Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Loreto
pascuale
Nomad

Mood: Lets fish!

[*] posted on 2-20-2005 at 05:56 PM
Loreto

heading down on AeroMexico march 6-10. Were gonna be staying at Cocos cabanas. I have never fished Loreto before but need some advice on what is essential to bring. I just went to Squidco and got some 60lb and 80lb leader as well as a bunch of Irons and hooks. Any suggestions guys? Also, where are the best places to eat? Do any of you know if AeroMexico charges for a PVC Rod holder?
Ethan
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2005 at 08:28 PM
Eats and rod cases

I believe your rod case counts as one piece of luggage. You are allowed three so its no big deal. I don't even think they are enforcing this right now. Eats---well I like the little local mexican places. El Sinolense just west of the Mercado Pescador is good. Tacos del Rey on Benito Juarez just below El Taste is very good when they are open. Tio Lupes is good and so is the place next to McCaws. Tacos de Reyna at night accross the street from Mc Lulus is very good. There is a small resturant just on the other side of the dirt street below Comex Paint and west of the big Pemex. Also around the corner from the Pescador ---turn right at the four way light and and right again at the first strret that you come to. Best super burrito I have ever had. Also good hamburgers and burritos at Clara Davis' little stand across the street from Ram Auto Parts. Stay out of the expensive gringo type joints. One exception is El Nido at the top of town on Salvaterria. Oh, great tacos at the family house just west of Deportes Blazar down by the plaza. Theres more, but that should hold you for a while. By the way, if you should catch some fish, you can have it cooked any way you like it at La Palapa on Salvatierra for $3.00 and that includes rice, beans, tortillas and a big dish of different salsas. Okay?

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
pascuale
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2005 at 10:09 PM

Hey Sharky,
I really appreciate your help. Sounds like you just returned from an awesome trip down there. I look foward to eating at all those places you mentioned. Assuming you know where Cocos Cabanas is (Calle Davis), are there some good places within walking distance to have a few cold ones after a tough day out on the water?
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2005 at 08:43 AM
Bait and cold ones

I know Calle Davis, but am not sure about where your hotel is--I am not familiar with it. However, fear not, there are places to buy beer everywhere you look in Mexico. Unless you want to hook up with a hooker, I would stay away from Bar El Marlin, El Messie and Julios. As for bait, there is plenty of bait to be had in the Loreto area now and no one is buying bait. There is no law requiring you to buy bait. Its easy to make and plentyfull. Just make sure everyone on the boat has a fishing permit as they will check you from time to time. Lots of yellowtail and no need to go far. Have a good time.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
Socalz

[*] posted on 2-21-2005 at 11:23 AM

My information is dated since I usually drive down and don't fly to Loreto anymore. Aero California used to allow two pieces of checked luggage and one carry-on or a rod case, a 48 quart ice chest, one piece of checked luggage, and one carry-on. I'd assume AeroMexico would have similar rules, but check in advance.

I'd put all my reels into my carry-on and all my tackle went into a Baja-style tackle bag that made the trip in the checked luggage. Of course hooks, pliers, fillet knives, etc. are a no-no in your carry-on. Bring a roll of duct tape for sealing up your ice chest full of fillets on the return trip.

For yellowtail fishing I'd take leader material (like you mentioned), a few 8 and 12 oz. torpedo sinkers, 6/0 thru 8/0 hooks, and a few Lucky Joes or Yozuri bait catching rigs. We'd also carry a few leadheads and some plastics just in case the seas got rough and we would fish near the rocks in the lee of the islands. I'd also always bring an assortment of Salas 6x jigs, but more often than not, wouldn't end up using them.

For me, no Loreto trip is complete without eating at El Nido at least once, breakfast (on non-fishing days) at Cafe Ole and the taco stands Sharky mentioned (my son and I met Sharky at one a few years ago so be careful who you sit next to!). ;D

Enjoy your trip and let us know how you did.

[Edited on 2-22-2005 by Socalz]
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2005 at 01:23 PM
Fishing Capt.

I would suggest fishing with my old and Dear friend Alvaro Murillo Tele-50928 or ask on the marina at the South corner of the marina. His Panga is the" Sylvia 3"

Skeet/Loreto
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 2-21-2005 at 01:31 PM

check out Fly Fishing Pam's trips. every one licks them .

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Tommy A
Nomad

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 2-21-2005 at 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Socalz
I'd put all my reels into my carry-on and all my tackle went into a Baja-style tackle bag that made the trip in the checked luggage. Of course hooks, pliers, fillet knives, etc. are a no-no in your carry-on.

Remember that the reels you put in the carry-on can't have line attached.
Socalz

[*] posted on 2-21-2005 at 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tommy A

Remember that the reels you put in the carry-on can't have line attached.

That's good to know. I'd hate to sit there and strip 350 yards of mono off each of the 6 reels in the airport.
pascuale
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2005 at 04:34 PM

Thanks for your help guys, Im actually fishing with Bajabigfish co. Pam seems like a nice lady and her guides look pretty good. I heard there is lots of squid that the yellows are eating so i was thinking about bringing those yozuri squid trolling lures. Also Will 30 or 40lb mono with 60-80lb leader be sufficient? Its gonna be alot of fun.
Socalz

[*] posted on 2-21-2005 at 05:22 PM

E-mail Pam for tackle suggestions as she'd have the best idea of how they're being caught. For yellowtail, I've slow-trolled live mackerel near the islands on 30lb. and fished the deep reefs with 50 or 60lb, so 40lb would be a good compromise for both tasks, but 40lb would be minimum for the deep reefs, IMO.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2005 at 08:43 AM

Another good wayfor Yellows is to cut a chuck of Squid from the Skirt, put it on a good size Hook, float it on top of the Water, back off in your boat about 100 feet and await the Strike on top of the water.

If your Capt. will go North to Pulpito you may chance onto some small 20 Lb. "firecrackers" on top of the Water. 17Lb. Test on a Spinning Reel, with a small CastMaster cast across the School will bring some good fun. Skeet/Loreto
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 2-22-2005 at 02:44 PM
Hey Ethan

We're ready for you. Hope this nice weather holds out for you. We have plenty of locally made bait jigs in stock and the captains will help you successfully fish for the YT. Right now they're at the surface breezing and I don't forsee much changing between now and March 6-10. Just give me a call when you settle into the Coco Cabanas. See you soon!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.