Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Havana Club rum
Arthur
Nomad

biggrin.gif posted on 2-18-2005 at 09:38 PM
Havana Club rum

Has anyone run across Havana Club rum in northern Baja? We have found it in Loreto, but didn't see it in Rosarito Beach the last time we stopped there for supplies. It's a fine rum, light or dark.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 09:50 PM

I once bought Havana Club Anejo from the Gigante in Ensenada because it was cheap. This rum was made in Mexico under authorization from Havana Club. In my opinion, it doesn't hold a candle to the real thing - the Mexican Havana Club was harsh. I prefer to sip the golden Anejo rum straight; if mixed, the Mexican Havan Club could be ok, but sometimes you can find Bacardi cheaper.
Arthur
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 10:11 PM

We must have gotten the real thing in Loreto, then, because it was mellower than Bacardi. Maybe it was just the mango juice we were mixing it with, though. Can you tell from the label where it's made?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 10:17 PM

Arthur, check your U2U!:biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 10:25 PM

Yes Arthur, the label of what I had indicated that it is a product of Mexico under authorization from Havana Club. The real Havan Club Anejo (golden) is so smooth that I think it is a shame to mix anything with it. It is important to sip it from little shot-glasses or small cups, or one could easily get a bit carried away with it if drinking straight from the bottle; that is one of the things I know for certain. I like the plata (clear) mixed with Coke. I also like to mix a bit of coconut rum (about 1/4 shot) with a shot of clear rum, and add watered down pineapple juice and ice. A shortie Montecristo goes well with this drink.

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 10:28 PM
Cuban Rum...

We also bought some Ron Cuban at the Gigante in Ensenada on this last trip south in January...Don't remember the name, but it was the only CUBAN rum on their shelves. I Don't think it was Mexican made under license, as it was Primo stuff, smooth stuff!

I have to admit, I drank the whole bottle myself...over several days, of course! I don't drink a lot of Ron y Coca here at home...but in Baja with that yummy Mexican Coca Cola that's made with real Cane Sugar - those drinks slide right down!

We did bring back home a couple of cases of Mexican Coca Cola to enjoy...I've even read on the Internet where there's a cottage industry of people who re-sell Mexican Coca Cola here in the US.

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
briantroy
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 11:12 PM
Havana Club

Had some in Barcelona and again in Ensenada. Don't remember anything else.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 2-19-2005 at 07:22 AM
try Appletons (or Applewhites?)

from puerto rico, it's available in mexico - the high end line is sippin stuff, don't mix - and it's not too pricey - really smooth, tasty....

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.