.

“It's been very successful. We've taken 450 illegal nets out of the water along with long lines. We've caught numerous poachers with our drones and night vision,” said Captain Paul Watson, Sea Shepherd president and founder.

This coming October, an international team of scientists will try to capture up to ten of the endangered porpoises and put them into seaside pens on the Sea of Cortez.

“The clock is ticking. We're down to the last few opportunities to save the species from extinction. And we should go out in the field with every tool that might possibly work,” said NOAA Marine Biologist Barbara Taylor in an interview earlier this year.

The team plans to use U.S. Navy bottlenose dolphins trained in San Diego Bay to locate and track the vaquita porpoises in Mexico.

Staff and scientists from NOAA’s Southwest Fisheries Science Center in La Jolla will also be part of the five-week roundup effort.

CBS News 8 obtained hundreds of pages of records and emails related to the vaquita operation from the U.S. Navy under a Freedom of Information Act request.

The documents showed the Navy plans to spend $415,000 on training its bottlenose dolphins and deploying them to Mexico. A spokesperson for the Navy Marine Mammal Program did not respond to a request for comment on the costs.

The military plans to use the U.S. Coast Guard to transport the Navy dolphins to the Sea of Cortez, according to the records.

NOAA’s team of scientists from La Jolla will cost $198,294, a NOAA spokesperson estimated in an emailed accounting. The NOAA costs include wages, overtime, travel and vehicle expenses.

Total cost to U.S. taxpayers will be more than $613,000.

Animal activists worry it’s a risky roundup.

“I would recommend they spend that money on enforcement to stop these poachers from going in there,” said Captain Watson with Sea Shepherd.

“First of all, the captive breeding program is probably not going to work. There's no evidence that the vaquita can actually live in captivity. There's no evidence they can be captured alive. It's never been done,” Watson said.

But supporters of the captive breeding plan insist it’s the last chance to save the vaquita porpoise.

“It’s already very late in the game to be taking animals out (of the wild) and we just can't afford to wait another year to see whether a miracle happens and the gillnetting is actually stopped,” said NOAA’s Barbara Taylor.

The Mexican government has pledged $3 million to build sea pens and onshore pens near San Felipe.

Enrique2012
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2017 at 07:15 AM

600k is a drop in the bucket compared to what we spend to rescue their people...
Gscott
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2017 at 05:04 AM

If the US wants to help the Sea of Cortez they will tear down a couple dams and restore the Colorado River flows. But that will cost a lot more.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2017 at 01:07 PM

The SOC is a tributary of the Pacific Ocean...not the Colorado River.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-16-2017 at 01:47 PM

Good to see your wisdom here, still Dennis! Hope you are doing well!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2017 at 02:10 PM

Thanks David. I watch....I see....I'll come and go as the garbage settles to the bottom of the dumpster and takes a nap.
All is good....Hope the same for you and yours as well. Thanks.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-16-2017 at 04:56 PM

The upper part of the SOC pre-damn dams was a verdant paradise, comparable to every major river estuary on the globe if not the most verdant. It had millions of flamingos at nesting season much like the bays that now support whale calving, thanks to humanitarian efforts to bring them all back. Since the complete devastation of the silt and re-'forestation' of the north SOC it has caused total desertification of the northern 1/3rd of the entire area, more so than over-fishing has. "The toe-bone's connected to the ... foot-bone" etc.

Those of us George Washington Hayduke fans await the ultimate re-forestation of the SOC, and the naming of Dominy Falls, the future rapid made by the rubble of Glen Canyon Dam after George sinks his houseboat. Want a good read to realize the extent of the Colorado damming project? TRY "Glen Canyon" by Steve Hannon (I hope). Of course, on this site there's no human interference with nature IF it concerns us, the U.S., just the Japanese, the Mexicans, etc etc etc. Of course, NO global warming, and if the Coyote palm trees are ok, all is well, right? YAWWWN.

The damn dams have EVERYTHING to do with the devastation of the SOC. :smug:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Archie
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2017 at 06:15 PM

For 1/3 of that monies i can tell you two things:

1. They will not recover the species. Its already gone.
2. Its absence will not have any effect, negative or positive, in the ecosystem.

Cash its ok, ill bring my gunny sack.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2017 at 06:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Archie  

1. They will not recover the species. Its already gone.
2. Its absence will not have any effect, negative or positive, in the ecosystem.

I'm of the same opinion.

On the related Colorado River delta topic:

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 8-17-2017 at 02:29 AM

Mind blowing!

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-17-2017 at 10:09 AM

I am the never give up type of person so I wouldnt give up till the overweight lady sings. I doubted the pronghorn project would ever work and it is a resounding success.

The fact that VAquitas have never been raised in captivity or live captured doesnt mean it cant be done. Nature has an incredible ability to recover given the chance.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.