Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Seeking northbound guidance through Mexicali
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2017 at 07:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
As I said earlier, the last time I used Mexicali East was probably in 2003. The camera symbol means the chip is in there and a book is more $$ than a card, so not sure why it wouldn't work. I have both the card and book, but only use the book in Mexico as it gets stamped proving I got the tourist permit. Although the ink is so light, it is nearly impossible to read, lol.

but of course, you gotta have proof that you got a tourist permit! :no:
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 9-24-2017 at 08:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
As I said earlier, the last time I used Mexicali East was probably in 2003. The camera symbol means the chip is in there and a book is more $$ than a card, so not sure why it wouldn't work. I have both the card and book, but only use the book in Mexico as it gets stamped proving I got the tourist permit. Although the ink is so light, it is nearly impossible to read, lol.

I carry a tourist permit as proof I have a passport! :lol:

[Edited on 9-24-2017 by del mar]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-24-2017 at 08:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

Now that's funny!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2017 at 08:13 PM

Joking? No tourist permit required for traveling north thru the border. Tourist permit is for traveling south not north.What is required are passport card, passport book or drivers license for a US citizen.
So I put some notes on David's excellent map. Info you wont find until you drive that path.
After you make the right turn into the border area you end up in the no sentry/no ready lane. If you need to use those lanes then make your decision before the K rail blocks you from using one of the left lanes. Not sure if it is even possible?

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

Now that's funny!

Mex20East-1rrr.jpg - 199kB
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 08:24 AM

For much or the time at Mexicali east, for the ready and sentri lanes you must enter from the west while the normal lanes you enter from the east. There will be a policeman there directing traffic.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 12:41 PM

I always use the normal lane when I travel with trailer, but it looked like one could still squeeze into the left lanes. If Alan wants to use sentry/ready then the west approach would be good.
Instead of turning right at the Aeropuerto turn just go straight and get in line for those two left lanes. This allows a better approach from the west.
BajaGlenn
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 04:58 PM

What?? No signs???
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 07:16 AM

The signs that are there are not usually readable. Some are small. Mostly they are missing. Another example is the Aeropuerto road the David gave a map name and you will never see that sign.
Also no signs when entering from the west and do not use that entrance so I cannot help. one lane is fro sentry and the other is for ready.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 11:01 AM

As a side note, do not rely on gps directions! I have used Garmin, and TomTom automotive units (I know, I'm a dinosaur) and have gotten totally screwed up trying to find the real lane to get to the crossing!

Even the latest updates have failed to show the latest diversions, dead ends and one way streets at Tecate or Mexicali.

I use them anyway just to announce the next cross street, but just because they say "Turn here", you still have to double check!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 11:37 AM

If you trace the route that David K shows above on Google Earth you can convert it to a GPS file for down loading into your GPS. Most over the counter so to speak GPS software maps have problems you won't know about until it's to late.

A few years ago a lady and her son went to Death Valley from Vegas using their cars GPS only to end up on a sand road getting stuck and later were found dead. Why she went on a sand road instead of staying on the highway is beyond me, that should have been a red flag.
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 09:16 AM

I've used that mapped route approaching Mexicali East from the east for years and was able to enter the Ready Lane until twice last year when police were assisting traffic from the west to make the left turn into Sentri or Ready lanes and traffic from the east had to use the normal lane. Both times the Sentri/Ready lanes were backed up to the street so I don't know if it's just something they do when it's busy or if it's now policy.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 10:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Also be carefull what you wish for. Currently normal lanes 80 minutes wait.....Ready lanes 90 minute wait ... (sentri 0 minute wait).

https://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/mobile.asp?action=n&pn=2503

When I clicked your link it said 25mins for ready, 40 for normal.

I can tell you for sure it was twice as fast the last time I went through.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2017 at 10:13 PM

For much or the time at Mexicali east, for the ready and sentri lanes you must enter from the west while the normal lanes you enter from the east. There will be a policeman there directing traffic.

Yes, this is tricky part if you haven't done it before.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2017 at 08:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Yes, this is tricky part if you haven't done it before.

Thanks to all for the assist.

Spent the night at the Terrasal in GN (thank you Shari). Very clean and modern room for 550 Mx. I can't recommend the restaurant unfortunately. Do they even taste the dishes before they offer them on the menu? The other drawback was no in room coffee pot though the office offers coffee at 0645. Eager to get back on the road I went to the Pemex in town to top off my tank and grabbed a couple coffees there. Wife was showered and ready to go when I returned (it was the best shower we have ever found in Baja with real water pressure and hot).

Note to other Travelers: I was back on the road at 0500 and the Pemex station out on the hwy wasn't open yet. Thank goodness I had topped up in town.

Stopped and had coffee with Coco and he drew me a map to avoid most of the washboard headed north. Averaged 25-40 mph. Beware of the vados between Puertocitos and San Felipe. They don't look like much but some have a heck of a kicker to them. Think I was actually airborne twice!

San Felipe has definitely changed in the last 30 years but it was comforting to see change hasn't affected the Club Bar Miramar. It hasn't changed one little bit. Even has the same bartender and waiter! It was fun to take a short break from the drive and reminisce with them.

Getting through Mexicali was "almost" a piece of cake. Simply plugged Holtville into Google Maps and everything was going fine until my wife inadvertently touch the screen and we lost everything so I pulled over and had to re-enter it. Unfortunately at that point it brought me in from the east so I couldn't get to the Ready lanes!!! Once again though, Karma and living right paid off. I was stuck in the General admission lane which fed only one booth but when I got to the line of cars there were only 3 cars in front of me :lol::lol::lol:

When I got to the booth the officer must have been bored because we just sat there and chatted for at least 2 minutes.

In Memory of E-57
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2017 at 08:40 AM

All's well that ends well!
Thanks.

Curious about the "map" Coco drew...
It is only 9-10 miles from his place to the pavement and only one road, with the parallel tracks along the side of some of it (which are smoother to use, always).

Can you scan Coco's map for us? That would be fun to see!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2017 at 08:58 AM

Sorry but he drew it on the bottom of a Pacifico box and I've already tossed it. Basically you simply turn left 150 meters from his driveway and follow that until it comes back into the main road. Nice smooth sand. Once you are back on the main road there is a parallel road on the left that has much less washboard.

In Memory of E-57
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2017 at 10:40 PM

"Can you scan Coco's map for us? That would be fun to see!"
==== ====
Here is the COCO sand road. I use it every time I go south.

COCO sand roadrr.jpg - 234kB
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2017 at 08:49 AM

Great, thanks...
I have been through there many times this year but staying on the main road to record the mileage would have prevented me from trying out that route. I actually move along quite well using the parallel sand tracks along the side of the washboard roadbed.
The new highway will be open to traffic along there someday soon

wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 10-8-2017 at 11:55 AM

We visit Coco all the time, from San Felipe, and the last visit Coco said he will have to move (or build a place by the new highway) because the new highway will be miles west of his place along the mountain ridge.

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.