Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: gas stations
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-23-2017 at 08:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  

Random but related fact: a soft bar of soap can be used to temporarily patch a punctured gas tank.

This is a great old-time Baja repair trick. I actually used it back in the 70s when a crack was made in my dune buggy somewhere between Gonzaga and San Felipe. Rubbed the soap bar over the crack and the gas leak stopped. I did need to do it a second time during the trip with all the bouncing.
The same source where I read about the soap bar trick also said if a gas line cracks, wrap some thread around it then rub the soap bar over the threaded line.

(Now I am curious where I read about these tricks... I will do some looking!)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 9-23-2017 at 09:19 AM

I have also heard about the soap trick but have never tried it....I have also heard that a bit of burro poo (dried) helps the soap bind together (kinda like adobe I guess)....:light:

Don't believe everything you think....
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2017 at 01:03 PM

On a PLR runs one of the Jeeps ran over a rock and punctured a hole in the oil pan. Mick stopped the leak with a bar of soap then covered it with JB Weld. She drove the Jeep back to LA and had the pan replaced or fixed.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-23-2017 at 01:57 PM

In the past, I have used an epoxy based putty to plug holes. It is a two colored strip about the consistency of window glazing putty that you knead until the color is uniform, then plug leak with it.

It doesn't drip or run, and has a user friendly working time. Heat accelerates the curing time, but I don't remember how long it takes to hold pressure (like a radiator).

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-23-2017 at 02:14 PM

I find when I have a leaky fuel hose its best to replace it...

when I have a hole in a gas tank...replace it...

when I have a flat...change the tire to one that isn't flat...

I have used a string to catch fish though : )

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Estrella
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2017 at 04:32 PM

Had to share my Baja soap bar experience..One of my first trips to Baja was in 1969 (I was in high school). I was following my friend's parents in my Rambler station wagon. We had driven to San Felipe then back up to Tecate across to Tijuana-pretty crazy drive through the mountains.. then down to San Quintin for shore fishing. It was on that stretch that I got a good hole in my gas tank a long way from anywhere and I was a little freaked out!! One of the locals said "No problemo" and handed me an old bar of soap...I looked at him like he was crazy!! Lo and behold it worked for months at a time! I kept it in my glove compartment for several years until my old faithful Rambler passed on to greener pastures. My friends would look at me strangely when I pulled that old bar of soap out of the glove compartment and crawled under the Rambler for another quick fix! The moral of the story is it works and it got another friend out of the same fix 30 years later when we were in Canada..also a long way from anywhere... luckily I had my camper and I climbed in and handed them a bar of soap..they too looked at me like I was crazy but hey it worked and they were able to drive 1500 miles home and get it replaced then!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-24-2017 at 10:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Estrella  
Had to share my Baja soap bar experience..One of my first trips to Baja was in 1969 (I was in high school). I was following my friend's parents in my Rambler station wagon. We had driven to San Felipe then back up to Tecate across to Tijuana-pretty crazy drive through the mountains.. then down to San Quintin for shore fishing. It was on that stretch that I got a good hole in my gas tank a long way from anywhere and I was a little freaked out!! One of the locals said "No problemo" and handed me an old bar of soap...I looked at him like he was crazy!! Lo and behold it worked for months at a time! I kept it in my glove compartment for several years until my old faithful Rambler passed on to greener pastures. My friends would look at me strangely when I pulled that old bar of soap out of the glove compartment and crawled under the Rambler for another quick fix! The moral of the story is it works and it got another friend out of the same fix 30 years later when we were in Canada..also a long way from anywhere... luckily I had my camper and I climbed in and handed them a bar of soap..they too looked at me like I was crazy but hey it worked and they were able to drive 1500 miles home and get it replaced then!

Wonderful story, thanks!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.