BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: San Felipe to Cabo trip planning.........
Sr.vienes
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2017 at 05:21 PM
Cruising

I would get on Blue latitude press and order Shawn Breeding and Heather Bansmers' book on cruising the Sea of Cortez. A whole lot of really good info and maps. Nice guys also.
fishin_pol

[*] posted on 8-31-2017 at 11:19 AM

Good stuff coming out of this thread. I'm aware that the wind can be devastating depending on where you are and what time of year. My thought was that the beginning of winter winds (October, November) would be the best time to go. at least I would have the wind at my back. Usually those winds come in 3's, that is, wicked winds for 3 days in a row then settles down for a while. I'm not aware of constant southern winds as I'm not down there in the summer. I've not seen bad southern winds for days upon days, at least not as bad as the north winds.

I already have a handheld and a boat VHF with the 25w power to broadcast, and an appropriate antenna, I just don't mount it for San Diego fishing. My handheld GPS sux, Garmin, so I have to upgrade.

Having connections on the way down would be awesome and look forward to setting them up if available.

This trip is not a marathon race and would thing I'd like a month to pull it off. Any equipment breakdown would most likely be the motor and if that goes then it's all about getting out of the water and calling it quits. And if that happens, hopefully I'm not super remote.

Since I like the month of October, I have a little over a year to plan it out, as it would be next year, not next month. :)
yumawill
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2017 at 12:24 PM

Sail idea is good. As a sailor may I suggest a "Dagger Board". Keeps you on a true course and will help you go upwind a little. Vaya con Dios mi amigo.
geronimo21
Junior Nomad

Mood: A Baja State of Mind

[*] posted on 10-26-2017 at 02:36 AM

DavidK, that story had me riveted at my computer for hours...following his every new adventure. I would come out of the room where the computer was every so often to tell my wife about each new exciting part. She finally said to me, "why don't you call him. It sounds like you guys could be friends." So, I think I sent him an e-mail...and then we ended up talking by phone, meeting up a couple of times. He even invited me on one of his trips to San Juanico...Carlos was a very cool dude. What a tragic loss.

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Read this, L.A. to the Colorado River Delta by panga, around the coast of Baja... done by our late friend, Carlos Fiesta, about 15 years ago...
http://www.bajaexpo.com/adventure.htm
fishin_pol

[*] posted on 9-14-2018 at 01:11 PM

Yearly update:

I took a temp contract job last September (2017) that lasted 5 months, so trip planning was dropped cold. But now I'm back in the game. I'll be doing some modifications to the boat this winter and try to get a ride back if and when I do the trip. Plan is still October, but not this year, I will shoot for 2019. I've done some mpg measurements and I got 12 mpg on one trip and when I put the fins back on the cav plate, I got even better, 26 miles on 1.75 gallons comes to 14+ mpg. This was with a full load also, well a 230 lb guest was on board.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2018 at 11:06 AM

wow! the dream is still alive!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
fishin_pol

[*] posted on 4-18-2020 at 05:19 PM

UPDATE:

Broken wrist this winter (feb 14th Valentines day at the Mexicali border)

So I'm going to miss the 2020 campaign and shoot for 2021.

Got oars now for safety, and launch wheels for the transom.

Overhauled the motor this winter, starter motor got stuck and clutch was nfg.

Have to run the motor a lot this summer to make sure things are ok.

Getting ready to repaint the inside and fix all the stuff that needs fixin.

Doing a pre run trip from my campo to Gonzaga (120 miles round trip) to see how that goes, in the fall.

[Edited on 4-19-2020 by fishin_pol]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.