BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Websites for border crossing wait times?
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2017 at 04:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Figure 45 seconds per car, mas o menos, standard (izquierda) la
[Edited on 9-16-2017 by SFandH]

Just now did a quick calculation using your 45 sec. per car for
the reg car lanes, compared it to the CBP crossing time site,
the radio site came in at 49.75 min. for the crossing time,
the CBP site has 50 min., so they agree, don't know exactly how that translates to real time accuracy. I too have
been asked walking back by CBP as how long it took

That's interesting info! Good to hear there can be an agreement in the two different methods to arrive at the same conclusion.

Another important factor is how long it takes you to get to the border after you check the data. Wait times can change pretty quickly.

I cross regularly and have found knowing how long it is going to take reduces the anxiety I feel in line, even if I'm forced to cross when the wait is long.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2017 at 05:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

the radio site came in at 49.75 min. for the crossing time,
the CBP site has 50 min., so they agree, don't know exactly how that translates to real time accuracy. I too have
been asked walking back by CBP as how long it took

Sure they agree sometimes. A broken clock is right twice a day :)...
Asking a driver is the only direct measurement - though I'm skeptical as to the accuracy, very few people know exactly how long it took them.

Yes, they switch lanes when they have to. Saw this in Otay - there was a light traffic in Ready and Sentri, so they let people from Regular into the adjacent one or two Ready, where the concrete divider ends before the gates.
fandango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2017 at 07:43 PM

I use an app on my iPhone and iPad called "border traffic".

It is for San ysidro and otay and shows the lines via multiple live cameras.

You can also check cameras showing the lines entering Mexico.

sbwontoo
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2017 at 10:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

Asking a driver is the only direct measurement - though I'm skeptical as to the accuracy, very few people know exactly how long it took them.

I totally agree, these times are at best a ballpark figure,
as the example of yesterday, Sat. afternoon 3 pm, a TJ
reg lane crossing of 50 min., I think most of us would
except the worse when coming back at TJ, and have rarely
been anything but frustrated, always leaves a bad taste
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2017 at 11:07 AM

CBP lies through their tax-payer bought teeth. It has never been in their best interest to divulge wait times to the bad guys, and customer service is not their main goal or motivation.
Add to that.......long wait times produce loud complaints all the way back to the source, and complaints result in higher funding. This has been their game plan since day one.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2017 at 01:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fandango  
I use an app on my iPhone and iPad called "border traffic".

It is for San ysidro and otay and shows the lines via multiple live cameras.

You can download the app, yes. They won't let you watch the cams without the app. Clicking on SY or Otay, and then on the camera icon would redirect you to paid subscription.

As noted few times here, the situation is dynamic, they switch lanes and the traffic changes by itself too. You arrive at the end of the line 15 minutes later, and waiting time could be +30 or -30 minutes from what it was. So... relax, make sure your A/C works and don't drink coffee before getting in the car :). First and foremost - relax. You can't change it.
gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2017 at 01:46 PM

Unexpected things can happen at the border. Years ago before Sentri I arrived at the San Ysidro crossing to find short lines with everyone standing outside their cars. I got out of my car and asked the person in front of me what was happening. "Una balacera" was the answer. A shoot-out!

I carefully backed out until I could turn around and then drove the wrong way on the one-way entrance. I headed to Otay and found the normal access off of Bellas Artes blocked by a policeman. I decided to take the toll road to Tecate, crossed with no wait, and drove Hiighway 94 back to I-805. I made it home at a reasonable time.

It turned out that Otay was jammed and the San Ysidro crossing was closed until the next morning. I had made the right decision.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2017 at 08:52 AM

I'm convinced that the line I'm in moves faster when I give the legless, armless, and/or blind people 10 pesos. I'm a sucker for old ladies too. Be compassionate to the folks that obviously need it. Make sure to take some coins with you.

[Edited on 9-18-2017 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.